DIY Lexan short sport windscreen...

If it can melt heat shrink, it should be able to do the job. If it has a 'high' setting, that's the setting you want. On 90deg days, it's better to me to run without a screen than the stock in the lowest position. 

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyone making any of these? I'd love to give it a go but don't have the time. Just looking for something to cover up the stock windshield supports. If they weren't there I'd probably not even put a screen back on.

Anyone making any of these? I'd love to give it a go but don't have the time. Just looking for something to cover up the stock windshield supports. If they weren't there I'd probably not even put a screen back on.

Ask papihog, to my knowledge he still have one prot that i gave him...

This is such a brilliant thread!!!

I have been trying to decide on what screen to get, Most of the tall screens I think are as ugly as hell.
It also doesn't help that I am changing my guards to Acerbis Dual Road which would give me the ability to have a much wider base I think.

To practise I think I will go for a Mk 2 acrylic . I have seen an ebay supply who sells this in dark red tint. I have emailed him with a picture of the bike to see how good a match it is. Hopefully if its a good match it should look really nice.

I'm going to tint my home made shorty screen black. It looks ok clear, but think a limo tint black would look really nice.

Even with just the shorty screen, running at 65-70mph is not a big deal. It provides just enough wind protection you don't feel like the wind is tying to rip you off the bike. Obviously at 80mph+, things change. For me around town and on the expressway locally, the short screen is it. For long trips, and when the weather is cool, then I'd put the CalSci medium back on.

Guys

Bit of a cross water difference but being both from the UK and 5ft 8 what I need is a nice sporty looking screen with protection (mainly noise) up to 100mph

my regular cruising speed ( I have my own private road to work) is about 90mph but sometimes when I am late or just spirited that can creep up. I am hoping that with the after market guards I can widen the base of the screen and start playing even more

• Premium Member
Guys 
Bit of a cross water difference but being both from the UK and 5ft 8 what I need is a nice sporty looking screen with protection (mainly noise) up to 100mph

my regular cruising speed ( I have my own private road to work) is about 90mph but sometimes when I am late or just spirited that can creep up. I am hoping that with the after market guards I can widen the base of the screen and start playing even more

ah, no wonder you get to have a chat with a police officer on the way home...
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

So with some time on my hand ( or rather my crap job and inability to sleep) I have discovered that I can buy acrylic sheet in clear in 4mm in more or less any size I want. But if I want to try and get dark red or smoked then I start to limit myself to 3mm or 5mm

Now bearing in mind that due to crap job/life etc etc I have had the bike 2 weeks and have driven 10miles, spent £300 on goodies and fitted None of said goodies you can kind of get the picture of my life style and this is with the work winding down! come September I hit the silly season!!!!

Anyway I am waffling.

I am hoping to fit the Acerbis dual road hand guardswhich should give some more width at the bottom of the screen to play with. so I was thinking of maybe fitting the guards, then putting bars on full lock. Then using that width as a "template" against freds screen I was thinking of "magnififying " it so the aspect is the same.
any thoughts on this??

• 9 months later...
Question about heating up and bending the lexan. I was going to use a garbage can as a mold to get a nice curve to it. Will pressing the hot lexan against the garbage can transfer the pattern that's on the garbage can to the lexan?

Or it just heating up and bending it by hand the best way to do it?

• Premium Member
I realize that this is a DIY thread. I had these guys make me a custom screen for my HD XR1200. They did it in 2 days while I was vacationing in St. Augustine. Really inexpensive.... Just a thought....

http://bikescreen.com/pages/contact-gustafsson-plastics

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Premium Member
When I had them do the work for me they were forced to use the attachment hardware from HD. So the basic shape, read curvature, was predetermined.

I was happy with the results....

Give them a call, see what they say....

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• 1 month later...

In desperation, I went instead to Home-Depot and bought a 11x17 sheet of LEXAN clear plastic. Then, just to make sure that I would not waste my 14$ investment, I first made a prototype from an old crazy carpet. It follows the lines of original screen, but obviously shorter.
Lexan plastic is shatterproof, but not scratch proof, So I now have to dodge every bug that try to suicide on me. The plastic is also thinner than the original screen, but since it's smaller, it should be OK. The curvature should also help rigidity.
So that was my 1st mod !
Tell me what you think.
Fred

Thanks Fred, I went to Home Depot and walked down their "motorcycle accessory" isle and got a sheet of 11x14in. Lexan, .093 in. thick. This is ridged enough for the purpose and thin enough to score with a utility knife on both sides for a clean snap break off with minor edge sanding/ filing afterwards. The heat gun to make the slight bow down the middle worked well. I went over the edges with a magic marker to blacken the edge. Looking more like a sport naked bike now which is fine with me!
IMG_2046_zpschlfiiq3.jpg
IMG_2049_zpsjsf9foud.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
You got the dimensions for the madmax screen? I'm diggin that look alot.
There you go, those are the dimensions for the MadMax screen :)

I don't have this screen anymore, maybe that Papihog could ship it to you :)
Or you could make one yourself for about 20$. :)

Enjoy !

VfYux9Mh.jpg

Super old, I know, but is this a scale diagram of printed on 11x17?

• 8 months later...

Archived