DIY Lexan short sport windscreen...

Would someone who has made a shorty be willing to post specific dimensions? I'll be happy to greate a scale drawing template to make curtting and driling easier.
2015 FJ-09, 2016 1290 Super Duke, 2017 150 XC-W (primary ride), 2012 DR650

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here is how I have proceeded with mine.

Take a 11*17inch sheet of paper and put it on your stock screen.

Using your nails, emboss or mark the edges of the screen. Make sure that the paper does not move around. You end up with a wrinkled sheet of paper that has the same shape of the unbended stock screen.

Using a marker and a ruler, carefully trace the edges. Make sure it is perfectly symmetrical by folding it in 2 halves along the center.

Decide how high you want your screen and trace a horizontal line.

Put some lexan or acrylic on top of traced shape.
Trace and cutout lexan.

Dont drill holes right now, first shape it using a heatgun. Depending of the curve, holes may not be exactly where you planned.

Once that the curve is right, remove stock screen and place your shorty on the bike.

Once that your are sure that the screen is centered, Mark holes with a punch and drill them slowly one at a time.

Your are done!

Ill measure mine tonight...

Would someone who has made a shorty be willing to post specific dimensions? I'll be happy to greate a scale drawing template to make curtting and driling easier.
Here are the specific dimensions of the original model :) 
I also made a scale document that can be printed on 11x17 paper, I just dont know where to put it ! Imgur ?

huJB3q7h.jpg

You got the dimensions for the madmax screen? I'm diggin that look alot.

There you go, those are the dimensions for the MadMax screen :)

I don't have this screen anymore, maybe that Papihog could ship it to you :)
Or you could make one yourself for about 20$. :)

Enjoy !

VfYux9Mh.jpg

You got the dimensions for the madmax screen? I'm diggin that look alot.
There you go, those are the dimensions for the MadMax screen :)

I don't have this screen anymore, maybe that Papihog could ship it to you :)
Or you could make one yourself for about 20$. :)

Enjoy !

VfYux9Mh.jpg

.. here is my feedback on the MADMAX screen from Fred... looks great .. its way better than stock regarding noise issue but you will notice a lot more chest pressure at highway speeds vs stock but again .. less wind noise.. so i enjoy the MADMAX from Fred for city use and occasional highway but is there a PERFECT windshield out there yet ???... Ty very much Fred.. i tried the HOLY shield but prefer the MADMAX... it was a good experiment though. let me know if u want it back, we can meet. i would like to try to shorten the stock screen with a recurve on top and make it just a little wider but i don't want to spoil the stock shield just yet... have my HD to baby first... I plan to experiment late summer with a concept i have in my left lobe of brain... Ride safe.. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Is there a reason to not cut the stock screen down? With summer here I thought the narrow width would allow air to enter my jackets vertical vents.
I will need to do something. The roar on my test ride was awful.
Cheers
2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

I make it a habit of keeping all the original pieces in case I ever want to sell.
-it's much cheaper to hack up a $10 piece of acrylic vs the $200 stock screen!
-much easier to cut the stock screen, but not much room for error/ trial--error ;-)

Here's the screen that I built using Fred's info. I went through 3 or 4 shapes before finding this one perfect for hot summer riding. Since Fred's naming the screens, this one has to be called the FatBoy! Just tall enough to hide the instrument cluster and wide enough to block most of the wind hitting my core, but leaves my helmet in clean air...  FatBoy wind screen

I make it a habit of keeping all the original pieces in case I ever want to sell. -it's much cheaper to hack up a $10 piece of acrylic vs the $200 stock screen!
-much easier to cut the stock screen, but not much room for error/ trial--error ;-)

Here's the screen that I built using Fred's info. I went through 3 or 4 shapes before finding this one perfect for hot summer riding. Since Fred's naming the screens, this one has to be called the FatBoy! Just tall enough to hide the instrument cluster and wide enough to block most of the wind hitting my core, but leaves my helmet in clean air...  FatBoy wind screen

LOL FatBoy. 
Why not WideBoy ? It would be more politicaly correct. :)

I also chose NOT to cut the original, and do a new screen, rather than cutting the original screen...
Cutting the original might seem easy, but the finishing part will be tough to achieve with good results.
You will have to spend a significant amount of time to sand and polish or flame polish the cutted edge until you have exactly the same finish than the other edges. And once cut too low, its too late, you cannot undo...
Hard to do experiment !!!
I might be wrong but this alone discouraged me from cutting the original screen.
It was easier to make a new one, and I could try many shapes before settling for the short one :)

Fredo

• Premium Member
All very good points Fredogauvino and Beberle, but I don't own a heat gun and I'm not sure the ones at work (designed to shrink 'shrink tubing') are hot enough. Not going to rush anything. May just take it off for awhile. It is hot here at the moment.

I am going to try and increase the spacing and perhaps angle it back. Hopefully that will help.

Cheers
2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

Archived