2021 GT Updates

Darold

• Supporting Member
31 minutes ago, Ride365 said:

Why do we assume the air intakes are fake?

The R1 might have forced air intake but most Yamaha's 'air intakes' are fake coverings to hide electronics.  The air screens on the FJ/Tracer/GT are fake, the FZ/MT10 are fake, the FZ/MT09 are fake, the MT07 are fake, the MT03 are fake, the V-Max are fake...

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
56 minutes ago, Clegg78 said:

I am guessing the intakes are real, given the new induction system on the new CP3 engine. 

From the new MT09 product description:

"New Intake System
The new intake system has been designed to suit the new engine and provides linear response when the rider opens and closes the throttle. The three intake ducts also contribute to the excellent engine sound at midrange and high rpm. These ducts are designed with different cross sections and lengths so that the intake sounds they produce individually resonate harmoniously at varying wavelength ranges. At the same time, the sound pressure has also been tuned to create a pleasing sound in the mid- and high-rpm range. The result is an air cleaner box that achieves both good intake efficiency and a pleasing sound that enhances the feeling of acceleration."

Could this be a revised air intake system or modified internal air box velocity stack lengths?

• Thumbsup 3

To me it looks like something from a bad sci-fi movie from the eighties. I really love the looks of the current Tracer model, the new one (presuming it is real) is a major step backwards.

But that's just my opinion.

Edited by Michiel900GT
  • Thumbsup 1

10 hours ago, PhotoAl said:

When the top speed is limited to 114MPH then don't need ram air intakes 🙂

The GT is limited, I didn't know that? I've been 110 and it got there quickly, didn't appear like it was about to be limited.

My 2019 Tracer is definitely not limited to 114mph. Tested on a closed course, of course ... 😇

I hope that the spy shots are of a (very) rough draft. It looks unfinished to me. I would also be very surprised if they created all new saddlebags for it. Although with the last "special edition" FJR, it seemed like they were killing it off, so maybe they did come up with new luggage for the Tracer. 

23 hours ago, PhotoAl said:

When the top speed is limited to 114MPH then don't need ram air intakes 🙂

Who's Tracer is limited to 114mph?  Hell, I've had mine to 136mph, since adding a couple teeth on the rear (theoretically lowering the top speed) and I'm a big, heavy dude. 

• Supporting Member
16 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

Who's Tracer is limited to 114mph?  Hell, I've had mine to 136mph, since adding a couple teeth on the rear (theoretically lowering the top speed) and I'm a big, heavy dude. 

I'm not sure about the Tracer but the original FJ had to be "unrestricted" through an ECU flash to get over 115mph.

50 minutes ago, betoney said:

I'm not sure about the Tracer but the original FJ had to be "unrestricted" through an ECU flash to get over 115mph.

Mne isn't flashed, and it hits the rev limiter at 113/114 in 3rd, haven't hit it yet in 4th, I had to change my underwear. But I have seen 'significantly' higher.

(And obviously I am exaggerating, talking about kph not mph, and it was done on a private island or a closed airport runway or something like that)

• Haha 1

On 11/5/2020 at 4:17 PM, betoney said:

From the new MT09 product description:

"New Intake System
The new intake system has been designed to suit the new engine and provides linear response when the rider opens and closes the throttle. The three intake ducts also contribute to the excellent engine sound at midrange and high rpm. These ducts are designed with different cross sections and lengths so that the intake sounds they produce individually resonate harmoniously at varying wavelength ranges. At the same time, the sound pressure has also been tuned to create a pleasing sound in the mid- and high-rpm range. The result is an air cleaner box that achieves both good intake efficiency and a pleasing sound that enhances the feeling of acceleration."

Could this be a revised air intake system or modified internal air box velocity stack lengths?

It reads very much like the latter @betoney. That design can then be translated to other models as it’s not dependent on bodywork changes. 

• Thumbsup 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)