2021 GT Updates

Darold

So, someone posted this on the Tracer FB group. Seems more legit that most of the other sites. If it is, I'm not sure what to think to be honest...

For those who don't read Italian,  my Chrome browser was able to translate it - but it doesn't provide too much more detail than the photos. 

3bc56a20-16ad-11eb-84a4-0e1a0796d5cd_120

Avvistata a Milano la nuova Yamaha Tracer 900 in fase di servizio...

Thanks for posting up.  Interesting, not sure if I like the styling, LED headlights look nice and follow the R1 and R6 look.  IMO kind of looks like a naked with a big windscreen and fairings on the sides to smooth airflow.  Since I just purchased a 2020 I'm curious to see what I might have missed by not waiting but don't think it would have changed my decision.  I would like to see cornering ABS and better throttle response but those are not deal breakers for me.

EDIT:  Forgot to say good to see they didn't go for the adventure styling.

Edited by PhotoAl

Not sure I am a fan of the last look but if they have cornering ABS I am in.  I road 300 km yesterday on a 2018 tracer on highways and mountains. Great bike and will try to pick up a 2020 at a discount if there isn’t some major enhancement on this one. 

• Supporting Member

Looks like they may have fixed the helmet buffeting with the new wind screen. it's about time! Also looks like it got a radial master cylinder on the front brakes. 

He who dies with the most toys wins.

img.jpg?id=5f9357d82a0ab71e3c2e5b17&w=40

2021 Yamaha MT-09 Hyper Naked Motorcycle

New 20201 MT is up on their site.  TONS of changes, especially on the electronics and chassis! (the engine we already knew about )

THe ECU/IMU Chassis, and other bits probably will carry to the GT if the previous GT/MT-09 mapping were to be the same.    The Up/Down quick shift, IMU,  redesigned suspension are pretty neat. 

Edited by Clegg78
  • Thumbsup 1

37 minutes ago, Clegg78 said:
img.jpg?id=5f9357d82a0ab71e3c2e5b17&w=40

2021 Yamaha MT-09 Hyper Naked Motorcycle

New 20201 MT is up on their site.  TONS of changes, especially on the electronics and chassis! (the engine we already knew about )

THe ECU/IMU Chassis, and other bits probably will carry to the GT if the previous GT/MT-09 mapping were to be the same.    The Up/Down quick shift, IMU,  redesigned suspension are pretty neat. 

This plus the fact they haven't announced it yet bodes well for the Tracer, imo.

The MT-09 also looks a bit more pedestrian - more tame and less aggressive than it used to.

That exhaust tho' - just horrible looking.  

Just now, rlambke19 said:

This plus the fact they haven't announced it yet bodes well for the Tracer, imo.

The MT-09 also looks a bit more pedestrian - more tame and less aggressive than it used to.

That exhaust tho' - just horrible looking.  

yeah that is some chonky exhaust.  Credit Euro5.  I read up on how strict Euro 5 is, and its brutal on a bike.   There is a reason there are cat's now all the way to the front of the engine and they had to lighten the rest of the bike so much... 

• Thumbsup 1

24 minutes ago, Clegg78 said:

yeah that is some chonky exhaust.  Credit Euro5.  I read up on how strict Euro 5 is, and its brutal on a bike.   There is a reason there are cat's now all the way to the front of the engine and they had to lighten the rest of the bike so much... 

A few folks on the FB groups are saying Yamaha will announce the new Tracer in the next couple of weeks.

I'm hoping I can get down with the looks as it sounds like the other upgrades would be worth the wait.

Rob

• Thumbsup 1

Not sure if this additional torque & power is negated by the monstrous (and likely highly restrictive Euro5 controls and cat), but hopefully it can be released with an aftermarket exhaust and tune.

• 7% increase in maximum torque at lower RPM
  • 4 hp increase in maximum power

2 minutes ago, Clem Fandango said:

I don’t think the spy shot Tracer looks too bad. The new MT on the other hand, that thing is hideous. 

Agreed.

It's odd as it seems like Yamaha's styling was some of the more aggressive (maybe even progressive?) of the major brands.

The 2021 MT-09 feels like a step backwards. 

I wonder if they'll "update" the MT-10 for 2021. I always liked the "Transformer" look of that bike.

Rob