SW Motech Pro Engage tank bag (Tracer 900 GT)

Cornersruns

So after hours looking at tank bags I ordered an SW Motech Pro Engage,  ordered from UK SW Motech supplier £163.07 for bag and Tracer 900 GT tank ring. Delivered next day.  Also included, with the tank ring, are 2 x risers, to raise the height of the bag above the tank.  Included with the bag is a rain cover.

Installation was easy, there is a thin metal horseshoe which is screwed onto the tank ring, replacing 4 existing bolts with supplied replacements, thread locked,  (there are several bolts included of varying length you have to work out yourself which ones to use).

Then you screw the plastic ring onto the thin horseshoe with supplied nuts and hex key, again thread locked.

Unlike the EVO bags you don't need to drill the bag to mount the attaching hardware.  The mounting hardware slides on rails and is locked when you tighten the screws, so you can easily change how far forward/back the bag sits on the tank.  There is plenty of room on the Tracer 900 GT that the bag does not interfere with the bars or switches, or get in the way of my stomach 🙂

When empty the bag attaches, and aligns, easily to the tank ring, SW Motech claim the magnets allow easy mounting.  In reality once loaded the bag needs to be carefully aligned to attach, I don't think the magnets make any difference to a loaded bag.

Although you don't need to drill the bag for the mounting hardware you do need to drill if you want the internal security locking pin (not supplied).  If you reposition the bag another hole(s) will need to be drilled for the security pin.

Removal is the usual SW Motech design of a thin strap, that runs from the bag mount, outside the front of the bag through a flap to the inside of the bag.  A ,hefty, pull on the strap releases the mechanism.

I think the bag fits nicely with the Tracer.  Photos show the bag at full size, usual all round zipper to increase the size.  For me there is enough room for a days ride, expanded.  Spare gloves, 2 500ml bottles of drink, a sandwich, a disc lock, a lock for the zipper (not the SW Motech lock but a short cable lock designed for suitcases), visor cleaner and other small items.

There is a raised section in the middle bottom of the bag, where the mounting hardware is, leaving a depression around the outside of the base, like a moat.  3 elasticated straps on each side  of the interior of the bag.  In the lid is a zippered document wallet.  At the rear of the bag is a covered slot that would allow headphones / charging cable to enter the bag.  So no cutting the bag like the EVO range.  The cover over the slot is a close fit and extends well below the slot into the bag so it is relatively water resistant.

When empty the bag did not touch the tank at all, but loaded it sags down a bit touching the plastic at the rear of the tank so I think I will add the riser(s) to stop it rubbing on the tank.

In use the bag does not get in the way of riding and I hardly notice it is there.

Today I rode through fairly heavy rain for a couple of hours.  I did not put the rain cover on as I wanted to test how water resistant the bag is.  The inside of the bag got damp, not soaked but enough water entered to make everything inside damp.  I have an MRA vario touring screen so the area the bag sits in is fairly well protected from the rain.  The water appears to have entered through the material of the lid zip.  It doesn't really show well in the photo but there was a distinct damp patch coming down from the zip area.

Overall it's a good bag (for a comparatively huge price ( I would expect to see a Louis Vuiitton label on it at this price ) but it could be a fantastic bag with a few modifications:

Make the release mechanism internal, it wouldn't take much to route the strap so it is not accessible from the outside.  This would also remove the need to drill the case for the security pin (which is a pain anyway as it is at the bottom of the bag).  This bag is never going to be as secure as a topbox, as you can just cut the material, but mostly what I want is to deter to opportunist thief.  OK you need to know how the mechanism works but it's not a secret, and it is a bright red strap that almost screams pull me.

Put a water resistant zip on it, or a flap that covers the zip.  That will make the bag very water resistant.

A zipped pocket inside the bag, for coins or similar.

3 minor changes that shouldn't cost much to implement.

Pro Engage - Side.jpg

Pro Engage - Top.jpg

Pro Engage - Back.jpg

Pro Engage - Wet.jpg

• Thumbsup 4

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, kilo3 said:

We don't get the pro overseas but I do have the evo micro on my christmas wish list.

I had the micro... it is micro. It expands a bit in volume... but then you just have to dig deeper for stuff. You may find yourself wanting just a little more space.

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

1 minute ago, piotrek said:

I had the micro... it is micro. It expands a bit in volume... but then you just have to dig deeper for stuff. You may find yourself wanting just a little more space.

Can you fit a bottle of water in it?

I got the same bag, and love it. I do agree with the minor changes you suggest. 

I added one of the two risers it comes with, and it lifts the bag enough so it doesn't touch the plastic on the rear of the tank.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I'd like to get a tank bag with a lock-ring mount. I currently have a Wolfman strap-on bag. The quality of the bag is excellent, but the straps are a pain at fuel stops. 

I see SW-Motech has their US distributor in Portland now, just 70 miles away. Apparently they're having an open house RIGHT NOW as I type this; alas I have some ribs on the smoker so I can't pick up and go visit. Oh well, some other time.

On 8/27/2020 at 5:53 PM, kilo3 said:

perfect, between that, my wallet, and some visor wipes, im set.

Yeah. I belong to the camp that will fill a tank bag regardless of size, to the point of weighing my touring bike's tank bag at almost 40 lbs!  So now I get smaller ones for the things you just said. And a granola bar. 

• Thumbsup 2

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, maximo said:

Yeah. I belong to the camp that will fill a tank bag regardless of size, to the point of weighing my touring bike's tank bag at almost 40 lbs!  So now I get smaller ones for the things you just said. And a granola bar. 

40lbs... damn, yeah I have seen some tank bags that are HUGE, as big as some rear tail bags.  Some are expandable to 25l capacity, that's larger than the side hard bags... up on your tank. 😲

I'm with you on the small bag, cell phone, wallet, insurance/registration, digital air gauge and face shield cleaner and cloth.  I don't need to fit take-out dinner for 4 in my tank bag.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***