Aftermarket chain tensioner FAILURE!!

RandyN

WARNING! Failure!! This adjuster failed!! I did this review 6 months ago and thought all was well. The problem with this type of adjuster is that it has to pull the axle backwards where as the stock adjuster pushes it backwards. The adjuster has a hollow bolt inside it that pulls assembly backwards and this broke. That allowed the axle to come forward and put TOO much slack in the chain. Avoid this type and stick with stock. Stock is a hassle to adjust but it can't fail the way these do.

Just got this chain tensioner from Amazon. It says it is for FZ09 and MT09 but in looking at those models swingarms, and a little measuring, I thought it would a very good chance it was the same as Tracer 900GT and it fit perfectly.

In mounting it you first have to tighten the 5mm allen screws that lock the section on that hooks over the very rear tip of swingarm.

I then loosened the small 2mm allen screws to then insert the big anchoring bolt through the gap as shown in photo #1. I put locktite on that bolt as it will hopefully never need to come apart.

After that just put in place(there is a left and right to it), and thread in large bolt to hold it still. I lightly tightened large bolt then tightened 2mm allen screws, which clamp down on large bolt a little, and then tightened large bolt the rest of the way. It's now locked in place. I put the axle back in, adjusted the chain with the 4mm allen screw at back, torque axle and we'll see how it holds up over time and use.

In the 4th photo it looks like the part of tensioner that hooks over rear of swingarm may rub against the ring that is against the sprocket when removing rear wheel, but I don't think it will be an issue. It clears it in rotation.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HN2B1DW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Edited by RandyN
Item reviewed FAILED!
  • Thumbsup 1

Actually I replaced chain and sprockets about 5000 miles ago and lube it every 500 to 1000 miles. Just dirty (I live on a gravel road) and I almost cleaned it before taking the photos but thought I'd just live with the armchair quarterbacks. I ride! If I need to replace it then I do.

• Thumbsup 6
  • Haha 1

These are modern o-ring chains most are running now. I hope you're being facetious. I carry a can of lube on the bike. I lube it when I think of it and it may be 300 miles it may be 1000 mile. What do I care? If it wears out in 20,000 miles vs. 25,000 miles it doesn't matter to me I'll replace it. $160 for chain and sprockets. So what! I don't worry about the small amounts I have to pay for the pleasure.

• Thumbsup 6
  • Like 1

Back on topic.....

How easy is it to read the alignment marks @RandyN? The axle looks to have covered the vertical line, but I’m guessing it’s just the angle of the photo.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

14 hours ago, TheBigG said:

whaaat? You wait up to 1000 miles until you lube your chain? I do it every 200 miles 😆

I'd be lubing it on each ride if I did it that often. Now if you ride about 200 miles a week to work and back yes. 

Or were you being sarcastic?????

Edited by tktplz

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

1 hour ago, tktplz said:

I'd be lubing it on each ride if I did it that often. Now if you ride about 200 miles a week to work and back yes. 

Or were you being sarcastic?????

No! No sarcasm. I ride to the work almost every day, 30 miles per day. 

On 9/19/2020 at 5:07 PM, TheBigG said:

whaaat? You wait up to 1000 miles until you lube your chain? I do it every 200 miles 😆

What? 200 miles?  I hired a teenage kid from the neighborhood to follow me on every ride so he can do clean and lube the chain every time I stop. Even red lights. 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 4

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

2 hours ago, RandyN said:

Read my original post. I've edited this because item failed. Please reconsider using this type.

Randy, So it was the adjuster nut that broke? The nut that you turn to adjust the tension of the chain?