2021 GT Updates

Darold

4 minutes ago, h1seoul said:

ran into the same when purchasing the Tenere 700.  it could be Yamaha NA as you have stated.  

Yeah - considering that we are purchasing relatively expensive machinery, you think you could get better treatment.

I can buy a $5 light bulb from Amazon and know it's whereabouts every step of the way until it lands on my door...

• Thumbsup 2

On 4/21/2021 at 10:21 AM, rlambke19 said:

Thanks for posting that. By far the best look I've gotten of the new bike. I like the looks better than I thought I would. Also picked up on some details I hadn't seen before. Looking forward to seeing one in person some day.

The guys doing the unboxing made me nervous too. 😅

Edited by jetpilot5
  • Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
46 minutes ago, texscottyd said:

And here's the walk-around of the dealer-prepped bike.   There's a lot to take in here...   I'm impressed with the packaging and the details.

Agreed.  The level of refinement has come a long way since 2015.  A lot of small changes add up to a very nice overall package.  I still don't think the gauges fit though, with the curves and rounded angles of the rest of the bike, not sure why the gauges have such sharp corners.

• Thumbsup 3

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

7 hours ago, rlambke19 said:

Yeah - considering that we are purchasing relatively expensive machinery, you think you could get better treatment.

I can buy a $5 light bulb from Amazon and know it's whereabouts every step of the way until it lands on my door...

I often wonder this when looking at buying big ticket items.  Every time I'm dealing with a car or bike dealership, they seem to kind of ... be assholes?  I dunno.  I mean, when spending 10k+ on something, I kind of expect them to be better than Amazon.  

When I bought my MT07, I was waiting on delivery in much the same way, and the dealership was two blocks from my work, so I'd swing by after work once a week or so looking for updates and they'd get pissy with me about it.  I mean, really?  I like to think spending that much entitles you to at least the same level of service freaking ebay manages.

• Thumbsup 1

41 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

I often wonder this when looking at buying big ticket items.  Every time I'm dealing with a car or bike dealership, they seem to kind of ... be assholes?  I dunno.  I mean, when spending 10k+ on something, I kind of expect them to be better than Amazon.  

When I bought my MT07, I was waiting on delivery in much the same way, and the dealership was two blocks from my work, so I'd swing by after work once a week or so looking for updates and they'd get pissy with me about it.  I mean, really?  I like to think spending that much entitles you to at least the same level of service freaking ebay manages.

I've noticed there is definitely a difference in car vs bike sales. Car sales seems to be much more pressing in terms of getting you to buy something knowing that most people in the lot probably have more needs than wants compared to a bike dealership. The last two bike processes have been easier overall with me knowing what I want and going for it. I imagine sales staff at dealerships get a lot of window lookers naturally, so they tend not to press as much. I am not sure what sales figures either are trying to hit in comparison either. 

I will agree though with bike sales, their excitement doesn't match the buyers in the slightest, for better or worse. We want the luxury rec item, by yesterday preferably. Again as has been mentioned in this thread the availability of information on menial purchases such as socks from amazon has spoiled us a bit for sure. 

• Thumbsup 1

I worked in motorcycle sales briefly for a buddy who owned a Yamaha dealership when I was between IT gigs.

Since it is my passion, I thought it would be something worth trying out. Umm...no.

The majority of folks that came through the door seemed to know very little about bikes in general or what they wanted. Which I get is part of the job - helping them understand things and guide them in the right direction. Turns out I didn't have the patience for that - BUT I treated everyone with courtesy and tried to help them as best I could. The 600+ lb couple looking at the little 250cc cruiser and asking if that would be a good bike for them was a hi-light of my experience. 😉

I guess that's why when I walk into a dealership having done my research and knowing pretty much exactly what I want and then am willing to drop $$$ on a bike, I expect to at least not be treated as a nuisance. The dealership that I bought my 2019 GT from and my 2021 Tracer 9 GT from are great to deal with. They only sell Yamaha's and have a string relationship (as far as I can tell) with Yamaha Canada. But some of the larger, multi-line dealerships that are actually closer to where I live are so awful to deal with that I will make the trip to a dealership that appreciates my business.

From my vantage point, it's Yamaha itself that is the source of lack of communication to the dealerships. Heck, we knew as much about the new T9 launch as my salesman did.

Anyways...sorry for the off-topic spiel...

Rob 

• Thumbsup 2

The dealer that I ordered the Tracer 9 GT from was very helpful and searched the internet for part I want to add.  It was a pleasure to work with them, too bad they are like 30+ miles from home and don't have pick up and delivery (Grrr).  They called me and said that the bike should arrive in May rather than July.  Yay!!!

Regardless I have an excellent mechanic only 5 miles away and accessible by public transportation.

Edited by OldBikers
  • Thumbsup 1

21 minutes ago, nick@forceberg.net said:

New REAL review! Also in that new camo color. Looks great!

Interesting - his comments about the throttle response - sounds familiar. Looks like ECU re-mapping may be a thing for the new bikes too. Not really a surprise though.

I do wonder about the cornering lights. It doesn't seem to take much of a lean to make them come on - so lets' hope that isn't confusing to oncoming vehicles who think you are either flashing your headlights or such to them.

Thanks for posting - that triple sounds awesome!

2 hours ago, rlambke19 said:

Interesting - his comments about the throttle response - sounds familiar. Looks like ECU re-mapping may be a thing for the new bikes too. Not really a surprise though.   

That's the reason I don't own the FJ-09.  I felt like the throttle response was snatchy.  So much so, I could see how hard it would be in stop-n-go rush hour traffic.  

Can this be fixed with a ECU re-map?

Chris

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, daboo said:

That's the reason I don't own the FJ-09.  I felt like the throttle response was snatchy.  So much so, I could see how hard it would be in stop-n-go rush hour traffic.  

Can this be fixed with a ECU re-map?

Chris

If you don't mind switching to B-mode, the fueling on that map is absolutely flawless.  I have used B-mode on several occasions when I got stuck in heavy traffic or long stretches of stoplight-to stoplight.  Once the pace picks back up to normal, its back to A-mode.

• Thumbsup 3

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

19 hours ago, betoney said:

If you don't mind switching to B-mode, the fueling on that map is absolutely flawless.  I have used B-mode on several occasions when I got stuck in heavy traffic or long stretches of stoplight-to stoplight.  Once the pace picks back up to normal, its back to A-mode.

Yep.  B mode exists entirely for heavy traffic circumstances for me.  

• Thumbsup 1