2021 GT Updates

Darold

• Supporting Member

Well, things aren’t necessarily looking good for 2021 Tracer availability. My buddy has had a deposit down on a Tracer 9GT since the beginning of the year and the dealer just called him and said they don’t know when or even IF they will get one this year, and told him they were refunding his deposit.  He tried another dealer and they said the same, IF they get one, it might be July but they weren’t feeling too positive about it.

Has anyone heard anything similar from the local dealers?

• Confused 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

If I was looking I would call Vern Eide in Sioux Falls SD.  They were super nice when I bought my 2020 Tracer GT and struck me as a larger dealer that moved bikes and might have a good shot at getting a Tracer 9 GT.

Buy one from them and it would be a nice road trip to pick it up.

Edited by PhotoAl

Maybe someone else has already answered the initial question but sorry, didn't take time to go through the 41 pages of replies ;)

I found these three reviews of the Tracer 9 GT (yeah, it's the new name) and three ''essais routiers''. All in french though (but Google translate is your friend...).

Looks like there quite a number of changes (too many to write it down) but I don't know if it will be all on north american  models.

vignette-Tracer-9-GT-Yamaha-01.jpg

Yamaha renouvèle totalement sa gamme Tracer 900 pour 2021...
2021_Tracer9GT_04.jpg

Après la MT-09, c’est au tour de la Tracer 900 GT de subir un...
vignette-essai-Tracer-9.jpg

Elle était attendue, la voici : la nouvelle Yamaha Tracer 9 (et plus...
essai-yamaha-tracer-9-gt-2021.jpg

En 2021, la Tracer 9 et la Tracer 9 GT font peau neuve, et...

http://www.lerepairedesmotards.com/essais/motos/yamaha-tracer-9-gt.php

Good reading (after translation ;)

• Thanks 1

2021 Tracer GT in AUSTRALIA...... any Aussies here with a (reliable) handle on likely/ possible/ optimistic timing of arrival of the new GT on our shores?   TIA...

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member

Call Lake Hill Motors in Corinth, MS. They already have an MT09 naked on their sales floor. I was going to stop by and see it but it's supposed to rain Sat and Lake Hill is closed Sunday. 

On 4/5/2021 at 10:26 AM, 2and3cylinders said:

#1 I'd be concerned about the 21 frame AND "spin forged" wheels due to how thin the wall thicknesses are.  They may be lighter and stronger (frankly how light and strong does a relatively inexpensive sub 900 sport touring bike need to be, is it THAT much better for + $5k?) but real world durability, impact resistance, especially the wheels, IMO is a result compromised.  I paid $8,200 for my 15 in 16, and with the flash, suspension and brake mods spent another $1,300 plus a Sargent.

#2 I like the somewhat snappy, relatively fast spin up of my FJ, it sort of reminds me of my two smokes.  Nothing like a ring ding tuned on the edge of seize-up to teach you very fine throttle and clutch technique.  A heavier flywheel on a CP3 IMO is smoke and mirrors, unnecessary except to cure the edginess brought on my the leaness and snatchiness caused by the Euro 5 compliant tuning and cats.  I've actually had a lighter flywheel waiting patiently to go in my VTR 996 V-Twin since before I bought my FJ.

Yes the 21s may be attractive but there's something to be said for the elemental, simplistic 1st gen FJ.  Less is more and to fail, and anything more than a mouthful is a waste.  How many can truthfully claim they push their steeds close to hard enough that the machines limitations often rear their head??  If it was not for the increase in used prices due to Covid, one could have picked up an already nicely farkled FJ and smoothed out any residual rough edges for the preverbial song compared to 21s MSRP+.

Maybe I'm too old to need the latest and greatest anymore, as my first several bikes were kick start only, had capacitor points ignition, magnetos plus a generator, carburetor(s) you tickled and choked, manual ignition retard, compression releases, single leading shoe drum brakes that faded when hot not that they were much more effective than dragging your feet in the first place, could quickly and thoroughly mix a can of paint strapped to the pillion, blackened spark plugs and fractured light bulb filiments with frustrating regularity, and managed on tires harder than hockey pucks.

And we still loved them, we just couldn't go as fast or far as desired, and always carried clean rags and Goop with our extensive onboard tool kit.

