Speedo

On 9/19/2020 at 8:58 AM, andre12a said:

Hi

I'm finding my speedo is giving me a reading quite a bit higher than it should. At 120kph, everyone else is sitting on 110. Is there an adjustment for this. 

cheers

Peter

You can get a speedo healer which will correct the issue. Some Suzuki ecus let you correct the difference but Yamaha doesn’t.

• Premium Member

Really weird. Since the speed input is the rear ABS ring, the rear tire should be the only variable. What rear tire and pressure are you running?

I find that at highway speeds (55-80mph, 90-130kph) my speedometer is high by 0-1mph compared to GPS, which is remarkably accurate. I run a Road 5 at 42psi (2.9 bar).

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, keithu said:

Really weird. Since the speed input is the rear ABS ring, the rear tire should be the only variable. What rear tire and pressure are you running?

I find that at highway speeds (55-80mph, 90-130kph) my speedometer is high by 0-1mph compared to GPS, which is remarkably accurate. I run a Road 5 at 42psi (2.9 bar).

I too run Road 5s (37psi rear) and my speedo reads high at around 8-9%  when compared to GPS.

It would seem that this 'anomaly' is different depending what version of machine you have in what part of the world.

Aus. and perhaps EU seem to have speedos that read high when compared to actual by around 5 to 10%.

I have heard anecdotally that the law here 'allows' you a 10% margin of error when you are in their radar sights.  This may explain why maybe??  And I have actually been through a few radars using my cruise control locked to my GPS speed and so far so good. 😏.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
38 minutes ago, dazzler24 said:

I too run Road 5s (37psi rear) and my speedo reads high at around 8-9%  when compared to GPS.

Same here; Canada.  The ABS ring solution looks good to me.

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Supporting Member
1 minute ago, knyte said:

The ABS ring solution looks good to me.

Yes, I thought so as well and is a simple solution that gets you in the 'ball park' as they say..... however, the electronic option - Healtech SpeedoHealer for example, is infinitely (finely) adjustable and can be readjusted as your tyre wears or you get different profile tyres.  That's if you don't mind playing in the wiring harness AND if you are pernickerty about these things of course. 🙂

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, keithu said:

A different regional calibration makes sense. What do other US owners see?

2015 FJ and I see about +2mph over the GPS reading, I have a 47 (+2) tooth rear sprocket but I don't think that makes a difference.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

I recently switched to a 44T (-1) rear sprocket but it didn't seem to affect speedometer accuracy vs. GPS. Perhaps the US speedo calibration is just more accurate than others.

USA! USA! USA!!!

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 1

• Supporting Member
11 minutes ago, keithu said:

I recently switched to a 44T (-1) rear sprocket but it didn't seem to affect speedometer accuracy vs. GPS

Yeah, I think it is totally based on the wheel sensors, regardless of gearing.

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

On 9/25/2020 at 7:12 AM, keithu said:

According to roadside speed monitors and other riders and drivers I am 10per cent over. To answer your question I have the stock tyres the bike is sold with and running rear at recommended 36psi.