Freeplay after lever change

Sqbydoo

58 minutes ago, Sqbydoo said:

...but I was riding this bike for a month before without any clutch smells. It only started when I changes the lever.

I understand.  If the smell is from the clutch, improper adjustment at the lever could make it slip. That is what I meant in my prior comment. If you take all the slack out of the clutch cable, and the clutch isn't fully engaged with your hand off the clutch lever - you are going to have some degree of slip caused by poorly adjusted clutch lever (too tight). If the lever is binding that could also cause slippage (not fully release).

Once you get the engagement point right using the stock lever, everything will be OK. 

Your bike is pretty new, but anytime I pull a clutch lever I clean everything (Q-tip is your friend) and apply grease to all pivot points including where the cable end rotates in the lever. I just use wheel bearing grease, anything is better than dry metal-on-metal.

Edited by Lone Wolf
1980 Yamaha 850 Triple (sold). Too many bikes to list, FJ-09 is next on my list

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, Sqbydoo said:

I was riding this bike for a month before without any clutch smells. It only started when I changes the lever.

Any chance you bought a cheap set of levers from Ebay, Ali Express or Amazon?  Some of those cheap levers can cause problems while others work perfect.   I agree with the decision of changing it back to stock to see if everything works normal again. 👍

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

9 minutes ago, betoney said:

Any chance you bought a cheap set of levers from Ebay, Ali Express or Amazon?  Some of those cheap levers can cause problems while others work perfect.   I agree with the decision of changing it back to stock to see if everything works normal again. 👍

Hey. No I was thinking of doing that but went with Pazzo lever they supposed to be great. So I am not sure if I am stupid or smth is wrong :D

• Thumbsup 1

So I changed back to to OEM levers they seem to function same as the other lever. I tried to adjust the engagement point and it's basically same as on the changed one. I wish I was smart enough to have checked how it was before :D

I used the teflon grease as recommend in the manual on all metal on metal. Going to test ride it with the original lever and see how it goes. 

If not I have a service coming this month so will ask them to help me out. 

Feeling unworthy and frustrated :D

• Thumbsup 1

Ok so I think I am back to where it was I rote it yesterday all smoothly and no issues. I still have a small play at the clutch end. 

I mean is this true what this guy is saying, that you need to have some slack down at the clutch? Hope it's ok to post someones video. 

but this guy said he want to remove that slack down at the clutch, sadly he is not showing if there is some when hes is done at the levers

I mean what I have is something like in the beginning of this video, but my "clutch arm" would not come back like in this video. I am not sure what I had to do to fix that ;/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rx-74e7D_Yk

Edited by Sqbydoo