Ideas for Niken accessories

maximNikenGT

• Supporting Member
28 minutes ago, maximNikenGT said:

Placed an order for SW Motech Kobra handguards after calling up Barkbusters and being told they currently do not have a handguard kit for Nikens. My 

hpr_00_220_25300_b_4_xl.jpg

KOBRA handguards offer protection from weather conditions and falls and...

hands were cold during an evening ride earlier this week and these should help fight  that. 

Definitely consider the extensions if you haven't already bought them.  I find that some hand guard shields are decent at blocking wind but a bigger shield is an improvement. 

hpr_00_220_30100_b_3_xl.jpg

More protection against the weather, suitable for KOBRA Handguard Kit, for...

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
On 9/15/2020 at 4:40 AM, Tango said:

Probably snake oil...

But if you mount them backwards I heard they actually call the deer TO you... 😀 😉

GREAT idea for hunting season. 😎

• Thumbsup 1

• 1 month later...
  • Supporting Member

Going to get me a RAM wireless phone charger mount. I'm eating through my iPhone XR battery relatively quickly with google maps navigation, Napster music, in addition to the bluetooth wireless to my Black Box Aurora running full time. 

Am also going to need to get me a waterproof Garmin Zumo unit. What does everyone use these days for waterproof GPS? 

2019 Niken GT
"Motorcycles - the brand is not important, the fact that you ride is."

• Supporting Member
14 minutes ago, maximNikenGT said:

Am also going to need to get me a waterproof Garmin Zumo unit. What does everyone use these days for waterproof GPS? 

I have never used a waterproof unit.  I have used standard Garmin Nuvi and Drive units for many years without issue.  Been in the rain many times, even torrential downpours.  Keeping it tucked in behind the screen keeps it dry.

image.thumb.png.7e1e64203bf1497a3cceb06194757338.png

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
24 minutes ago, betoney said:

I have never used a waterproof unit.  I have used standard Garmin Nuvi and Drive units for many years without issue.  Been in the rain many times, even torrential downpours.  Keeping it tucked in behind the screen keeps it dry.

image.thumb.png.7e1e64203bf1497a3cceb06194757338.png

How is that mounted like that? Didn't look like a RAM mount...

2019 Niken GT

3 hours ago, maximNikenGT said:

Not Garmin, I use the TomTom Rider 400. There are updated models now, but it's waterproof, easy clip on, rotatable and I have another mount for in the car so I can use the same unit there too. Free speed camera updates is essential 😉

I use the winding road facility a lot, to discover new routes and also really appreciate the average speed camera function (which is the curse of UK roads).

Plan your best bike adventures with TomTom Rider 400. Enjoy winding...

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Supporting Member
7 hours ago, maximNikenGT said:

How is that mounted like that? Didn't look like a RAM mount...

I use a RAM EZ-Roll'r cradle on a double socket arm for adjustability. 

I made my own base mount out of L-angle aluminum stock, though it is tucked down behind the instrument gauge so no photos available. 

Details and specifications of the RAM® EZ-Roll'r™ Cradle for Garmin nuvi...

• Supporting Member
7 minutes ago, betoney said:

I use a RAM EZ-Roll'r cradle on a double socket arm for adjustability. 

I made my own base mount out of L-angle aluminum stock, though it is tucked down behind the instrument gauge so no photos available. 

Details and specifications of the RAM® EZ-Roll'r™ Cradle for Garmin nuvi...

I love the way you have that set up directly above the instruments. Very clean and protected. Had no idea about the EZ-Roll'r - am going to rethink the waterproof GPS. 

• Thumbsup 1

2019 Niken GT

• Supporting Member

I've heard that the Tom Tom is better internationally (my lone experience with Tom Tom was in Taiwan where their Chinese character support appeared to be better for local roads) but for US, preference is strong on the Garmin. I'll need to do a more recent bake off between the two since my last experience with Tom Tom years ago was that they weren't quite to the level of software refinement and calculation speed as the Garmins. 

2019 Niken GT

• Supporting Member
16 minutes ago, maximNikenGT said:

I love the way you have that set up directly above the instruments. Very clean and protected. Had no idea about the EZ-Roll'r - am going to rethink the waterproof GPS. 

I enjoying fiddling and tweaking things on the bike, I didn't find the exact part I needed for the base mount so I made a bracket through trial and error.  I LOVE my Dremel and sanding sponge. 

• Supporting Member
12 hours ago, betoney said:

I enjoying fiddling and tweaking things on the bike, I didn't find the exact part I needed for the base mount so I made a bracket through trial and error.  I LOVE my Dremel and sanding sponge. 

Did the bracket you made from aluminum have any vibration issues? Was curious as to how you fabricated it to minimize vibration at speed.

2019 Niken GT

• Supporting Member
22 minutes ago, maximNikenGT said:

Did the bracket you made from aluminum have any vibration issues? Was curious as to how you fabricated it to minimize vibration at speed.

