Darold

2021 GT Updates

54 minutes ago, betoney said:

Do a search on posts about hitting rocks and breaking the case open, its not pretty when it happens.  Personally, I would absolutely be looking for some sort of protection from rocks or other road debris.

Perhaps it's a bit dependent on where you drive. Never had those sort of issues on the roads over here. But thanks for sharing. I'll keep my eyes on it :)

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, nick@forceberg.net said:

Perhaps it's a bit dependent on where you drive. Never had those sort of issues on the roads over here. But thanks for sharing. I'll keep my eyes on it :)

Show they have perfect roads in Sweden? Wow 

And you look to be out in the middle of nowhere

1 hour ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Show they have perfect roads in Sweden? Wow

I know. I was pretty impressed with their roads when I drove around the country. Almost like it's an advanced nation which spends good money keeping their infrastructure up-to-date. Would that more advanced nations do the same.

More seriously - on my local Australia roads - which are rarely as good as Sweden's - I've never found a need for a sump guard on any of my road bikes. Same with the road bikes I road in the US.

To double-check, I did a web search for broken Tracer sumps in Australia and the first five pages were all ads for sump guards. So lots of people pushing products, but very little evidence of real world damage, leastwise in this part of the world.

• Thumbsup 2

The US roads are abysmal, especially in urban and suburban areas, our bridges are much worse.  Fall of an Empire. But Sweden can apparently afford to keep them pristine but then again they're only 4.5% of our size!

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

The US roads are abysmal, especially in urban and suburban areas, our bridges are much worse.  Fall of an Empire. But Sweden can apparently afford to keep them pristine but then again they're only 4.5% of our size!

Our roads are generally in great condition here. We have hard bedrock and no extreme heat etc which is always a bad thing for tarmac. On top of that we have some of the highest taxes in the world so one would assume some of that goes to keeping those roads up to date.

I lived in Dallas for a few years. Bought a Camaro ZL1 for my daily driver. Bad decision! Should had gone with a F250 or similar 😅

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 2/20/2021 at 11:33 AM, nick@forceberg.net said:

Even here, our roads vary but never so bad as to worry about my sump.  That'd take a *huge* pothole - deeper than anything I've seen on our roads - and the idea of one so large around I can't help but hit it is horrifying.  Don't think I've ever had a road bike where I've so much as scratched the undercarriage at all.  

• Thumbsup 2

Today pulling out of my driveway slightly scraped the SCR skid pan.  In my neighborhood have valley gutters so makes the entrance to my drive a bit like one side of a speed bump.  Almost always go in or out at a slight angle but forgot today.  My Honda Metropolitian scooter will really scrape if I don't go at an angle.  Made me realize that the Tracer GT while not super low is lower than I would be comfortable with on a few of the places I've been.  Happy with the skid plate.

• Thumbsup 1