Hard Saddlebag video review and demo

I found the FJR bags, unpainted as seen in another thread for about $305 each plus shipping at yocracing.com  The links are below.  I like the look of the unpainted FJR bags better than the bags marketed towards the FJ-09 plus they are bigger.  I have not purchased anything from there so I don't know if it is a reputable place.  Just looks like a site for a dealer in California.  That was just the result of a quick google search as I have decided these are the bags I want.  The other mounting hardware is on that site too, but I'll leave that for you to find if you really want to find them.  For all hardware, including the mount and lock set, the subtotal was $752.18 and they quoted $88.18 for shipping to me.  Would be $840.36 to get the bigger FJR bags, brand new on the bike.  I'm not quite ready to pull the trigger yet, but it is only a matter of time.  I may go to a local place to see if they can price match this when the time comes.

Left

Right

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
.... I have not purchased anything from there so I don't know if it is a reputable place.....
They've shipped the side case brackets for me to The Netherlands which arrived within 10 working days....no issues whatsoever...

That's him! Vespadaddy did this! I knew he wouldn't be far from here!
Good work daddy! Clever, smooth.
I recall you said the tumblers themselves are soft enough to file down? Is this correct? As long as you don't lose the springs?
Could you please describe how to remove the locks within the cases. You may have already done this.
Cheers,
Steve
I may be off on my lock parts terminology.  I call the parts I file 'pins', they are the part that the tiny springs act upon, and the key fits through a rectangular slot in these pins.  The pins are what you file, so that they sit flush with the top of the lock cylinder, when the ignition key has been fully inserted.  And remember, you should be able to switch your pins around, and not have to file many pins.  I had to file 1. 
To get the cylinder out of the bags, if installed, you'll need the special security torx head bit.  I can't recall the size.  #10, maybe?  Anyway, you'll need this special bit.  Then it is easy to remove the screws and take out the lock tumblers and levers.  Remember also, when you start taking cylinders aparrt that the springs are very, very small, and easy to lose.  I worked on a tray, with a lip to contain parts.

Yes , sad yamaha can't have matching key locks for these bags   ,but if you guys can re do the tumblers, more power to you, I will just carry two keys. Yes , you will need some loctite Blue 242 ( Lowes about $6) and a tamper proof driver socket for the latch screws on the key lock,,, also I got at my local Lowes part # 0338189 by Kobalt size TT10 , under $3. Again, for the price of these bags you'd think Yammy would include these not so common bits. So , I installed the brackets yesterday , less then an hour, and when I figured I had to make a Lowes run for this TT10 , to put on the 2 locks,,, 10-15 minutes. All looks good , fit snug, lock well, and ready to ride. Pushing 1000 miles on this bike already  and it has been my go to bike for daily commutes. Had dealer install heated grips last week and with 3 heat settings on them , the hands feel good on cool mornings . All in all, giving this bike a "10 " so far . Next , to get rid of that band-aid of a windshield and order another . I did order that lower seat to try and outfit the wife when see rides it but it was still too high . Asked my dealer if they'd take it back and give me my $$ back but they said …sorry,,, special order , no go…. Jerks,,,, ha,, so I will put it up for sale for $275 incl shipping anywhere in continental USA.. safe riding all!!

I thought I recalled that when you ordered the sidebags, you also order and three lock set so if you get the top box all would match. Did I misremember?

I just checked, and you do get three locks for the set for FJ09 luggage

https://www.yamahapartsandaccessories.com/product/details/side-case-and-trunk-lock-set

Yes , sad yamaha can't have matching key locks for these bags   ,but if you guys can re do the tumblers, more power to you, I will just carry two keys. Yes , you will need some loctite Blue 242 ( Lowes about $6) and a tamper proof driver socket for the latch screws on the key lock,,, also I got at my local Lowes part # 0338189 by Kobalt size TT10 , under $3. Again, for the price of these bags you'd think Yammy would include these not so common bits. So , I installed the brackets yesterday , less then an hour, and when I figured I had to make a Lowes run for this TT10 , to put on the 2 locks,,, 10-15 minutes. All looks good , fit snug, lock well, and ready to ride. Pushing 1000 miles on this bike already  and it has been my go to bike for daily commutes. Had dealer install heated grips last week and with 3 heat settings on them , the hands feel good on cool mornings . All in all, giving this bike a "10 " so far . Next , to get rid of that band-aid of a windshield and order another . I did order that lower seat to try and outfit the wife when see rides it but it was still too high . Asked my dealer if they'd take it back and give me my $$ back but they said …sorry,,, special order , no go…. Jerks,,,, ha,, so I will put it up for sale for $275 incl shipping anywhere in continental USA.. safe riding all!!

Rubber tip question...

The rubber tips that go on the ends of the support brackets came with instructions for the FJR. Now I know from reading on this forum the FJ09 and FJR bags are very similar and could be used on either bike. Great option if looking for more capacity. Now, in the instruction sheet that was packaged with the rubber tips it shows there is a taper to these rubber tips. 21mm on one end and 19 mm on the other. The instructions say to face the 21mm side towards the front of the bike. But this does not match the taper of the molded tabs on the hard case. If you match the taper on the luggage with the taper on the rubber the rubber should face with the 19mm side towards the front of the bike.

I guess I was curious how those who have these bags oriented this rubber piece. This also begs the question are the FJR bag molded tabs different or are the instructions wrong or am I just retarded? Now i can see either way working in the end but curiosity, what can I say.

So what says you?

• Premium Member
Rubber tip question... 
The rubber tips that go on the ends of the support brackets came with instructions for the FJR. Now I know from reading on this forum the FJ09 and FJR bags are very similar and could be used on either bike. Great option if looking for more capacity. Now, in the instruction sheet that was packaged with the rubber tips it shows there is a taper to these rubber tips. 21mm on one end and 19 mm on the other. The instructions say to face the 21mm side towards the front of the bike. But this does not match the taper of the molded tabs on the hard case. If you match the taper on the luggage with the taper on the rubber the rubber should face with the 19mm side towards the front of the bike.

I guess I was curious how those who have these bags oriented this rubber piece. This also begs the question are the FJR bag molded tabs different or are the instructions wrong or am I just retarded? Now i can see either way working in the end but curiosity, what can I say.

So what says you?
Wow, they are tapered. 19mm should be at the top and 21mm at the bottom. The hard bag "tabs" taper wider towards the bottom. The instructions also say to use a cyanoacrylate glue, so I used some Loctite Super Glue Gel Control to remount them properly. I always thought the bags "stuck" a bit when unmounting. Thanks!
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

Yeah, I had installed them the other way and the bags were a PITA to pull on and off. Mo betta now. Glad this helped someone. Also appreciate the super glue recommendation. Used grip glue the first time but just redid them with super duper glue. Hope they hold.

Hey does anyone know where these clear stickers go that come with these bags? They look like clear stickers for scratch prevention. One long one and 2 small ones per bag.
I believe that the clear stickers are to protect the paintwork if the bags are fitted to the FJR1300. Not used on the plastic mounts on the FJ09/Tracer.

Archived