How to remove hand guards?

Sqbydoo

Hello,

I am trying to change my levers and I ran into a small issue. I am new to DIY motorcycle so sorry if it's a noob question. 

I have to remove them to access the bolt in the lever. But the top bolt is so tight in there and I am not sure what to use to remove it. I have a socket set but they don't fit there. Is there some specific tool I should have. 

Screenshot_20200831-220259~5.png

To remove the mirrors you have to remove them from the bigger outer bolt

you remove the whole assembly

image.jpg

• Thumbsup 3

You live more in five minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all their entire life. "Marco Simoncelli" - Yamaha Tracer 900 '19 - Honda CB650R '19

@Sqbydoo The nut that you are showing in your picture is to tighten the mirror so that the whole assembly does not move forward and backward. That nut is accessed by a 10mm socket (as I recall) but you have to grind down the outside of the socket because the outer diameter has to be thin enough to fit down inside that area. But as shown by MrFritz86 the base of the mirror is what needs to be removed so that the hand guard can be removed. Please keep in mind that the base of the mirror on the right side has reverse threading as marked by the horizontal notches. You will have to 'tighten' to 'loosen'. Word of advice: When you reinstall the long allen wrench bolt into the end of the handle bars that holds on the hand guard, use some BLUE loctite on the end of the bolt before installation to keep it from loosening up due to vibration. That was my experience. 

Edited by KillEmAll4u
  • Thumbsup 3

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, KillEmAll4u said:

@Sqbydoo  Please keep in mind that the base of the mirror on the right side has reverse threading as marked by the horizontal notches. You will have to 'tighten' to 'loosen'.

This is the critical advice to follow. 👍

@Sqbydoo - Only the right mirror has this reverse thread.  After years of owning Yamaha's, this still catches me on occasion.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Hi,

Thank you so much for your help. I guess that was my mistake the left side I was able to loosen but the right side didn't moved so I was confused. I thought I need to loosen the top screw. Because on the left the was a small gap between top and bottom parts so I thought that was allowed me to loosen it. I hope I didn't tighten the right side too much :D

Also thanks for the tip about the bold on the ends.

Thanks again everyone!

• Thumbsup 2

• 6 months later...
On 9/1/2020 at 6:40 AM, KillEmAll4u said:

That nut is accessed by a 10mm socket (as I recall) but you have to grind down the outside of the socket because the outer diameter has to be thin enough to fit down inside that area.

There are actually thin walled sockets you can buy also.