Yamaha Niken gas opening normal?

maximNikenGT

• Supporting Member

Is this normal for Yamaha with a gas opening designed like this?

I did my first fill up the other night at my local has station and the fuel pump failed to turn off by itself as it approached full. 

My '04 BMW R1150R and Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6E had a different design so wasn't sure if this was standard on the Yamaha or unique to the Niken?

image.jpg

Edited by maximNikenGT
Grammar correction

2019 Niken GT
"Motorcycles - the brand is not important, the fact that you ride is."

• Supporting Member

Hm, looks identical to my FJ - and the pump(s) shut off a bit early for me, haha.  Have to squeeze lightly to top it up.  Maybe you were at a pump that's not so sensitive?

• Thanks 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Supporting Member
1 minute ago, knyte said:

Hm, looks identical to my FJ - and the pump(s) shut off a bit early for me, haha.  Have to squeeze lightly to top it up.  Maybe you were at a pump that's not so sensitive?

Same here, my experience is also having the pump shut off early and having to slowly fill the remainder.

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Just now, knyte said:

I was about to post almost word for word. Then I thought, hang on, maybe mine is the one with the problem ;)

It shuts off early for me, then I do the same light squeeeeeez ever so gently till I see a wee drop of petrol just come over the one of the front 3  holes. (Hoping not to have a sudden hand spasm and ending up with a face full of petrol)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Stew said:

I was about to post almost word for word. Then I thought, hang on, maybe mine is the one with the problem ;)

It shuts off early for me, then I do the same light squeeeeeez ever so gently till I see a wee drop of petrol just come over the one of the front 3  holes. (Hoping not to have a sudden hand spasm and ending up with a face full of petrol)

i did exactly that when i was filling up once! was topping off with the nozzle almost out of the hole and i pulled it out a little too far and gas sprayed back from hitting the the edge of the cutout.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mine has a few more holes I think, I did the spray gas everywhere thing once on my trip home.  Been riding long stretches and then to fill the tank very full - when on side stand will fill until half of the bottom is covered.  Since Im going to get on the bike and ride for 150 to 200 miles I don't worry about leaving a lot of expansion room.  Figure fuel will be used before expansion will be a problem.  If was going to leave it sitting in the hot sun would be different.  I want that extra bit of fuel as a gas station is not always there so want as much range as possible.

• Like 1

I spilled a bit of fuel over the tank when we were on our tour a few weeks ago. I hadn't noticed when I put it on the centre stand at the pump that the loaded panniers and top box  had tilted the bike onto the back wheel. When the tank was almost full the balance point changed and the bike dropped onto the front tyre dropping the tank an inch or so away from the petrol nozzle and splashing petrol over the tank and down the side of the bike. I did jump back quite fast in case the petrol was making its way to the hot exhaust.

Don't imagine that will ever be a problem with a Niken however.

Edited by HGP61
Additional text
  • Thumbsup 1

apparently normal for Yamaha. I've found if your patient yoy can get more fuel in. Get it over the holes, it drops below, put in more, etc. for several cycles. can get up to half a gallon more.

Dont try with a kalli. bike with a charcoal canister.

also don't try if you will just park it and let it sit. Just when you're going to ride.

• Thumbsup 1

1 hour ago, peteinpa said:

apparently normal for Yamaha. I've found if your patient yoy can get more fuel in. Get it over the holes, it drops below, put in more, etc. for several cycles. can get up to half a gallon more.

Dont try with a kalli. bike with a charcoal canister.

also don't try if you will just park it and let it sit. Just when you're going to ride.

In my Tenere and FJR days, we would take an ice pick and poke a couple extra holes near the curve point of the bottom piece to facilitate the fueling process and to squeeze in a few more ounces.  As you say, still not a good idea to overfill if you are planning to park right away.