Jump to content
yamtracergaz

2017 model tracer seat

Recommended Posts

Hi,I have only had my very low mileage tracer a few weeks and i bought it for doing distance on BUT it has the most uncomfortable seat iv'e ever had on a bike,my other bike [mt10] i bought a comfort seat for it and have gone from 80 miles to 400 mile days,so i asked the dealer if i can get a seat for the tracer and they have been discontinued already bike is only 3 yrs old,so i wondered if the 1 piece seat from the mt09 would fit as you can still buy a comfort one for them,i could always get my seat done with a gel insert but they want close to £300 for rider and pillion,anybody found a solution please over here in the uk or has a dealer in the U S still got one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Get a wee sheepskin pad, throw it on when you are going more than a few miles. Cheap and super effective. I did 300 miles the other day with zero numb buttox.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi @yamtracergaz, the one piece MT09 seat is a very different shape so won’t fit. Also, my recollection from threads on here is that the Yamaha comfort seat is at best a minimal improvement.

I tried getting the standard seat modified with a gel insert and it was no better. I ended up getting a Bagster seat and propping up the front of the tank slightly with washers (there was a recent thread on how to do this). It’s an improvement, but standing up on the pegs and shifting your riding position regularly is a much cheaper solution.

  • Thumbsup 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, yamtracergaz said:

Hi,I have only had my very low mileage tracer a few weeks and i bought it for doing distance on BUT it has the most uncomfortable seat iv'e ever had on a bike,my other bike [mt10] i bought a comfort seat for it and have gone from 80 miles to 400 mile days,so i asked the dealer if i can get a seat for the tracer and they have been discontinued already bike is only 3 yrs old,so i wondered if the 1 piece seat from the mt09 would fit as you can still buy a comfort one for them,i could always get my seat done with a gel insert but they want close to £300 for rider and pillion,anybody found a solution please over here in the uk or has a dealer in the U S still got one.

Gel or memory foam is overrated and not designed for that job, but they sound great don’t they ? I won’t go into that now though. The comfort seat is also pretty crap (Gel) so don’t bother. Sooo. Find a back street furniture upholsterer. Get him to pull out the staples to remove vinyl, and cover existing foam with a 5mm piece of firm blue foam ( they use a tacky spray glue so can be removed) and re staple cover on. Soft foam would seem the obvious choice, but firm works better. Should be about £40.00.  If you weren’t so far up north you could pop round and I’ll do it for you. Other than that, as Stew mentioned, a sheepskin cover does work very well, but don’t ride around near Welsh pubs at kicking out time. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Corbin seats - I bought one for my original FJ-09, and another when I got my new Tracer 900 GT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is another option I tried. An air pad made by Airhawk USA and now similar and cheaper by Tourtec. Although ironically the Chinese ones on EBay looked the same as Toutecs but 1/3 price. So, for £20 it might be worth trying the Chinese one. I let pretty much all the air out. It works, but when you brake it kinda shifts the air backwards and a bit odd, you don’t have that planted feeling. I used a standard seat for thrashing around, firm is better for that, and clipped the pad on for longer journeys when I wanted a bit of comfort. 

  • Thumbsup 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jdavis said:

Get a 'Top Sellerie' from France. I can't recommend them highly enough.

20200310-Resized_20200310_121214.jpeg

Interesting, not seen these before. Does the riders seat tip you forward ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tripletrouble said:

Interesting, not seen these before. Does the riders seat tip you forward ? 

@Tripletrouble, the seat rises slightly at the front, the pic has the bike on the centre stand, so looks fwd sloping.

Top Selerie, is close to Bagster in quality.

Edited by jdavis
  • Thumbsup 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Tripletrouble said:

There is another option I tried. An air pad made by Airhawk USA and now similar and cheaper by Tourtec. Although ironically the Chinese ones on EBay looked the same as Toutecs but 1/3 price. So, for £20 it might be worth trying the Chinese one. I let pretty much all the air out. It works, but when you brake it kinda shifts the air backwards and a bit odd, you don’t have that planted feeling. I used a standard seat for thrashing around, firm is better for that, and clipped the pad on for longer journeys when I wanted a bit of comfort. 

 The same experience for me: a weird, wobbly, disconnected feeling with an airhawk, even when almost fully deflated. I might try it again for longer journeys, but I’m rarely on motorways for long, preferring to take longer to get somewhere and enjoy twistier roads.

  • Like 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×