Seat time on the FJ09

So, My local dealer has a red FJ09. Ranch Cucamonga Yamaha. Anyway, this was the first time I was able to actually sit on one and give it a thorough look over. Yes, its a nice fitting bike...Im 6' 210lbs. The seat, seat position, pegs, bars, etc are really nice. The bar position is zero lean forward. I put my wife on the back and she fit well and was comfortable (I am legally prohibited from disclosing her weight). The fit and finish is very nice. Just to absolutely confirm this, its a STREET bike, no dirt-it just aint gonna happen!. However, Im looking for a street only, sit up, 2up, bike. I'm liking this bike a lot. So, Ive narrowed it down to a Super T, A Vstrom 1000 and this one. BTW, The dealer did not want to deal even a little. I'll see how he feels when everyone has one next month when its really cold out

If you weigh over 210 + 15 for clothes and can't disclose the weight of the passenger, I would recommend a Super Tenere. I feel the Super T is more suited, especially if you are 6 feet. Max. load on the FJ is 395. If you put side bags on and load them up, you are adding another 60-70 lbs, which may put you over the max. You can get 2012 brand new Super Ten for 12,000.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

If you weigh over 210 + 15 for clothes and can't disclose the weight of the passenger, I would recommend a Super Tenere. I feel the Super T is more suited, especially if you are 6 feet. Max. load on the FJ is 395. If you put side bags on and load them up, you are adding another 60-70 lbs, which may put you over the max. You can get 2012 brand new Super Ten for 12,000.

Or, couldn't one just add heavier springs?

The strength of the subframe, and other parts, are also limiting factors for the carrying capacity of the bike.
I agree. I'm considering the FJ-09 as a one-up sport tourer, or an occasional two-up day ride with a light pillion and no luggage. 
FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

Archived