Ride the Ribbon - 2020

daboo

I went to this ride with the Concours Owners Group last year for the first time.  The "ribbon" is one of several rivers in the area.  The roads follow the course of the river and twist and wind their way through the mountains and hills.  With excellent pavement and twisty roads, this place is totally awesome to ride.  And then in the evening after riding hard, the group parties hard.  All good friends, and each year and each event builds the relationships with people who live even several states away.

Left on Friday with Andy and Nancy.  We headed over Chinook Pass and down to Yakima.

It's kinda cool to realize that mountain in the background will be in my rearview mirror in a couple hours.
ACtC-3fI2Ft3FVmVNuWZszeiMzZVWg_RdmJmJrZB

At Chinook Pass
ACtC-3fSjAQBN6MgqTsyVXDhIglJr_aBPEnd0pQr

ACtC-3cla9BXFi9ZJWbJmWSfmWOR_uXLHq0crzld

ACtC-3eSHDekU5xjVqCBntAglaG3rRGAChliIGf8

Heading toward Yakima
ACtC-3cUDcKgPp3RktM7WPkUTW2HaOE4QWeHsfkH

Look on the hillside, and you'll see it is on fire.
ACtC-3c49jJEMb0usxyIUy2Iy2iuUkGOdsfbC8NU

ACtC-3e7krPOodub0Dy9wQV5WNXTUGKikquePZRw

ACtC-3fCJ1q-iOyagaEndTNb-6eJKTqb9JwTbFrE

ACtC-3eA41VdmJcZLW2zJ50_m-aKc2chptnmjsi9

ACtC-3cS3wt1XfTMuRkCroAB9soN-BfsRnvmbgr5

Temps were pretty high on the way in.  My bike read 112F several times.  Luckily, the cooling vest worked well.  :)

Charlie led a good sized group along the Middle Fork of the John Day River.  

ACtC-3cEaWehMrtsXOtxI6nqDYIC3sgiCLYHRwRj

ACtC-3fkGE68h0TrUOwlA0hV_5yZ7qwpMKjcMmLk

Every turn had a beautiful view of the river as you followed it for miles and miles.

I love the rock formations.
ACtC-3dMydTCvbxQ_QF8mkGKf-I51TfNJKC0EPjs

ACtC-3dtHeiy1ZNqmdcGvuVuauewOsBFF3INpPVi

ACtC-3d2NQ52dQYJm7BTLLcYxJy7f5nqJASkwZEE

ACtC-3dF4FVZjTiVXEqXKHEHRFxiPDMvAvi3Iy_g

ACtC-3cDmJ6q1mQ3zI4pHb4VpXaYrRltp7hzLOUh

ACtC-3fXuhBFbmzBXa_CWS7qP84N2x7EncdYoCIH

ACtC-3dmH8bWImtHrJMO6pcVUfIeWvJc3NGp4QwD

Monday was the day to get back home.  Andy and I left at a few minutes after 6am.  I should've taken a picture of the quiet and still parking lot.  As the poem says, "Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse".

The sun was coming up behind us and made for some incredible lighting effects on the landscape.
ACtC-3fNpvOz1L6p6gA3jnz9I-_abfkKu7WbLsYJ

ACtC-3dmIhdKFfzbanMmz8iAgcwzlPX-rS99jsp5

ACtC-3eaLJsPksKc83npzza47BDsYIprjgVPLb5M

ACtC-3e_DfuWdNTOBe0cQxUw1n1XVEEF-o3XKsrB

Everywhere you look, you see different colours and textures in the landscape.
ACtC-3eKOuvMD5C3brb38EBbR3MrFE_pOyugTqaV

ACtC-3cbWkDd-5_8FVXKLSFFM2lFIiFFferyWGwL

ACtC-3cT4rL3Iq_B5WLw-U2I5IqMucufqfgSBryK

ACtC-3fvJdgP1JCNwcum4U3fofDyt9aBc0xtGmeN

ACtC-3cbfvSUBa2mDD5QF_2mzopIdGzVHv1r9wdh

ACtC-3embtM5d0WJs1sE67Xm8pDkOKcGVYUBckKB

ACtC-3cdYnRH04s5vGARBwc0KSOcwWy_z_RzXdUC

We hit some high side winds and a dust storm on the way back.
ACtC-3fctbesRj-NY49SI0pZFbshIde6m3y81gRd

One thing that sticks in my mind as I travel, is when I see old abandoned buildings.  Not just barns, but houses that used to be homes.  What stories would they tell if they could reveal the hopes and dreams of the people who lived there?  The children that grew up there?
ACtC-3f2oWT4H4wyPYLgMBdX1OwFstCZ7MEG7iJW

ACtC-3dKSC6fHbYQV-LcwFBf32n7o9YdELb5nnCo

Later, Mt. Adams on the horizon.
ACtC-3cIfgvZG-yCAvaRaRgr-OVZux2ACwMW24nx

I think this is near Yakima.  Note the rock just sticking out of the middle of that hillside where the road disappears.
ACtC-3cnwYllQA-3Ldtyad3khphm1MHwsuemVLjk

Heading up towards Chinook Pass on the final stretch home.
ACtC-3cA3zXnjM0m2A9TchqqG4shqX5tw8Oi3Bq5

Andy.  Great rider, with a great personality.
ACtC-3d6r10aPNQeJcZfI-3lf9_VMh0lQBzGAIbD

ACtC-3fKBFIp-dTjL3xGF8K3DhpyPwTmrXEM2-og

Mt. Rainier
ACtC-3eXudxfVxuapN1_cYEbSioryvjS5k12cGcW

ACtC-3f0QS5Y8hP-8CyxpIjZWrAp3KP6mOXyrSfj

Chris
  • Thumbsup 5
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, daboo said:

Charlie led a good sized group along the Middle Fork of the John Day River.  

