Your Niken GT questions answered

maximNikenGT

• Supporting Member
14 minutes ago, estell said:

I don't see any language referencing displacement in the current regulations. They may have repealed the two-sized license in recent years. It was stupid anyway, but the policeman was glad to give me the ticket for it. 

Your awful experience brings up an alternative concern, if I were to ride through your state, could I theoretically be stopped and ticketed as a non resident for not having a three wheeler license? I have a valid motorcycle license from my home state. 

2019 Niken GT
"Motorcycles - the brand is not important, the fact that you ride is."

• Premium Member

My drivers license specifically states that it is restricted to two-wheel motorcycles only. If your license does not have a similar restriction on it, then I expect that you will be okay. However, I can't say that with certainty. 

image.thumb.png.361750339a14de1b561253ec07a52b35.png

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

• Supporting Member
5 minutes ago, estell said:

My drivers license specifically states that it is restricted to two-wheel motorcycles only. If your license does not have a similar restriction on it, then I expect that you will be okay. However, I can't say that with certainty. 

image.thumb.png.361750339a14de1b561253ec07a52b35.png

Interesting -my NC motorcycle says this - no mention of any two vs three wheeled category. 

CF8FB416-CBD3-4865-BAA6-B3C6D6D727C0.jpeg

2019 Niken GT

• 5 months later...
  • Supporting Member

Took the Niken out for a night ride tonight. Fantastic machine and makes a great touring bike for one, a good touring bike if carrying a pillion rider (although comfy, pillion seating on a Goldwing, K1600 GTL or Yamaha Eluder is tough to beat).

Long rides are so easy on the Niken with the comfy ergonomics (seat and handlebar position), cruise control, and engine smoothness. However, you'll want to add a topcase/trunk for any serious long distance touring capabilities. 

Have to say if you're looking for a touring bike and are seriously considering a BMW K1600 GT or Honda Goldwing, and don't two up ride that often, then take a serious look at the Niken GT. 

2019 Niken GT

Here in the UK (and Europe), the Niken is defined legally as a two wheeler because the wheel spacing is only 410mm.

The Niken has caused issues within the regulation industry, for example the MOT (our fitness test) has had to bulletins issued because of the Niken which says it is mot'd as a bicycle (motor bicycle) not as a trike.

I did speak to a copper and he said that as far as traffic and roads policing were concerned as long as the rider had a full licence with the correct power designation (various kW steps) then they were only bothered that the machine was insured.

Regarding interstate travel, here in europe (not the EU, the wider continent) 'visitor rights' apply whereby if it is legal in your own country, then it is legal for temporary visits. The only exception there is the German plod, who take exception to extremely modified vehicles - which they will prohibit on the spot if it doesnt comply with local laws.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
6 hours ago, pilninggas said:

Here in the UK (and Europe), the Niken is defined legally as a two wheeler because the wheel spacing is only 410mm.

The Niken has caused issues within the regulation industry, for example the MOT (our fitness test) has had to bulletins issued because of the Niken which says it is mot'd as a bicycle (motor bicycle) not as a trike.

I did speak to a copper and he said that as far as traffic and roads policing were concerned as long as the rider had a full licence with the correct power designation (various kW steps) then they were only bothered that the machine was insured.

Regarding interstate travel, here in europe (not the EU, the wider continent) 'visitor rights' apply whereby if it is legal in your own country, then it is legal for temporary visits. The only exception there is the German plod, who take exception to extremely modified vehicles - which they will prohibit on the spot if it doesnt comply with local laws.

Very interesting how the Niken operates in an unusual gray space legally. 

So I take it Germany  might  take issue with the following? 😃

beozqdbfdn5agzynwsgm.png

Ah, car meets and car clubs. We love ‘em! The procession of car...

It is amazing what is allowed and enforced in some parts of the US far as modifications. But I'm sure the US isn't the only place to lay claim to bold customizations...

2019 Niken GT

19 minutes ago, maximNikenGT said:

Very interesting how the Niken operates in an unusual gray space legally. 

So I take it the Germany  might  take issue with the following?

beozqdbfdn5agzynwsgm.png

Ah, car meets and car clubs. We love ‘em! The procession of car...

It is amazing what is allowed and enforced in some parts of the US far as modifications. But I'm sure the US isn't the only place to lay claim to bold customizations...

20190517-Stance-Cars-Seized.jpg?quality=

Despite the cars being registered in a different country, the Polizei deemed...

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
  • Supporting Member

Quote...

" Yamaha unveiled the 2021 MT-09 which featured subtle styling enhancements, and of course, a revised engine. Now bumped up by 42 cubes, the 889cc tripe is now rated for 117.4 horsepower and 68.6 ft-lbs of torque. This puts the new MT-09 rather close to the upper reaches of naked bike performance. After all, the MT-09 is known for its snatchy throttle and ridiculous power delivery. How do third-gear wheelies sound?

