Aftermarket chain tensioner FAILURE!!

RandyN

2 hours ago, keithu said:

No sign of corrosion on the axle? Titanium is more anodic than any of the alloys typically used in an axle, so galvanic corrosion of the axle might occur. 

Not even a hint of that, in 12 years of use. That said, Pro-Bolt includes a little tube of a copper-based anti-seize that you place on the threads close to the swingarm - I was pretty diligent about using that. 

That Gillies unit looks mighty fine... I would have to lose my killer Titanium adjusters, but could still use the Titanium axle nut, so that has appeal.  😁

AND.... looks like Gillies likes to use their Titanium Axle nut, too, so I'm thinking if there was any potential issue there, they would not offer it:

• Premium Member
30 minutes ago, Warchild said:

Not even a hint of that, in 12 years of use. That said, Pro-Bolt includes a little tube of a copper-based anti-seize that you place on the threads close to the swingarm - I was pretty diligent about using that. 

Yep, anti-seize should do it. The copper becomes the cathode and protects the steel axle from galvanic corrosion. Anyone who gets the titanium axle nut will want to be equally diligent with the anti-seize compound. 

I'm a little surprised by OP saying the adjustor bolt broke and the axel moved causing the chain to loosen.  I would have thought the clamping force from the axel nut would have prevented the axel from moving.  

Looks like I've got to get some titanium parts for my bike!  Love those gold carrier bolts.

Not going to post a pic of my chain :-)

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
On 4/11/2021 at 10:19 AM, Warchild said:

Unless I am willing to send the major $$$ that a proper Gilles setup would cost, I am sticking with the stock adjusters.

(A)  The Gilles Tooling stuff really isn’t that expensive, and (B) it looks awesome with the Ti axle nut.  

286F8B24-583C-41C9-B0D8-7EA54061B51E.thumb.jpeg.fcca81008017af1aab0a4804c4bf683f.jpeg

(I’ll always encourage someone else to buy cool moto-stuff...) :D