2021 GT Updates

Darold

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Ride365 said:

I said that same thing.......and here I am with another chain drive bike, just not many good options with a shaft unless you go Bavarian. ;)

I’m not a fan of anything bmw. I’ll most likely get a super tenere or an fjr. My wife is showing more interest in riding with me and those two would be a better option than the FJ. 

• Thumbsup 1

Let’s go Brandon

1 hour ago, Wintersdark said:

Yeah, I'm a big fan of shaft drive, but... There's just not many options, and fewer with a performance angle to them.  

Now this girl might just be the ticket, for sure what I would be writing a check for.

R1250RS_PN2T_original_2560x1440.jpg.asse

Each tour is determined by two factors: the time and the distance...

• Thumbsup 1

1 hour ago, micah2074 said:

I’m not a fan of anything bmw. I’ll most likely get a super tenere or an fjr. My wife is showing more interest in riding with me and those two would be a better option than the FJ. 

I can't really see the Super Tenere being the right way to go there if you're looking for a better two-up experience than the Tracer, unless you're intending on riding off-road.

I mean, it's a bit smoother and weaker, but... eh.  The FJR would be a much, much better choice IMHO if you're looking for comfy two-up touring, and a step up in power instead of down.  The FJR's are damn nice rides.  I suppose that depends heavily on how - and more importantly, where - you ride though.

• Thumbsup 1

6 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

I can't really see the Super Tenere being the right way to go there if you're looking for a better two-up experience than the Tracer, unless you're intending on riding off-road.

I mean, it's a bit smoother and weaker, but... eh.  The FJR would be a much, much better choice IMHO if you're looking for comfy two-up touring, and a step up in power instead of down.  The FJR's are damn nice rides.  I suppose that depends heavily on how - and more importantly, where - you ride though.

I could see it and well, have seen it :)

tl;dr It's taste and the rider IMO, all of the bikes mentioned above are great do it all rides.

My firefighter buddy replaced his totaled FJR with a SuperTen. Doesn't off-road at all. Thinks it does everything better including 2-up. He's 6'2 crossfit body and his wife is average. From IA they met me two up in Nova Scotia, and he also met me riding solo in Dawson City for the run to Prudhoe Bay. I was on my FJR. 

Have ridden Super Teneres and can see what he means but prefer the FJR other than for rider legroom.  Actually, now I prefer my FJ-09 to them all. YMMV.  

• Thumbsup 5

19 hours ago, Ride365 said:

Now this girl might just be the ticket, for sure what I would be writing a check for.

R1250RS_PN2T_original_2560x1440.jpg.asse

Each tour is determined by two factors: the time and the distance...

It is one of the best looking sport-touring machines out there. I absolutely love it and it's super comfy. However, in my opinion it has three major downfalls:

1. It's a BMW - cost of ownership and once that warranty is done, I'd be very afraid. I've never owned a BMW - so I could just be talking out of my arse - but I have heard horror stories - which you can hear about any marque if you look hard enough.

2. The price tag once you get it nicely kitted out.

3. The boxer engine. I test rode an RS and wanted to love it so badly - I just couldn't. Now that was the previous iteration of the big boxer engine - apparently they've done something to improve it. But even if so, there are still points 1 & 2 above.   

Rob

I have a few friends with BMW's "1200GS" and they've been every reliable as my Japanese bikes, and as for maintenance they do their own no problem. The boxer is either loved or hated it seems, but from 18 to current they are no slouches.

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, Ride365 said:

I have a few friends with BMW's "1200GS" and they've been every reliable as my Japanese bikes, and as for maintenance they do their own no problem. The boxer is either loved or hated it seems, but from 18 to current they are no slouches.

My experience has been the opposite. In our group the BMW's seem to be what have the most problems and are expensive to maintain.

Let’s go Brandon

I'm not a BMW fanboy for sure.  My F800GT was reliable for the 26,000 miles I had it and performed well.  Parts are expensive and hard to get sometimes - maybe easier for the boxers since there are more around.  I had a service contract.  For services from 4,000 to 32,000 miles the total cost was almost $5,000 - I paid $1,500.  My biggest beef was the inconsistent quality of service which can vary tremendously depending on the dealer.  Fit and finish on mine was close to the Honda CBR600RR I had but the service on that bike was much cheaper and better done because I did it myself.  Over the last 10 year I've looked more than once at the R1200RS but it was too big and heavy and could not compare with a CBR600RR or the Kawasaki ZX6R 636.  They do handle well but are no sport bikes unless Nate Kern is riding it :-)   I really enjoy long solo trips on my motorcycle and a Japanese bike is easier to get repaired in more remote areas of the US than a BMW.  

The FJR is a great bike, Ive thought about it a couple of times but like a smaller bike.  However if you are going to be riding 2 up the 2020 Tracer does have limitations and the FJR is a great bike.  However the 2021 Tracer looks to be improved and could be a nice middleweight suited for 2 up touring.  IMO the FJR is the smallest of the big sport touring machines and the best handling.  However when on the road touring the difference between the bikes is not that much as we never (or shouldn't) ride near the limit but rather a good sporting pace.  There are some bikes that just couldn't keep up at that pace - I'm looking at you HD :-)   A couple of years ago I came up on a couple of HD baggers coming out the east entrance of Yellowstone.  A great twisty road and although I could go a bit faster comfortably on an unknown road I chose to stay behind them as they obviously knew the road and were good riders - took too many chances passing IMO but I could always be patient and reel them in.  I was fully loaded with a duffle bag on the rear seat and were not carrying much if anything.  

• Thumbsup 3

10 hours ago, Ride365 said:

Hopefully Yamaha comes out with a new heavily updated and re-designed FJR1300, but of course the same needs to be done with the Super Tenere as well.

I thought the FJR has been retired from the Yamaha lineup? Was that only temporarily until they can make it Euro5 compliant? I got the sense that it was permanent.

Rob

3 hours ago, rlambke19 said:

I thought the FJR has been retired from the Yamaha lineup? Was that only temporarily until they can make it Euro5 compliant? I got the sense that it was permanent.

Rob

Yes it's done as we know it, just hoping that a new variant might emerge.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, Ride365 said:

Yes it's done as we know it, just hoping that a new variant might emerge.

Still available as a 2021 model  in the USA  

• Thumbsup 2

Let’s go Brandon