No vibrations, the screen is very legible.  It is attached to the screen mount plate. 

Kind of hard to describe without photos but I used the top part of this RAM adapter with the ball and bolted it to the flat surface of the L-angle aluminum.

RAM Rail Base with Zinc Coated U-Bolt & 1" Ball for Rails from 0.5" to 1.25" in Diameter

• Supporting Member
On 11/12/2020 at 11:05 PM, betoney said:

No vibrations, the screen is very legible.  It is attached to the screen mount plate. 

Kind of hard to describe without photos but I used the top part of this RAM adapter with the ball and bolted it to the flat surface of the L-angle aluminum.

RAM Rail Base with Zinc Coated U-Bolt & 1" Ball for Rails from 0.5" to 1.25" in Diameter

Written description helps - I  can picture that. What did you mount the aluminum bracket to? Frame?

2019 Niken GT

• Supporting Member
On 11/12/2020 at 12:51 AM, maximNikenGT said:

Going to get me a RAM wireless phone charger mount. I'm eating through my iPhone XR battery relatively quickly with google maps navigation, Napster music, in addition to the bluetooth wireless to my Black Box Aurora running full time. 

Just took delivery of  RAM wireless phone mount. Will be getting a separate USB splitter from Arboreal Systems to plug into my Neutrino Aurora's USB port to power the RAM wireless holder.

Only downside is that this isn't really designed to hold the phone in a landscape position due to the clamping mechanism. The mount came with a rubber tether that should help keep it secure if mounting in landscape format (which is how the Arboreal Systems Neutrino displays it's menu for toggling electronic switches.

Now just have to see how to route the USB cable under the seats and gas tank, to the handlebars while allowing enough play to turn the handlebars. Hopefully  the included USB cable is long enough. 

8AC1193E-6236-40A6-BC35-EC287F7752F4.jpeg

AB6048E0-24E0-4074-8E81-C7575CA76E51.jpeg

180C3851-4A13-4CC6-9FFA-CD299AC14122.jpeg

B2BFFB7D-DAD7-4F35-AB61-7E4CBAF44FC8.jpeg

12A93350-8FD0-44DF-B89E-987D700C5753.jpeg

C8A1AB01-11DE-4C0D-BE29-EBC471BEB7A0.jpeg

17CAB563-E0D5-4A11-A327-4D744A0F00A5.jpeg

2019 Niken GT

• Supporting Member

Ok-just spent 3 hours taking apart and putting back on my fairings just to hide my power cable going to my new RAM Quick Grip Qi wireless charging mount. It's been awhile since I've had a bike with this much fairing on it. Last bike I had with lots of fairings was my first sports bike, a 1993 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6E. The Niken GT has about a third more bolts and quick fasteners on upper fairings than my old Ninja ZX-6E (and this was just disassembling the right side and top fairing on the Niken GT). Niken GT technical manual was super helpful in identifying locations of fasteners and bolts, but one part took a very long time to separate because there was one more bolt hidden behind the fuse protector shield that wasn't identified in the technical manual. Once I found it, then it was relatively smooth sailing. What was interesting was that after finally taking off the side cowling, I realized that I didn't have to take off the top section since there was enough clearance underneath to route my power cables. Oh well, now I have an idea of how much effort it will take to change out the air filter once I get closer to 24k miles. 

Only problem now is I have one machine bolt and one quick fastener that for the life of me I couldn't find where these were supposed to go - grrrr... OCD part of me won't let up until I find where the these go. Good thing I took video to document but I'll have to re-trace my steps to see what I might have missed. 

RAM wireless mount is powered by the USB port on my Arboreal Systems Neutrino+. I have to say, if you want to minimize the clutter of wires and eliminate a bunch of relays, fuses and switches, then this (or an equivalent electronic power distribution switch) is the way to go. Very pleased with how it's handling all my electrical needs on the Niken GT. So far I've got it powering the tail LEDs in my Givi trunk, single port for my heated vest, my RAM wireless phone mount, and once I get my SW Motech crash bars in and installed, it's also going to power my auxiliary lights that I'm planning on mounting to them, as well as an additional heated port to power heated pants. 

C850A32F-205B-4597-B1DB-93A865065BC7.jpeg

D8E535BF-72CD-48CC-B4F0-5D7A847AC613.jpeg

BAF12EAC-651C-4FE1-8DF3-16F705FC44E3.jpeg

F5F9068E-0F54-4599-B936-C7B52170A02D.jpeg

29AA14A5-4355-475E-9CFC-B28E1C8E4AFE.jpeg

0CB27831-A527-4308-94BC-6CEC76AC9C5A.jpeg

CB6181C6-942B-4241-9BAE-100B33DAE8D6.jpeg

• Thumbsup 1

2019 Niken GT