$30 battery - OK?

spirymi

• Supporting Member
6 minutes ago, estell said:

I guess I'll be the contrarian in this thread. I have a $26 battery in my FJ-09. I have used it since January 2020. It cranks just like the original battery. I was trying to justify the purchase of a lithium battery when I found this one. I decided to try it because of the low price. If it lasts at least two years then I'll probably get another when this one needs to be replaced.

I don't connect it to a battery tender. I did not connect the original battery to a tender either and it lasted 5 years.

The replacement Yamaha 850CC FJ-09, 2015-2017 Motorcycle...

Ha- you beat me to it, I just posted the exact same battery.

As I posted, I personally haven't used this battery but glad to hear that it is working like oem for you. 👍

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

A $30 battery will probably be okay.  Batteries are commodity items.  In other words, the difference from one to the other is minimal.  Spending more money doesn't guarantee you'll get any more performance out of the more expensive battery than you'll get out of the far less expensive battery.

I recently replaced the battery in my bike.  I looked to see what the OEM battery was and the specs in CCA.  Then I did a search on that model of battery and the equivalent CCA.  Once I had some sources narrowed down, I looked to see what the customer ratings were.  That will give you a good idea of their quality.  I ended up buying a replacement battery for $50.

Same specs as OEM.  Great quality.  Starts up better than before.  I'm happy.

Chris

• Thanks 1

I bought a $35 scooter battery at a trackday because I was desperate. It runs my GSXR and Aprilia SXV without issue. Haven't tried it on the FJ yet though. Sorry I can't provide a link, I purchased in person and don't remember the make / model off the top of my head. 

'15 FJ09

32 minutes ago, daboo said:

In other words, the difference from one to the other is minimal.  Spending more money doesn't guarantee you'll get any more performance out of the more expensive battery than you'll get out of the far less expensive battery.

Yup, a plumber told me to buy the 6 year water heater. It has the same tank as the 12 year. It doesn't pay enough to have 2 different tanks. Batteries are pretty much lead plates and acid in a plastic container. Whatever battery you get it should be fine. I like others use a Battery Tender. The Jr model. 

• Thumbsup 1

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

• 1 month later...

Got a very noob question as afraid it short circuit my ecu or something.

i just bought a ctek 3.8 charger, there is a screw in connector(attached photo) that comes with it for plug and charge where needed. 

do i remove/install positive or negative terminal first. 

image.jpg

1 hour ago, WKE002 said:

Got a very noob question as afraid it short circuit my ecu or something.

i just bought a ctek 3.8 charger, there is a screw in connector(attached photo) that comes with it for plug and charge where needed. 

do i remove/install positive or negative terminal first. 

image.jpg

No real difference, the thought is if you remove the ground first, there's less of a chance accidentally shorting on something when removing the positive.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

Being TS wanted to share the experience: 

- bought $27 battery 

- was delivered fully charges (it took tender just 5 mins to stop blinking) 

- use for 2 months already, no issues. connect tender from time to time, just because my rides are too short 

I don't know whether it will last 12 or 36 months, but for now I like it and taking into account that I don't travel too far I think this was a right decision to buy it 

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

I depend on my bikes, and want them available and reliable all the time. I am also a frugal as the next guy. I normally stick to fully warrantied batteries and indeed, plug into a battery tender whenever parked at home in the garage. My batteries last at least 5 years, and as long as 7. A couple of my Battery Tenders are over 20 years old. Given the longevity of batteries and Battery Tenders, I think that I am using an inexpensive option, likely the most inexpensive option. As well, battery changes at longer intervals and proven reliability. It takes exactly 2 seconds to plug in the tender and only one second to unplug. Very little effort for such reliability and longevity.

It is comforting to see the little green Battery Tender lights in the garage announcing the eagerness of the bikes to unhook and hit the road.

I will note that if you buy at Batteries Plus store (batteries and Battery Tenders), you get a good price, a warranty, and a 10% discount on your next purchase. 

[I am not affiliated in any way with Batteries Plus-except as a satisfied customer]

• Thumbsup 1