Which Tire Changer?

piotrek

• Supporting Member

I am investing in a tire changer and would be interested in community experience on which units work, which don't, and what to consider when buying and using one. I am looking for something relatively compact, and something I can easily take apart and store away until the next time. I noticed that most/all of these need to be anchored down to be effective, and I can find space to do that. The gadget would see a couple of tire set changes per season for myself, and an occasional tire change here and there for a fellow rider.

I have looked at No-Mar, Cycle Hill (made by No Mar) and a EvoX from max2h.com. There is Harborfreight and other knock-offs out there, that typically look similar and work on the same principle. I have my thoughts and opinions, but really interested in general experience out there.

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Premium Member

Look for a used NoMar, I bought mine new when they eliminated the silver & black hammered metal finish (with white, white, stupid)  but also with strengthened chassis bits. $550 WITH their excellent wheel balancer.  With my front & rear Pitt Bull stands, no having to drive the wheels and get lucky if they change the doughnuts while I wait, then drive home; they've already paid for themselves in 4 years...

• Thumbsup 1

Been thinking about getting a tire changer as well.  Tired of paying someone to scratch my rims.  I was at a track day and someone there had a NoMar changer with a trailer hitch adapter.  Changed his tires right off the back of his truck.  If you already have a vehicle with a hitch this would keep you from having to permanently mount the changer into the floor of your garage and you can store the changer when finished.    

Edited by johnmark101
  • Thumbsup 3

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

I tried the harbor freight + mojo lever setup. I was unable to get the tire off the wheel. I was missing a large pin to prevent the wheel from spinning in the clamps. I also broke the bolt holding the nylon end piece onto the mojo lever. I know other riders who have had great success with the setup though. So it was likely my technique holding me back. 

• Thumbsup 1

'15 FJ09

I'm going this weekend to use a friends o-Mar tire changer and balancer. He tells me it's all Technic not all muscle. He's had it for years and still has the original nylon tips.  If this works out I'm buying the No-Mar changer for myself. He says his is the mid priced setup from No-Mar. I'm hopefully because if I can do my own tire changes I'll switch back to sportbike tires for the extra confidence on the road. 

That's of course if he and I are still here in NW Louisiana and East Texas after Laura.......

Edited by tktplz
  • Thumbsup 1

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

• Premium Member

It's definitely technique and I think my Nomar Lube has gotten old but instead of a trailer hitch I drilled 4 holes and set drop-in anchors which expand and are internally threaded and can have the machine set up in the shop in 15 minutes breakdown is even less

Steve the owner of Nomar and his wife are good people they're out of St Louis and usually do all the u.s. motorcycle shows and you can sometimes get a good deal if the show if you negotiate a bit and carry it out from there without shipping though local tax must be applied but he'll give you a break on that in the price

His brother Craig nemesh started the superhawk for many years ago

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

I looked at some of the tire changers mentioned above and decided to try the Motion Pro BeadPro Forged Steel Tire Bead Breaker Levers ($50).  I figured that if I couldn't do it with those, then I'd spend the money to get the nicer equipment.

I haven't felt any need to get anything else other than a single long tire iron and a clamp to keep the bead from walking around the rim in the last portion of getting it over the rim.

The rest of the tire change equipment is a single 2x4 that I made into a rectangle to keep the front wheel disks off the ground.

For reference, I'm not big and strong.  I'm 5'6"...shorter than most of you, and just turned 68.  It's not about strength, but about technique.  The same technique you need to use an expensive tire machine.

And when you're all done...it takes up very little space.

I've changed four sets of tires this way in the last 18 months.

Chris

• Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 1

Knee pads.  Harbor Freight is your friend.  FWIW, I've had one knee replacement.  It isn't bothering either the bionic knee, or the OEM knee.

And my wheels look better with what I've done, than the marks left over by the dealership.

Chris

Edited by daboo
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 2

• Supporting Member
6 hours ago, daboo said:

I looked at some of the tire changers mentioned above and decided to try the Motion Pro BeadPro Forged Steel Tire Bead Breaker Levers ($50).  I figured that if I couldn't do it with those, then I'd spend the money to get the nicer equipment.

I haven't felt any need to get anything else other than a single long tire iron and a clamp to keep the bead from walking around the rim in the last portion of getting it over the rim.

...so you're the pesky voice of reason that's been chattering in my left ear all this time. There is this other voice... it sounds more fun. 😀

Edited by piotrek
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member
12 hours ago, johnmark101 said:

If you already have a vehicle with a hitch this would keep you from having to permanently mount the changer into the floor of your garage and you can store the changer when finished.

I saw that done with a Cycle Hill changer, which was a bit more compact than the No-Mar... but not by much. I do have a vehicle with a Class-2 receiver.

7 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

don't like bending over and being on my knees excetera

I feel ya there. I work on office equipment and sometimes I work off the floor, in my 60s now. I am very flexible tho, can sit cross legged, work on my knees, off my butt. I can tell that when I was younger I just grabbed whatever it was, lifted it and carried it. Those days are no more. Working on my feet at the machine I think will work better for me. We will see this weekend. I'll report back after my 1st experience with the machine. 

• Thumbsup 1

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!