New Niken GT owner

maximNikenGT

• Supporting Member

Greetings! Just took ownership of a used 2019 Niken GT today with only 800 miles on the odometer. Was looking for forums to share info and stumbled on this one.  

A couple of notes now that I've had time to do some basic servicing on the bike and explored the user manual. 

1.  Cannot stand how little clearance one has to attach an air compressor tire pressure tool to the rear wheel. Had to use my right angle bike pump to get air pressure in the proper level. 

2. 600 mile oil change had not been done on this one and shops charge  anywhere from $340 to $430USD for the first 600 mile service. 

3. Was surprised that there are 10 different heat level settings for the grip warmers. 

4.  In lieu of a traditional helmet lock they give you a cable that attaches to the rear on seat (you have to take the pillion off to secure a helmet through the loop). 

5. Black finish on the wheels are gorgeous. 

6. Could not find a set of hand protector guards that fit the Niken e.g. Bark busters. 

7. Printed version of the service manual is $89 USD. 

8. Softcases have red reflectors on them as well as Amber reflectors on the front shock tubes. 

9. Could not find confirmed fit for topcases (was thinking Givi monokey top case) and required mounting accessories that weren't all sold out. 

10. Cannot wait to get my license plate and insurance active to go for a ride.

E7A413C2-5852-4103-8A3B-E20F14C7F983.jpeg

8A1A1E15-C7F8-4D2C-8AB9-84866B11C417.jpeg

Edited by maximNikenGT
Accuracy correction and added images
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Like 2

2019 Niken GT
"Motorcycles - the brand is not important, the fact that you ride is."

Welcome aboard. Now the spending really begins :)

I just had my 24000 mile service done, the 'BIG' service. And it cost less than the minimum you've been quoted for the first service.
There is a Haynes manual available for a lot less than that printed service manual, that would cover most of the things on your model, other than the front end I would imagine.

Enjoy every mile.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 1

• Supporting Member

@maximNikenGT - Congrats on the new Niken, I had the opportunity to ride one at Yamaha's recent demo days and was very impressed.  One thing I really liked, (besides the exceptional front end handling) was the smoothness of the motor, the Niken uses a slightly heavier crank than the other CP3 versions and the extra rotating mass is immediately noticeable, it makes the on/off fueling issues feel non existent.  I think all of the CP3 motors should use that heavier crank.

For air valves, right angle stems will make your life so much easier.

• Thumbsup 3

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member

Will definitely check the Haynes manual. Thanks for the tip. 

Also, is it normal to be encountering such polarizing opinions on the 3 wheeled nature of the bike? My long time Goldwing rider buddy reacted in  horror as though I was a living zombie when I mentioned that I was considering getting a Niken GT. 

Also a lot of my photos are appearing upside down in this forum when I upload. Is there a way to correct that?  I know I didn't take any photos upside down. 

The photo is initial delivery to my garage. 

0DD81E44-569F-4719-A00B-003B97791773.jpeg

Edited by BBB
photo right way up now
  • Thumbsup 3
  • Like 1

2019 Niken GT

• Supporting Member
4 minutes ago, betoney said:

@maximNikenGT - Congrats on the new Niken, I had the opportunity to ride one at Yamaha's recent demo days and was very impressed.  One thing I really liked, (besides the exceptional front end handling) was the smoothness of the motor, the Niken uses a slightly heavier crank than the other CP3 versions and the extra rotating mass is immediately noticeable, it makes the on/off fueling issues feel non existent.  I think all of the CP3 motors should use that heavier crank.

For air valves, right angle stems will make your life so much easier.

Thanks betoney. In the 90 degree valve stems can you confirm the appropriate size to buy? There are two sizes listed at Revzilla.com, an 11mm one and a smaller one. Didn't know if the smaller 15in front wheels use a different size valve stem?

