• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 43 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Engine Off ECU Controls Servo/Throttle after ECU Flash?

Recently had my 2016 left over Dealer Demo, completely stock, FJ-09 ECU flashed by 2WDW at 4,000 miles.  Highly recommended.  Bike started right up defaulting to A Mode and runs great!  Greatly smooths out roll on/roll off.  No more abrupt jerky surprises!.  

My question is:  Now after 2WDW flash, with ignition keyed on, BUT with engine not running, I can hear the wine of the Servo Motor circuit and when I twist the throttle, servo motor grinds & rotates the throttle pates. When I twist throttle you can hear the servo circuit wine change in pitch.  I have had air box off to check all electrical connections, etc.  I plugged in Flashed ECU and with ignition keyed on/engine off, I can stand there and twist throttle and hear and watch all three throttle plates rotate.  I have chatted with a couple forum members with 2WDW flash and they get no servo motor/throttle plate rotation with ignition on/engine off.  I talked with 2WDW and they tell me their FTECU software doesn't have any option to modify any throttle interlocks or any other parameter that controls throttle opening while the bike isn't running. They only have control over the fuel mapping per cylinder (by gear), ignition mapping per cylinder (by gear), throttle-by-wire mapping per rider mode (by gear), the diagnostic code manager, fan temperature control, and closed loop operation control.  Basically, their Flash of my ECU did not, could not change the ECU to servo motor interlock.

Can some other members both with Stock ECU and with a 2WDW ECU flash confirm if and when you get Servo Motor rotating throttle body plates? With engine running you will not be able to hear the servo motor rotating plates, but now, I certainly can with engine ignition on/engine off.  Thanks.       

Please, can some one with a stock/non-flashed OEM Yamaha ECU, let me know if with your ignition keyed on and with engine not running, with a twist of the wrist, when tuning your the throttle, do you here the servo motor running and rotating your throttle body plates?  I do not remember hearing this before, but now after my 2WDW flash I can definitely hear and have seen the APS, ECU, TPS working to rotate the throttle plates with the engine not running.  Thanks.    

2020 tracer here. servo motor does indeed change pitch, I can only assume the throttle plates are moving but I'm not sure what they sound like vs whatever electromechanical contraption the cables are attached to.

Just gonna interject here:  This way lies madness.

The Tracer makes a lot of wierd noises.  A lot.  I didn't really notice many initially because I was too busy listening to the exhaust, and I've got a very noisy helmet, and I tend to listen to music.  After some time with it though, doing maintenance, or just monkeying around... You start hearing all the noises.

And there's so many noises.   The noise the bike makes when in gear but with the clutch disengaged, then how that noise is so very different when it's in neutral but the clutch is engaged.  The whirr of the throttle servos, the whine of the intake, the clunkiness of the front end when going over rough terrain (the whole cluster/windshield assembly on mine is surprisingly loud in such cases, there's a fair bit of flex and play in the rubber mounts and windshield adjuster), the hardcases with their free play when the rear is bounced, the sound the slipper clutch makes when it's allowing the engine to spin rather than chirping the rear under downshifting, then the sound it makes when you first get back on the throttle.  And so many more.  It's a noisy bike :)

If you start fretting about them, it'll make you crazy. 

• Thumbsup 1

I have a flashed ECU (Ivan's Performance)) and when the key is on/engine off I can hear the servo whine.  When I turn the throttle it stops.  

I think the whine is normal with stock or flashed ECU as the servo is waiting for a signal from the TPS.  I hear no grinding noise or any sort of mechanical movement however.

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

Thanks,  johnmark101.  I agree the whine from the servo is normal.  My  concern is the fact that now after my 2WDW flash with ignition on/engine off when I twist throttle,  the servo motor runs, rotating the throttle body plates.  I do not remember this happening pre-flash.  The mechanical "grinding" noise I hear is the servo motor doing its thing.  My question is did APS tell the ECU to have the servo motor run to rotate throttle body plates with engine off before the flash.  2WDW says that this seems strange, but that their software does not have options to modify throttle body control when engine is not running.  

I agree with Wintersdark, that this is a noisy running motorcycle, but my concern is a noticed change to the engine management control system after my flash while sitting in garage with ignition on engine off.