No wax finish??? The horror...

maximNikenGT

• Supporting Member

Saw this in my owners manual. So washing only and no wax allowed on the matte finish? Is anyone using some kind of alternative paint protection?

80703123-8832-4580-A021-6754584EF1C0.jpeg

2019 Niken GT
"Motorcycles - the brand is not important, the fact that you ride is."

• Supporting Member
15 minutes ago, maximNikenGT said:

Saw this in my owners manual. So washing only and no wax allowed on the matte finish? Is anyone using some kind of alternative paint protection?

80703123-8832-4580-A021-6754584EF1C0.jpeg

Correct, you don't wax or polish a matte finish, you use cleaners designed for matte finish.

Matte-finish.jpg

HowStuffWorks debunks the myth that a car with matte finish paint is super...

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

You're worried about after wash finishes? My last bike was washed twice in over 10 years. It felt so bad to get it dirty again, that I just left it. After a year or 2 the dirt sort of doesn't show anymore.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

• Premium Member

Maybe I'm not the best person to answer this because I don't wax the painted parts either, but I don't think anything else is necessary. After 5+ years of riding through rain, bug storms, construction zones, sitting out in the sun and rain at work, etc. the matte parts of my bike are still matte. The finish seems to be pretty durable. 

• Thumbsup 1

Like the manual says, don't wax it. That is, not with regular wax. Unless you want your matte finish to become (semi)glossy.

I do use a special matt wax, just to make the water repel and make sure dirt (like bird poo) doesn't stick to the matt finish right away. I use S100 matt-wachs spray.

As a somewhat enthusiastic car detailer, I had to get used to not wax or polish my bike as well. But one gets used to it. 

• Thumbsup 2

My BMW F800GT had a matte finish, never put anything on it except for dirt and bugs.  It looked good when i traded it in after 2 years.  I took it one time for service and they "cleaned it up" for me.  Sprayed some sort of greasy glossy stuff all over it.  Was a nice gesture but not right for the bike!  LOL never did was it off, it was gone after a couple of days riding in the rain.  Bought some Groitts Garage wash that is safe for matte finishes so they say.  My bikes stay in the garage except on trips when they live outside 24/7 without a cover.  Since it is a new bike and I'm super excited about it I'm planning on looking for some matte specific "stuff" for it.  Crazy part is some parts are matte and some are glossy.

• Thumbsup 1