I’m not concerned about the wheels. If the strength is there than wall thicknesses are a moot concern. Forging has always been the superior way of creating a wheel when strength and lightness are considerations and price isn’t an option. My 18” cast wheels on my GTI are heavier and have more tire wall protecting them than my 19” flow formed wheels. Guess which wheels I’ve had to have reshaped cuz they got bent on pot holes? 

On 4/4/2021 at 7:57 PM, Wintersdark said:

Story time!

I had a old Mazda B2200 pickup, with mediocre all seasons.  I lived in Vancouver, British Columbia, where it almost never snows and if it does, it doesn't stick, so it'd never really been a problem - in fact, I never saw a point in winter tires until I moved to this frigid wasteland.

I'd gone to a motorcycle show in Abbotsford with my wife, and it was held at an airport.  This airport was at the end of a very long, moderately steep hill.  While we were at the show, it started snowing, heavily.  We got to the hill, and it was immediately apparent that the truck was simply not going to make it up the hill.  No weight on the light truck's rear end, kind of crappy tires, icy snowy slope.  

My wife wasn't experienced at all in driving in the snow and didn't want to do it for fear or crashing, so I had to ask her to get into the bed of the truck, over the axle, because I needed weight in the back.

There is no way to have that conversation where you come out looking good. 

And no way you were going to miss the motorcycle show! Lol

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, Greasyjonny said:

I’m not concerned about the wheels. If the strength is there than wall thicknesses are a moot concern. Forging has always been the superior way of creating a wheel when strength and lightness are considerations and price isn’t an option. My 18” cast wheels on my GTI are heavier and have more tire wall protecting them than my 19” flow formed wheels. Guess which wheels I’ve had to have reshaped cuz they got bent on pot holes? 

I've never heard of the term "Spin Forged" before, could they in fact actually be cast and Yamaha is using marketing rather than true engineering terminology?  Being they are significantly lighter, that means they have less gyroscopic effect and permit lighter turn in, and make the suspension more responsive due to the lighter damping permitted. All valuable features.  A better frame likewise has its benefits along with all the other new features.  However, as Wintersdark said, lower dollars per pound is what made the original FJ so attractive.  All in all, I'll stick with what I have until my 15 is no longer cost effective to maintain.

I wish everyone who obtains a new 21 the best of luck and I am sure they'll enjoy it

3 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

I've never heard of the term "Spin Forged" before, could they in fact actually be cast and Yamaha is using marketing rather than true engineering terminology?  Being they are significantly lighter, that means they have less gyroscopic effect and permit lighter turn in, and make the suspension more responsive due to the lighter damping permitted. All valuable features.  A better frame likewise has its benefits along with all the other new features.  However, as Wintersdark said, lower dollars per pound is what made the original FJ so attractive.  All in all, I'll stick with what I have until my 15 is no longer cost effective to maintain.

I wish everyone who obtains a new 21 the best of luck and I am sure they'll enjoy it

Spin forging is also known as rotary forging, or even more commonly as flow forming. It’s definitely not a cast wheel. Here’s a link that goes over it abit (scroll down slightly to see the explanation on flow forming 

• Thumbsup 1

On 4/6/2021 at 5:31 PM, betoney said:

Well, things aren’t necessarily looking good for 2021 Tracer availability. My buddy has had a deposit down on a Tracer 9GT since the beginning of the year and the dealer just called him and said they don’t know when or even IF they will get one this year, and told him they were refunding his deposit.  He tried another dealer and they said the same, IF they get one, it might be July but they weren’t feeling too positive about it.

Has anyone heard anything similar from the local dealers?

The dealer where I got my 2020 will have one coming in and I don't think its sold yet. If he wants to come to Coeur D Alene he high be able to score it. Specialty Sports is the dealer.

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, craz1 said:

The dealer where I got my 2020 will have one coming in and I don't think its sold yet.

Did they say that just recently or at the beginning of the year when every one else thought they were getting some? 

I was just reading the same thing on the FZ/MT09 forum, buyers putting deposits down on the new model and being told availability will be in March and then May and then July and then maybe or maybe not? 🤷‍♀️  I hope this shortage or shipping delay is only temporary.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, Greasyjonny said:

Spin forging is also known as rotary forging, or even more commonly as flow forming. It’s definitely not a cast wheel. Here’s a link that goes over it abit (scroll down slightly to see the explanation on flow forming 

Thanks