BMW's "Maintenance Free Chain

betoney

• Supporting Member

BMW announced a new drive chain design that it claims requires as little maintenance as a shaft drive.

If this has the endurance that they claim, it will be worth its weight in ... gold. 😎

082720-bmw-m-endurance-chain-f.jpg

BMW announced a new drive chain design that it claims requires as little...

• Thumbsup 3

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member

Doesn't have BMW stamped all over it... there is hope Regina might make it available to the commoners at some point.

Edited by piotrek
  • Thumbsup 3

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

Yeah, my BMW transmission has "lifetime" fluid too. Lifetime is 80k miles or 5 years by the way. No where did they mention typical lifespan. So essentially they could be claiming a maintenance free chain that lasts 5k.

Sounds like typical BMW marketing.

20 minutes ago, kilo3 said:

So essentially they could be claiming a maintenance free chain that lasts 5k.

Hell, just about any modern chain can make it 5k miles with no maintenance lol.... I do not recommend attempting this.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, kilo3 said:

Yeah, my BMW transmission has "lifetime" fluid too. Lifetime is 80k miles or 5 years by the way. No where did they mention typical lifespan. So essentially they could be claiming a maintenance free chain that lasts 5k.

Sounds like typical BMW marketing.

Aw, c'mon, at least let them get it to market first before deeming it a failure.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 4

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, kmev said:

BMW cannot make a shaft drive that doesn't self-destruct without constant maintenance...

Curious to know what you mean by constant maintenance.

• Supporting Member
9 hours ago, betoney said:

Aw, c'mon, at least let them get it to market first before deeming it a failure.

What fun is that?   😇

Among my favorite internet pre-judgments was the “KTM doesn’t have a clue of how to build a sport bike.”    I just rode a KTM 890 Duke R, and can assure you that was very, very wrong...   

• Thumbsup 4
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, kmev said:

BMW cannot make a shaft drive that doesn't self-destruct without constant maintenance, so I'm not holding my breath on their chain. 

Hopefully, since it is made by Regina, it will fare better than BMW's final drive.  I'm curious to see how that technology evolves.

• Supporting Member
39 minutes ago, texscottyd said:

What fun is that?   😇

Among my favorite internet pre-judgments was the “KTM doesn’t have a clue of how to build a sport bike.”    I just rode a KTM 890 Duke R, and can assure you that was very, very wrong...   

I have read and watched some reviews and it sounds VERY impressive.  They call it "The Scalpel" and with some of the track videos I saw it looks like it lives up to its name. Lightweight, powerful and agile, whats not to love?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, betoney said:

BMW announced a new drive chain design that it claims requires as little maintenance as a shaft drive.

If this has the endurance that they claim, it will be worth its weight in ... gold. 😎

082720-bmw-m-endurance-chain-f.jpg

BMW announced a new drive chain design that it claims requires as little...

Interesting but...

I wonder why they went with chain, given the advantages of modern  belt drive systems.

I'm waiting for a mid-weight tourer with a belt drive!!  Quiet, clean AND low maintenance!

1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, betoney said:

I have read and watched some reviews and it sounds VERY impressive.  They call it "The Scalpel" and with some of the track videos I saw it looks like it lives up to its name. Lightweight, powerful and agile, whats not to love?

It is very impressive.  It’s roomy enough for my 6’1” 225 pound frame, and the responses seem wired directly into your brain.   It’s not crazy fast, but the motor seems like the perfect match to the light weight & ultra-precise handling.    

I still want to hold out until the Aprilia 660 Tuono is available to compare, but it will be a tall order to beat this KTM.  I’m thinking there’s one in my future... 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, piotrek said:

Curious to know what you mean by constant maintenance.

With out regular applications of moly to all drive splines, including the transmission input splines (which requires pulling the transmission) the splines self destruct and you're eventually left with a bike that revs but doesn't move. Even with regular maintenance, my K75 was showing wear at 60,000 miles.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
18 minutes ago, kmev said:

With out regular applications of moly to all drive splines, including the transmission input splines (which requires pulling the transmission) the splines self destruct and you're eventually left with a bike that revs but doesn't move. Even with regular maintenance, my K75 was showing wear at 60,000 miles.

...ok...I am sorry I asked then. Sounds like a pain.