Now, given the updates to the MT-09, is it safe to assume that the Niken, and the more recent Niken GT will be bestowed the same updates as far as performance is concerned? Well the answer is most likely yes. Although Yamaha has yet to confirm an updated version of the Niken, chances are that if they want to continue selling the model across several markets, they're going to have to update the bike to conform to Euro 5 standards. Would you like to see an updated Niken and Niken GT?    "

________________________________________________________________________________________

I so want a Niken GT but the miser in me won't let me take a financial hit on my 1100 mile 2017 FJ-09 with about 2K in farkles. Luckily I picked her up with 3 miles on the clock for $8500, so I'm still below list.

So I'm wondering if Yamaha is done with the Niken or will it be available in a few years? The negatives I've read about the Niken (more weight/lower power etc) would not impact my riding style. I read where some have had excessive corrosion in wetter climates. Comments appreciated.

• Supporting Member
On 5/16/2021 at 9:53 PM, Heli ATP said:

Quote...

" Yamaha unveiled the 2021 MT-09 which featured subtle styling enhancements, and of course, a revised engine. Now bumped up by 42 cubes, the 889cc tripe is now rated for 117.4 horsepower and 68.6 ft-lbs of torque. This puts the new MT-09 rather close to the upper reaches of naked bike performance. After all, the MT-09 is known for its snatchy throttle and ridiculous power delivery. How do third-gear wheelies sound?

Now, given the updates to the MT-09, is it safe to assume that the Niken, and the more recent Niken GT will be bestowed the same updates as far as performance is concerned? Well the answer is most likely yes. Although Yamaha has yet to confirm an updated version of the Niken, chances are that if they want to continue selling the model across several markets, they're going to have to update the bike to conform to Euro 5 standards. Would you like to see an updated Niken and Niken GT?    "

________________________________________________________________________________________

I so want a Niken GT but the miser in me won't let me take a financial hit on my 1100 mile 2017 FJ-09 with about 2K in farkles. Luckily I picked her up with 3 miles on the clock for $8500, so I'm still below list.

So I'm wondering if Yamaha is done with the Niken or will it be available in a few years? The negatives I've read about the Niken (more weight/lower power etc) would not impact my riding style. I read where some have had excessive corrosion in wetter climates. Comments appreciated.

I'm not sure that it will be available in the US in a few years especially since there are zero reports of any 2020  model year Nikens in the US. I've heard the same regarding corrosion issues but so far I  don't see any corrosion issues. 

2019 Niken GT

• 6 months later...
  • Supporting Member

What would it take to upgrade a Niken to a Niken GT?
Im guessing the taller windscreen, center stand and heated grips are straight forward. Can the stock side and top cases mounting hardware from the GT be added to the base model? Is the comfort seat taller? What else would be needed?

• Supporting Member
On 12/17/2021 at 8:34 PM, Heli ATP said:

What would it take to upgrade a Niken to a Niken GT?
Im guessing the taller windscreen, center stand and heated grips are straight forward. Can the stock side and top cases mounting hardware from the GT be added to the base model? Is the comfort seat taller? What else would be needed?

Dual power ports, cruise control.. The panniers and mounting brackets for the non GT are different. Plus you would want the Givi hard cases that fit the non  GT Nikens since the soft panniers for the GT are neither waterproof not very secure from thieves.  

2019 Niken GT

• 4 weeks later...
  • Supporting Member
On 12/17/2021 at 10:27 PM, Heli ATP said:

Looks like the non GT has cruise control?

Comparisions

VERY interesting... if memory serves, specs for US 2018-2019s non-GTs do NOT have cruise control, but then I looked up the images from this Australian article and you can see that their 2019 Niken DOES have cruise control. 

One of the key reasons I bought my GT was because a non-GT version supposedly did NOT have cruise control or heated grips. 

Review: 2019 Yamaha Niken and Niken GT - Bike Review

This article also showcases a Euro version 2019 Niken and confirms that theirs did indeed have cruise control.

2019 Yamaha Niken | First Ride Review | Rider Magazine 

Revzilla's first ride of the Niken also shows a Niken with cruise control, HOWEVER, it was during a Europe demo ride:

2018 Yamaha NIKEN first ride - RevZilla 

Makes me wonder if US specifications for 2018-2019 Nikens are deliberately downgraded without cruise control in comparison to Europe/Asia markets? Or if I was told/remembered this incorrectly?

Can anyone with a US non-GT Niken confirm whether you have cruise control? 

Edited by maximNikenGT

2019 Niken GT

• Supporting Member

Incidentally, the only ones that officially make hard cases for the Niken GT are out of Spain by SHAD.

Oddly, Givi makes a mounting kit for the non-GT Nikens but does NOT make one that officially fits the Niken GT (I even confirmed this by calling Givi of North America located in South Carolina). The mounting kit for the non-GT supposedly does not fit the GT version because of the larger passenger grab handles. 

However I have seen on Facebook an owner out of Italy who was able to mount Givi V37 saddlebags to their GT but I'm not entirely clear whether it was with modifications to the Givi non-GT mounting kit or if it was custom fabricated for them (since that owner has quite a bit of customization to his GT). 

2019 Niken GT