• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 49 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

buying a Tracer 900

MickyC51

I'm thinking of buying a leftover4 2019 Tracer 900. I'm worried  about the suspension my FZ09 is a bit lacking suspension wise and I am wondering how the Tracer compares. They're asking $9300 which seems a pretty fair price.

I'm 6' 235 and have no suspension issues. I paid $12,600 for my 2020 2 months ago. I guess if you are going to race it then you may encounter some suspension issues. For a daily rider it's a great bike for the money. 

Edited by Shizzle

Wow $10,600? I was looking and thinking maybe the GT but they're $12,999 here on Long Island. Where are you? For $3500 it might be worth a trip. I know the GT has upgraded suspension but I'm worried about the regular Tracer. I'm also a big guy. 6'  219 lbs

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, MickyC51 said:

I know the GT has upgraded suspension but I'm worried about the regular Tracer. I'm also a big guy. 6'  219 lbs

The GT got damping in separate fork legs and a remote preload adjuster on the shock so you adjust it differently, whether that qualifies as an 'upgrade' is up to you.  The internal damping and spring rate are probably similar. 

If you found the FZ/MT suspension lacking then you might feel the same way about the Tracer.  I would suggest you take a test ride and see how is feels but know that for sporty riding, the suspension can be made much more compliant and for longer range touring the suspension can be made much more comfortable. 

Correct spring rate and considerably improved damping are NOT just for racing, race tracks are smooth and perfectly maintained (usually), city streets and highways can be absolute crap and dangerous.  I would be MUCH more inclined to address suspension issues on a street/touring bike than a race bike, which already come with fairly high spec components.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

4 hours ago, MickyC51 said:

Wow $10,600? I was looking and thinking maybe the GT but they're $12,999 here on Long Island. Where are you? For $3500 it might be worth a trip. I know the GT has upgraded suspension but I'm worried about the regular Tracer. I'm also a big guy. 6'  219 lbs

I fixed my typo, sorry. I paid $12,600. Inventory levels are low around here and most dealers here in the midwest have next to nothing left on the showroom's.

I bought my FJ09 in 2017 from Big St. Charles Motorsports. They offer good deals, but they're kind of shady. I told them I didn't want the YES warranty, but they snuck one in anyway. Shame on me for not noticing. Fortunately I was able to cancel it and get 95% of my money back.

A year or so afterwards, I was notified of a class action lawsuit against them, apparently they had been putting fee's claiming they were "taxes". 

All that being said, I would probably buy there again because the price was so low. Just be prepared to double check the paperwork and play hardball. 

• Thumbsup 1

'15 FJ09

I am thinking about buying a Tracer 900 GT and selling my 2015 Super Tenere......wondering about the ergos for tall people like me. I am 6'4" with a 35" inseam.........plus tired, old knees. I want a lighter motorcycle as my travel/long ride bike and the Tracer GT has the lower weight and features needed. I also have a Tenere 700 and Versys-X 300 for other riding duty.

So, who has owned a Super Tenere and has replaced it with the Tracer GT?? Tall, long leg people preferably. My Super Tenere has handlebar risers, tall windshield, lower pegs, and a taller seat mount....pretty comfortable for me. I am looking to shed about 100-125 by selling the S10 and replacing it with the GT.

Good move??  Thanks for any info.

I asked the same on advrfider.com .....cut/paste is the reason the info above is colored wrong??

Edited by whisperquiet

On 9/2/2020 at 8:23 AM, koth442 said:

I bought my FJ09 in 2017 from Big St. Charles Motorsports. They offer good deals, but they're kind of shady. I told them I didn't want the YES warranty, but they snuck one in anyway. Shame on me for not noticing. Fortunately I was able to cancel it and get 95% of my money back.

A year or so afterwards, I was notified of a class action lawsuit against them, apparently they had been putting fee's claiming they were "taxes". 

All that being said, I would probably buy there again because the price was so low. Just be prepared to double check the paperwork and play hardball. 

I purchased a '13 Super Tenere and '17 Versys-X 300 from the Holzhauer ProMotorsports (owns Big St Charles Motorsports)......knowing their sales process, I clarify everything before completing the sale.  They advertise low prices, but add shipping, set up, and other fees if you don't pay attention.  

I did get a great price on both bikes.....out the door with all costs included.

Edited by whisperquiet
  • Thumbsup 1

You can read the long version of my buying adventure in my new member intro.  Last Wednesday bought a 2020 Tracer GT for 11,495 from Vern Eide Motoplex in Sioux Falls SD.  Found them on Cycle Trader, not only did I get the advertised price, they made me a good offer on my bike to trade! Better yet when I rode 250 miles from where I was staying they checked my bike and gave me the trade price straight up!  Only additional fee was a $200 doc fee.  I did get an extended warranty but they were very open and straightforward about it.  No pressure just the facts.  A very pleasant experience and have to give a shout out for them.  They did that knowing they would probable never see me again as I live 1,500 miles away.  Hear so many stories about the shady folks but not enough about the good folks.  I rode 1,500 miles to get that deal!  🙂 not really that’s just how my trip turned adventure worked.  I have come back from trips with some pretty cool souvenirs but think this is one of the best!

Edited by PhotoAl
  • Like 2

On 9/1/2020 at 8:24 PM, Shizzle said:

I'm 6' 235 and have no suspension issues.

I guess if you are going to race it then you may encounter some suspension issues.

Yes you have. You will not be able to set the correct sag at your weight, you'll find the stock spring is too weak. Of course it works and the bike won't be un ridable, but you don't need to race it to find its limitation. If all you do is ride moderately on flat roads or your light, it's fine. 

Edited by Tripletrouble

Hard to believe for me anyway that Yamaha would design a bike with a 400 pound capacity and the suspension not work for a 235 pound single rider. I have never loaded it up with gear because most of my rides are close but for me anyway the suspension works fine.