Which Tire Changer?

piotrek

Sadly, "technique" is easy to type, but tough to learn.  Particularly when you're at risk of destroying brand new tires.  Ask me how I know :(

Now I've got two bikes, each that need at least two changes per year (winter/summer tires), I couldn't justify paying someone else to change mine anymore.  It's quite a bit more expensive here, with $50 per loose tire being an absolute floor, then adding some $20 of "shop supplies", taxes and such... $120 per bike, twice a year, is $480 of tire changing per year - again, as a minimum, assuming I'm only mounting new tires and get a full season out of each set.  

I was strongly considering a No-Mar changer, but I was looking at $800-$900cad shipped, which was pretty prohibitively expensive. 

So I grabbed a tire changer from http://olmaxmotors.pl

It was $400 Canadian, shipped.  Half the price, and quite a competent little machine.  I'm definitely happy.

In action: 

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

Sadly, "technique" is easy to type, but tough to learn.  Particularly when you're at risk of destroying brand new tires.  Ask me how I know :(

Now I've got two bikes, each that need at least two changes per year (winter/summer tires), I couldn't justify paying someone else to change mine anymore.  It's quite a bit more expensive here, with $50 per loose tire being an absolute floor, then adding some $20 of "shop supplies", taxes and such... $120 per bike, twice a year, is $480 of tire changing per year - again, as a minimum, assuming I'm only mounting new tires and get a full season out of each set.  

I was strongly considering a No-Mar changer, but I was looking at $800-$900cad shipped, which was pretty prohibitively expensive. 

It was $400 Canadian, shipped.  Half the price, and quite a competent little machine.  I'm definitely happy.

In action: 

That's a good looking machine. This has me contemplating if I should modify my Harbor Freight changer to be more like this, or just buy this and sell the HF... I just finished a welding class, so I'm leaning toward modifying just for the experience.

• Thumbsup 1

9 hours ago, ledruide said:

Wintersdark, Thanks for link, did you place the order directly from the company or via Ebay?  This tire changer seem to be well made.

Thanks 

I ordered directly from the creator.  His email address is there, and he'll communicate in english.  I just said up front that I wasn't sure of the google translate from his website, and asking him to send me a paypal invoice for the new version of the tire changer.  He responded promptly, shipped inside a day, and I got it about a week later - very well packaged, I'll add.  It's *extremely* solid and well put together, and while "Butler tire changer head" doesn't mean anything to me, it's WAY nicer to use than the NoMar tire change bar IMHO.  

Wintersdark

Thank you very much for the information, I have a NoMar tire change bar also, I'm happy that you can compare between the two tools and found easier the Bulter head, I'm seriously thinking about buying one !

Thanks. 

Edited by ledruide
correction

At a Falling Leaf BMW rally in Petosi. MO I bought tires for a good price. Installation was by No Mar. It took the rep 2+ hrs to figure out the machine setup. If the $p wasn't so cheap I would have ordered tires drop ship and mounted on my HF. Really surprised at the whole debacle.

• Supporting Member
19 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

Good call. Very similar to the unit I picked up last winter from Max2h. Fantastic device, and very compact. I anchor mine to the garage floor for the job, and have also rigged up a hitch mount option. My kit came with a 20mm shaft, and I then had to purchase a smaller diameter shaft for the front... but I am all setup now. Sounds like you will get all kinds of use out of this new toy.

EVOX in action starting at 0:35

• Thumbsup 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Supporting Member
On 11/4/2021 at 9:49 AM, jcarruth said:

My balancer is a Marc Parnes, excellent tool.

Agree... it is a very well made tool. No slop anywhere. I wish it came with a simple storage case, similar to a torque wrench case. Not a tool I would just chuck into my tool chest with the brutes.

On 11/5/2021 at 6:28 PM, piotrek said:

Agree... it is a very well made tool. No slop anywhere. I wish it came with a simple storage case, similar to a torque wrench case. Not a tool I would just chuck into my tool chest with the brutes.

I spray mine down with WD-40 after each use, wrap it in a shop towel, and store it in a cardboard box with bubble wrap.

• Thumbsup 1

• 1 month later...
  • Supporting Member

Put the machine to the test with a Dunlop Roadsmart 3. This time I won. 🏆

I forgot just how stiff that tire is compared to the Road 2... but I warmed it up, used lots of lube, and it went on smooth. Much joy followed.

20211219_161309.thumb.jpg.c49881f9557855071f9d8797bee8a762.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

• 4 months later...
  • Supporting Member

Garage sale find. Looks like all the parts are there. $200. Probably try and mount it to a board instead of drilling the floor. Or maybe I could attach it to the the hitch on my truck?

No Mar.jpg

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 2

On 11/6/2021 at 12:10 AM, piotrek said:

Good call. Very similar to the unit I picked up last winter from Max2h. Fantastic device, and very compact. I anchor mine to the garage floor for the job, and have also rigged up a hitch mount option. My kit came with a 20mm shaft, and I then had to purchase a smaller diameter shaft for the front... but I am all setup now. Sounds like you will get all kinds of use out of this new toy.

EVOX in action starting at 0:35

I was in the market to buy something to make breaking the bead easier but now I'm considering your solution. It's currently €196.00 instead of €245.00 * (20% off). Don't know if it was already hit with inflation.. May I ask what the price was in 2020?

Just wondering about the small diameter adapter for the front wheel. Did you get the 15mm? With the step cone?

image.thumb.png.267c39d3ab128c1d66e3d8907d7e1065.png

https://max2h.com/en/axle-adapter-15mm-for-tire-changer-evox?c=778

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, petshark said:

I was in the market to buy something to make breaking the bead easier but now I'm considering your solution. It's currently €196.00 instead of €245.00 * (20% off). Don't know if it was already hit with inflation.. May I ask what the price was in 2020?

Just wondering about the small diameter adapter for the front wheel. Did you get the 15mm? With the step cone?

The 15mm step cone was not available at the time. They told me to use the 15mm shaft for the front. I made up the ~2mm with a piece of copper pipe (split it length-wise and slipped it on). The fit is now perfect. I paid €169 (sale price, and no VAT)... plus 13% duty, so around €190 in total.

This is a great little tire changer, but there are lots of cheap bead breakers if that's all you're looking for.

Edited by piotrek
  • Thanks 1