2021 GT Updates

Darold

Welp apparently the tracer has landed in Rhode Island. I put myself on a couple of wait lists and when I called one today about test riding one of their used bikes I inquired if there was any updates on deliveries for the tracer 9, and was told there’s a redline on their floor now and another coming in 3 weeks. Going down first thing to check it out and hopefully fall in love with it and bring it home. 

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The shop changing my tires has two of these in stock, one a demo, and I'm going to take it out for a burn tomorrow. Had a sit though, and some in-person observations.

* FINALLY the ignition switch is on the rider side of the bars.  Finally!

* The inside of the front cowling is way cleaner looking.  Still not sold on the dash,but it's not bad looking.

* I really like how it looks in person.  So ething about how the "scoops" are set up makes them look way more pronounced in photos/video, but in person they don't stand out nearly as much.  

* The frame and subframe are wholly new and different

* The engine looks very much different as well.  I'd assumed it would be very similar, but not so much.

Sitting on it:

* The windshield and handguards are both obviously improved.  They're both larger and shaped differently.  Obviously I haven't experienced either in use yet, but just looking at them (particularly immediately beside a 2020) it's very apparent.

* The tank are between the rider and the bars looks much larger.  I'm not sure if this is because it's a single continuous piece instead of the tank then front cover design of the 2019-2020 version, but it looks *huge* in comparison.

* The seat lacks the forward slope entirely and is noticeably wider and more comfortable.

All in all, it's not like the FJ -> Tracer change; it's very much a new bike end to end.  Everything is new.  Similar, but not the same at all.

20210503_174106_resize_60.jpg

20210503_174323_resize_13.jpg

20210503_174310_resize_66.jpg

20210503_174315_resize_58.jpg

• Thumbsup 5
  • Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, kilo3 said:

It still looks too round and squishy like a busa.

Yes, it does.  It looks a LOT rounder particularly when you're sitting on it too, a whole lot rounder.

I do prefer the angles of the 900.

My GT was suppose to come in march but delayed twice, new time is 25th May. But my dealer promise me to loan a bike from them for free until mine arrives.
I'm having the new Tracer9 (non GT version). Getting the bike next week.

Edited by Zafiro
  • Thumbsup 1

Nice a big thanks for the writeup.  I'm still keeping my 2020 GT ...... well ...... maybe ....... hummmm.  NO I'd have to explain to Mrs. so will keep 2020 GT!   

Thanks for the side by side photos, really helps see the differences.

I'm not a super fan of rounded but the bike looks good next to the 2020 GT.  It looks lower than the 2020 but actually can see more of the forks - it's the lights on the 2020 that are higher and wider at that point.  The visual mass has been cleaned up and dropped lower.  Like the 2020 is wider up at it's lights while the 2021 is wider at it's lights which are lower.   I'm a little tired of the insectoid look with all the angles so this is refreshing.  However when I was picking up some BBQ Sunday the fella at the resturant said "that's a bada$$ bike" about my 2020 GT. For someone way into their 60's nice to hear.  🙂

• Thumbsup 1

1 hour ago, PhotoAl said:

Nice a big thanks for the writeup.  I'm still keeping my 2020 GT ...... well ...... maybe ....... hummmm.  NO I'd have to explain to Mrs. so will keep 2020 GT!   

Thanks for the side by side photos, really helps see the differences.

I'm not a super fan of rounded but the bike looks good next to the 2020 GT.  It looks lower than the 2020 but actually can see more of the forks - it's the lights on the 2020 that are higher and wider at that point.  The visual mass has been cleaned up and dropped lower.  Like the 2020 is wider up at it's lights while the 2021 is wider at it's lights which are lower.   I'm a little tired of the insectoid look with all the angles so this is refreshing.  However when I was picking up some BBQ Sunday the fella at the resturant said "that's a bada$$ bike" about my 2020 GT. For someone way into their 60's nice to hear.  🙂

I'm not sure if the seat height is actually lower, but it does feel lower when you sit on it.  That could be just because of the angles of the seat vs. my thighs, though, but it was a thing I noted when I sat on it.  That, and that the seat is markedly more comfortable. 

That's really the big takeaway I had from the sitting, anyways: A lot of the ergonomic and comfort issues have been substantially refined in the 2021.  More comfortable seat, better windscreen and handguards, lower engine area interferes less with your legs when flatfooting the bike - not an issue for a tall guy like me, but for shorter people who have to have their feet closer in.  Basically, it seems to me that Yamaha actually took Tracer feedback about the shortcomings of the bike and focused on fixing those issues.  Purportedly more grunt around 4k rpm, too, where the Classic CP3 has somewhat of a flat spot. 

Really looking forward to a demo ride. 

• Thumbsup 6

My own GT been delayed 3 times so my dealer have given this Tracer 9 until my own arrives.
Zero miles on the speedo. Only driven it for an hour so far but it's a nice bike. Easy to drive and comfortable. I didn't feel the throttle to be twitchy. So I don't know what the fuss is about. The display I think I need to read the manual before I change any settings :)

The new Tracer9 looks very good and I prefer it to the old one. I thought this matte military green would be awful but I liked it. So did my neighbours. I ordered the red color for my own, hopefully it arrives 25th may.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Edited by Zafiro
  • Thumbsup 4

1 hour ago, nick@forceberg.net said:

Svensk? Var i Sverige och vilken dealer? Väntar på min icon performance via Carlbarks i Kumla. Lev 7 juni sägs det.

Sorry for Swedish 😇

Skåne, Yamaha Helsingborg.

Skåne is in southern sweden if anyone cares :)

• Thumbsup 1