Lava Run - August 2020

daboo

I went to Sisters, OR last weekend for the "Lava Run", an event held by the Concours Owners Group (COG) each year.
I looked at the temperatures and decided to do the "return" leg of the trip on Friday, instead of Sunday.  Even at that, on the way home, it was over 100F on the west (cooler) side of the mountains.  
So my route took me across I-90, then down through the Yakima River Canyon on the east side of the Cascades.  I really enjoy this short stretch of highway that is bypassed by the interstate to the east.  Twisty curves that beg to be ridden about 20 mph faster than the speed limit...and is often set up with multiple speed traps because of it.  :D
This was my lunch break location.
ACtC-3fXPPreB96FxmGtvjVbe8EEIAT3kpNmpTv3
ACtC-3dCQAsTK3-x8K2TN7n6ZmYkAx_VvfuieA2b

ACtC-3f7T-z1mnbtCQWwjq-bGixEuOUyDwY2FBgB

ACtC-3fKj4Otxjab-xwIkGiyQRZW3nGX45MCwkNC
ACtC-3clzuMS5KYOLwIRLMvMM5cTZ_teDZyRglnR
ACtC-3c3vHe7oN4VfA53JFKTS1KwZy01kuFAvLLv

A break along the way.  The park was open, but the restrooms were closed. 
ACtC-3cRUzPhjPttUJx4ClewW2CcIVt4rtQ-xCmB
Mt. Hood at the White River.
ACtC-3cpeU8t2ACZcmNwRO9ekj8dEbfBnjaygCoN
On Saturday, the group took off on the actual "Lava Run" ride.  Here we are at the first break.
ACtC-3cmcpteQq9vSLXlBGRR7Mq77uYG2n1-bijw

Another rest stop at the Green Peter Lake.
ACtC-3ea3BL_PWtd_zNlulki4ii7H1aAxZF9k5Gd
ACtC-3fG7qnCCs55Z7SInvhGXYlW21NNJ69CV42a
We saw thousands of these on the ride.  They are the California Tortiseshell Butterfly.
ACtC-3f65iW2h1243GDOy8BTYjjpqFPp7s8gLR3X
It amazes me that plants can find a way to live out in these lava fields.
ACtC-3e-lR34zVnQ0QhcjT05A7tCqpIoLeQWz_Zw
ACtC-3d2lfVKm27hoIX1iOERajQBAm1M9IvtrSMM
Obligatory motorcycle pic.  :)
ACtC-3fqG_-SZp4huWT2-HKGtuaOmZdRP0Yx-B_j
Had a great time.  This group has some riders who think nothing of crossing a couple states to attend one of these rallies.  And in the evening when the riding is done, they like to have a good time swapping stories of what they have done...or would like you to believe they have done.  :D
Chris

• Thumbsup 4
  • Like 4

Those first couple of photos looked really refreshing, with the cool of the water against the heat of the day.
That is some amazing scenery you rode through there.

3 hours ago, texscottyd said:

You really do need to put your FJ on a diet, however...  :) 

😏 Yeah, I understand.  It fits me though.  The Tracer GT is on my short list, should I need to replace this bike.  But it is likely that this will be my last bike.  I'm good with that.  The F800GT is lower to the ground and fits my short inseam body like a glove.  Like the Tracer GT, it is light at 470 lbs wet.  And it goes fast enough to get me up to killing speed just fine.  :)

Chris

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1