Spark plug colour

Tripletrouble

Pulled plugs just for a check, 2 look a little lean, especially middle one ? In first pic, I would say far left was what I was looking for ? Also, they also seem to be a bit darker on one side of porcelain, whiter on other which is a bit weird. What do you think ? 

20200920_115538.jpg

20200920_115521.jpg

Edited by Tripletrouble

I agree that the one on the left gives the best "traditional" tan color, the others on the lean side. But modern motorcycles are not traditional - and your lean plugs look more like mine ;'

I was happy with these when I changed them this month (11,000 miles) - performance was normal, economy very good (50+ mpg, but I ride conservatively). Incidentally, I changed them because I was dealing with a different problem and since I'd gone to the trouble of removing tank and all the tupperware, it just made sense to do it now and not go through that again. 

Original plugs.jpg

• Thumbsup 2

Phew. If it was a carb bike I’d be worried, guess that’s what I’m used to. It runs fine, just checked synch, so pulled as they were accessible. Gap was spot on so going to leave. Thanks for feedback. As an aside, so many pull tank off etc.for plugs, I’ve always taken off radiator on other bikes, looks like you could do same on this bike ? 

Edited by Tripletrouble

6 hours ago, skipperT said:

Look good to me. Is your bike flashed? I’d guess yes, because my plugs and most that I see are much leaner looking than yours. Looks like it’s fueling is good.

-skip

Thanks, that’s a relief. BTW. not flashed, but de cat Scorpion serkit exhaust fitted with baffle left in. Seemed to be a bit smoother on throttle after fitted. I don’t mind snatchy throttle, just adapted to it. It makes me appreciate my carb CBR more though..

Edited by Tripletrouble
  • Thumbsup 1

@Tripletrouble, you can definitely get the spark plugs out with the tank on, by removing or tilting the radiator down. That’s how I did mine when I had the exhaust off.

I have the same exhaust as you and felt it ran oddly, as if the fuelling was off, hesitant at some revs etc. I ended up getting the ECU flashed as a conversation with the tuner highlighted that he had been in touch with Scorpion about how bad the fuelling was after fitting. He thinks they can claim it doesn’t need a flash as it is “okay” unmapped, but is far from optimal.

Another thought from conversation on here is that we think ECU maps are designed for the baffles being out, so if you go down that route, modifying the baffle can help.

• Thumbsup 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

Pulling the rad makes it totally do-able - I just find it easier to get the pair hoses and valve out of the way so I can fight the tightness of the coil packs more easily - plus I’m usually doing a sync at the same time. Draining and removing the rad is easiest for cam removal IMHO. 

getting the ECM flashed may make a huge difference in certain fueling vs throttle position. As BBB mentioned, just because they say “it will work” doesn’t mean the mapping will be spot on in every position. Those spots in the fuel map could be exactly what you are feeling, even though spark plug color is good. 

-Skip

• Thumbsup 1

13 hours ago, BBB said:

@Tripletrouble, you can definitely get the spark plugs out with the tank on, by removing or tilting the radiator down. That’s how I did mine when I had the exhaust off.

I have the same exhaust as you and felt it ran oddly, as if the fuelling was off, hesitant at some revs etc. I ended up getting the ECU flashed as a conversation with the tuner highlighted that he had been in touch with Scorpion about how bad the fuelling was after fitting. He thinks they can claim it doesn’t need a flash as it is “okay” unmapped, but is far from optimal.

Another thought from conversation on here is that we think ECU maps are designed for the baffles being out, so if you go down that route, modifying the baffle can help.

Thanks for confirming about tank on.Thinking about it, if your changing plugs I suppose you might as well take tank off and do a TBS. Regarding Ecu flash. I like the old power commander route where you could alter and tweak easily if it wasn’t working out as you wanted. A one off flash has me a little hesitant. Mapped for No baffle, which is better for performance, but I’m over the loud exhaust thing. With baffle the carbon can sounds spot on for me, although I read your drilling mod, I might try that. I agree, I took Scorpions ‘Dyno tested’ no need to re map with a pinch of salt, it’s pretty much the same can for a wide spread of bikes, although they make it sound if it was designed specifically for  one bike. It’s only the link pipe that’s different. However, it’s a great package, so not knocking them. BTW. Who was your tuner ? 

Edited by Tripletrouble

It was STec performance @Tripletrouble. It was the same guy who did @captainscarlet. However, he was planning to move to France when I got mine done so he may have done that. He used Woolwich maps. I have his contact details if you want to try him?

• Thumbsup 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)