ACtC-3cEaWehMrtsXOtxI6nqDYIC3sgiCLYHRwRj

ACtC-3fkGE68h0TrUOwlA0hV_5yZ7qwpMKjcMmLk

Every turn had a beautiful view of the river as you followed it for miles and miles.

I love the rock formations.
ACtC-3dMydTCvbxQ_QF8mkGKf-I51TfNJKC0EPjs

ACtC-3dtHeiy1ZNqmdcGvuVuauewOsBFF3INpPVi

ACtC-3d2NQ52dQYJm7BTLLcYxJy7f5nqJASkwZEE

ACtC-3dF4FVZjTiVXEqXKHEHRFxiPDMvAvi3Iy_g

ACtC-3cDmJ6q1mQ3zI4pHb4VpXaYrRltp7hzLOUh

ACtC-3fXuhBFbmzBXa_CWS7qP84N2x7EncdYoCIH

Thanks for the photos Chris.  I never get tired of riding in Oregon, I was just riding in the Clatsop State Forest this morning, Clatskanie, Mist, Jewell to Tillamook and then up to Astoria.

Could you share which highway(s) you were riding in the above photos?

Thanks, Brian

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Some gorgeous views as usual from your rides. I'm always most impressed by how smooth your road surfaces are compared to here.

Just out of interest, on that mahoosively long straight section, what would the legal speed limit be?

• Supporting Member

Come to Michigan, USA Stew.....you will probably feel right at home! 🤥

Thanks daboo for sharing the pics. I too would like to ride out your way. Only been to the PNW once and Crater Lake was the high point of that car ride!

• Thumbsup 2

11 hours ago, Stew said:

Some gorgeous views as usual from your rides. I'm always most impressed by how smooth your road surfaces are compared to here.

Just out of interest, on that mahoosively long straight section, what would the legal speed limit be?

:D Oregon's roads seem much nicer than Washington's roads.  I've been tempted to buy an "Adventure" bike, not because I want to go off road, but because the pot holes are so big here it is like riding off road.

As for the "legal speed limit" in that section...I'm not sure.  Probably between 55 and 65 mph.  

I attached some screen captures of where we went each day.  I have GPX files, but can't seem to upload them.  PM me, if you want those.

Chris

RtR 5 Sept.jpg

RtR 6 Sept.jpg

RtR 7 Sept.jpg

• Thumbsup 4
  • Thanks 2

• Premium Member

Beautiful country. I should be riding that area right now on the North by Northwest Rally, but I had to back out due to the fire/smoke situation around here. 

Is that Upper Middle Fork Road from US-395 to US-26 paved all the way through? I've been on many deer hunts in that area, but always south of Keeney Forks Road which is mostly gravel. It is beautiful country around there. For some reason I never explored the area up around Upper Middle Fork Road.

• Supporting Member
1 minute ago, keithu said:

Beautiful country. I should be riding that area right now on the North by Northwest Rally, but I had to back out due to the fire/smoke situation around here.

I hope you guys are doing alright, I have been following the fire developments and sadly The Detroit Lake area and Rainbow/ Cougar Reservoir area West of McKenzie Pass has been destroyed.

Stay safe.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
43 minutes ago, betoney said:

I hope you guys are doing alright, I have been following the fire developments and sadly The Detroit Lake area and Rainbow/ Cougar Reservoir area West of McKenzie Pass has been destroyed.

Stay safe.

We're fine. We are in Albany which has become one of the evacuation points; smoke here is terrible but we're far enough from the forests that there shouldn't be a major fire danger here. My sister-in-law near Brownsville is under level 2 evacuation though and they'll be coming here if it gets to level 3. And to top it all off, my mother-in-law is having health issues and it looks like we need to do an emergency wheelchair ramp build tomorrow in Lebanon, hazardous air quality or not. Fun times. 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

I love riding this area!  The pix you shared @daboo are fantastic! I find it hard to capture the essence of central OR, and you managed to do it! 

• Like 1

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

On 9/11/2020 at 10:17 AM, keithu said:

Is that Upper Middle Fork Road from US-395 to US-26 paved all the way through? I've been on many deer hunts in that area, but always south of Keeney Forks Road which is mostly gravel. It is beautiful country around there. For some reason I never explored the area up around Upper Middle Fork Road.

All the roads were paved.

It's a shame about the fires.  We went through at about the last possible time, not realizing how much it would change in a matter of days and even hours.  Detroit Lake was beautiful.  I hope it isn't totally destroyed.

In many areas, I saw old dead trees piled up like someone was planning on having a huge bonfire.  Hundreds of them.  I'm sure that contributed to the fires getting out of hand.

Chris

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, daboo said:

All the roads were paved.

It's a shame about the fires.  We went through at about the last possible time, not realizing how much it would change in a matter of days and even hours.  Detroit Lake was beautiful.  I hope it isn't totally destroyed.

In many areas, I saw old dead trees piled up like someone was planning on having a huge bonfire.  Hundreds of them.  I'm sure that contributed to the fires getting out of hand.

Chris

It appears that the entire town of Detroit was destroyed, and there is a lot of damage in nearby communities as well. My son (a plumber) had to do some emergency work in Mill City Friday and saw some pretty awful things. 

I'm not sure if the tree piles you saw were slash piles or actually piles of lumber. Slash piles are normal after a logging operation and I would not think they contribute to fires getting worse. There is blame enough to go around for this situation including a freak wind storm last Monday, climate change, past fire suppression, and ill-conceived forest management practices. There isn't any one simple thing to blame.