$30 battery - OK?

spirymi

Hey, 

New in US, just bought 2015 FJ-09, battery seems to be almost dead. Not always start from first attempt, and sounds like it doesn't have enough power. Checked Amazon - many options in $30 price range, e.g. Amazon. In my home country it was much more expensive. Do you guys tried something like this one? Does it really work? Just one year would be enough, I don't expect 5 years longevity 

Edited by spirymi

I would be very hesitant to put a thirty dollar battery in my bike.  They had to cut corners somewhere in order to make it so cheaply and if it fails while you are far from home you will regret not getting something better.  

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

• Premium Member

Check a local auto parts stores.  Some carry batteries from reputable brands that will fit motorcycles.  If you are in or near a major city, check www.cyclegear.com.  But a quick Google Search shows reputable battery companies charging $100+

9 hours ago, spirymi said:

Hey, 

New in US, just bought 2015 FJ-09, battery seems to be almost dead. Not always start from first attempt, and sounds like it doesn't have enough power. Checked Amazon - many options in $30 price range, e.g. Amazon. In my home country it was much more expensive. Do you guys tried something like this one? Does it really work? Just one year would be enough, I don't expect 5 years longevity 

This is what I run in my bikes, scooters, lawn equipment.

s-l400.jpg

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for...

I have used this company for years with good results. I also use a Battery Tender on all my equipment. Even my Tacoma truck. I have a company car so my truck gets cranked every 2 weekends and run for 12 minutes and then every 2 months I drive it the 48 miles around the lake to keep things moving that need to be moving. But both my bikes, my lawn tractor and my Tacoma have battery tenders on them. I change out my batteries every 4 years whether they need it or not. 

Edited by tktplz

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

• Premium Member

Yuasa YTZ10S factory activated from Amazon.com. It will be more expensive but Yuasa batteries are no brainers. 

Locally, I would buy https://www.autozone.com/miscellaneous-non-automotive/power-sport-battery/duralast-gtz10s-bsfp-group-btz10s-agm-power-sport-battery-190-cca/927227_0_0&searchText=Ytz10s from AutoZone. 

I've used these in various bikes for years, never a problem. I've got min. 5 years, up to 7 years out of them.

247x-sYTZ10S-Scorpion-12v-Sealed-Motorcy

This battery normally ships via USPS Priority mail, with expected* delivery...

The key to long life is a Battery Tender. That brand, not a copy. When you get your new battery, put it on the Tender till green.

Every time you park the bike plug it in.

Motorcycle charging systems are marginal at best. Small batteries and weak charging systems. Some bikes are not charging till 2k rpm or more, so at idle they are draining.

Edited by peteinpa
  • Thumbsup 1

33 minutes ago, peteinpa said:

I've used these in various bikes for years, never a problem. I've got min. 5 years, up to 7 years out of them.

247x-sYTZ10S-Scorpion-12v-Sealed-Motorcy

This battery normally ships via USPS Priority mail, with expected* delivery...

The key to long life is a Battery Tender. That brand, not a copy. When you get your new battery, put it on the Tender till green.

Every time you park the bike plug it in.

Motorcycle charging systems are marginal at best. Small batteries and weak charging systems. Some bikes are not charging till 2k rpm or more, so at idle they are draining.

something like that - amazon ? do i need 0.75A or 1.25A option? 

Battery Tender JR. 750 MA is fine. 

I even called them in Fl, asked about charging a car battery with only 750MA and they said get a bigger one. Did it any way, and it worked, just took days.

Between my retirement and covid, cars have been sitting a lot too.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

I guess I'll be the contrarian in this thread. I have a $26 battery in my FJ-09. I have used it since January 2020. It cranks just like the original battery. I was trying to justify the purchase of a lithium battery when I found this one. I decided to try it because of the low price. If it lasts at least two years then I'll probably get another when this one needs to be replaced.

I don't connect it to a battery tender. I did not connect the original battery to a tender either and it lasted 5 years.

The replacement Yamaha 850CC FJ-09, 2015-2017 Motorcycle...

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

• Supporting Member

Another option for you that someone here recommended about a year ago.  I haven't tried one myself.

The replacement Yamaha 850CC FJ-09, 2015-2017 Motorcycle battery is...

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***