• Thumbsup 1

2019 Niken GT

The upside down photo's is a feature for our southern hemisphere brethern ;)

Please don't take the following as any interpretation of why anyone should buy a Niken, it's just my confession of being set in my ways and refusing to see progress. Anyway....

I was dead against the idea of the Niken, until my mum (83 and much wiser than me) suddenly hit me with a truth bomb and said, if you got too stiff to put your leg down at lights, or ended up disabled, would you rather drive a car or a bike like the Niken. Game set and match to my mum.
I would have a test ride on one, but I have spent all I own on my Tracer, so if I loved it I would be sitting in a pool of tears.

Enjoy every mile, and keep the photos coming, we all love bike photos.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Supporting Member
11 minutes ago, maximNikenGT said:

Thanks betoney. In the 90 degree valve stems can you confirm the appropriate size to buy? There are two sizes listed at Revzilla.com, an 11mm one and a smaller one. Didn't know if the smaller 15in front wheels use a different size valve stem?

All Japanese bikes should use the 11.3mm stems.

• Supporting Member
16 minutes ago, maximNikenGT said:

Also, is it normal to be encountering such polarizing opinions on the 3 wheeled nature of the bike? My long time Goldwing rider buddy reacted in  horror as though I was a living zombie when I mentioned that I was considering getting a Niken GT.

Yes, unfortunately it is.  I have read a lot of forums where 'riders' - who have never seen or ridden the bike - immediately write it off without even giving it a chance just because it has a 2nd front wheel.  While I was riding it, if I didn't know I was riding the Niken, I would have had no idea that the 2nd wheel was there, you cant see it or feel it while riding. 🤷‍♀️

I wrote this a few months ago.

• Thanks 2

• Supporting Member

Way cool - congrats.  That engine is amazing.

Unusual bike; yes.  Bad?  Not at all!!  Very interesting concept.  I like how your mom thinks...

• Thumbsup 2

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, maximNikenGT said:

I wouldn’t say it’s normal, but unfortunately it’s not uncommon.   By all unbiased accounts the Niken is a stunning design & execution, and I’m eager to get a chance to ride one myself...   Congratulations to you on the purchase.  

It seems that far too many people are stuck in their ways of thinking about what’s right - based exclusively on what they think they ‘know’ - and the Internet gives them an unfiltered place to vocalize their opinions.   It’s especially prevalent in groups that tend to specialize and form their own cliques:  Goldwing , BMW, Harley, the assorted sport bike crowds, and yes even us of the FJ/Tracer loyalists.  The more revolutionary the change is (and the Niken is way out there on the cool revolutionary spectrum), the more the luddites are going to dismiss what they don’t understand.  Their loss; just enjoy your new bike!  

Personally, I applaud Yamaha for trying something new & innovative.  Anything that helps promote & grow the power sports industry is a good thing in my book.

-Scott  

• Thumbsup 4

2 hours ago, Stew said:

The upside down photo's is a feature for our southern hemisphere brethern ;)

Please don't take the following as any interpretation of why anyone should buy a Niken, it's just my confession of being set in my ways and refusing to see progress. Anyway....

I was dead against the idea of the Niken, until my mum (83 and much wiser than me) suddenly hit me with a truth bomb and said, if you got too stiff to put your leg down at lights, or ended up disabled, would you rather drive a car or a bike like the Niken. Game set and match to my mum.
I would have a test ride on one, but I have spent all I own on my Tracer, so if I loved it I would be sitting in a pool of tears.

Enjoy every mile, and keep the photos coming, we all love bike photos.

If you do get a test ride, put your feet down when you stop or you'll owe the dealer some money.  The Niken doesn't stand up on its own like the Piaggio three wheel scooters do, for instance.

• Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
44 minutes ago, Stew said:

does it not? Seriously? Why not, would that not make a ton of sense.

No it doesn’t.  I actually wish they could offer that as an option for someone who is elderly or partially disabled. 
Something like a parking brake lever? Or some interlock that activates/deactivates when the bikes is put into gear? 

• Like 1