Niken GT night riding observations

maximNikenGT

• Supporting Member
On 9/25/2020 at 9:38 AM, MrFritz86 said:

Electronically speaking, brown / white / red are positive, black/ blue /green are ground/negative 
Then there are mixed colors (or numbered wires) to be distinguished 

Also buy a service book, that will help you a lot with the wiring diagrams, other stuff as well

Got it. Brown is live - tapped into it this weekend after I got the positaps in the mail. Good news is that the power distribution module works. Bad news is that the Aurora power distribution module is a little too thick. So much so that my stock seat won't seat correctly as a result. Have to figure out a new place to mount the Aurora and rerun all the cables again. Almost there!

D74388DD-4AFA-4D28-990B-CBD232B877CE.jpeg

B5AEBE90-DA88-423E-9EAA-8AD460BE86A0.jpeg

E3042AFF-DCC1-4B3D-9511-76224D859B0F.jpeg

• Like 1

2019 Niken GT
"Motorcycles - the brand is not important, the fact that you ride is."

1 hour ago, maximNikenGT said:

That looks so much better than stock. I didn't know you could get one flood one driving light configuration - did you specify that during  ordering?

The kit comes with interchangeable lenses, you can either do both spot or flood. I chose whatever they call hybrid with mixed lenses.

And yes it really looks much better, it gave me much more confidence in both night and day riding.

Maybe would have been better the D2 instead of DM. But I'm still happy with these.

• Thumbsup 1

You live more in five minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all their entire life. "Marco Simoncelli" - Yamaha Tracer 900 '19 - Honda CB650R '19

• 4 weeks later...
  • Supporting Member

Took the bike out for a short 50 mile ride tonight. Noticed a few other items. I'm 5'11" and while the stock position is comfortable, if I scooted back into my seat about an inch or so, the butt comfort went up another level while placing additional stress on my wrists. First thought was a set of Rox Speed handlebar risers to make the upright seating position even more so to take advantage of additional seat geometry comfort. 

the other thing I noticed is that even if I get engine guards, the position of any auxiliary lights mounted on them would probably throw a pretty big shadow onto the forks. When I attempted to figure out any kind of mounting position for auxiliary lights, it looked like the only places were either down low by the front wheel fender bolts for smallish auxiliary lights, or possibly up on the front pair of shock tubes. The concern with mounting on the shock tubes is that during hard cornering, there's a higher likelihood of bumping into the lights with the upper shroud. 

Ideally, if someone were to make a custom mount that would leverage the two bolts that secure the side view mirrors, then this would probably be the ideal location for a set of auxiliary lights if I could forge a specialized bracket of some sort. 

2019 Niken GT

• Supporting Member
On 10/21/2020 at 1:21 AM, maximNikenGT said:

Took the bike out for a short 50 mile ride tonight. Noticed a few other items. I'm 5'11" and while the stock position is comfortable, if I scooted back into my seat about an inch or so, the butt comfort went up another level while placing additional stress on my wrists.

Loan you bike to Corbin and get a free seat. They need a Niken. 🏍️

2020_corbin_logo.png

Get Free Stuff! As much as we'd like to, we can't buy every new bike that...

• Haha 1

• Supporting Member
35 minutes ago, Heli ATP said:

Loan you bike to Corbin and get a free seat. They need a Niken. 🏍️

2020_corbin_logo.png

Get Free Stuff! As much as we'd like to, we can't buy every new bike that...

Thanks for the heads up. Only 2634 miles and 39 hours of riding required.  Hmm....I was looking for a reason to qualify for Iron Butt membership. 

2019 Niken GT

• 4 weeks later...
  • Supporting Member
On 9/22/2020 at 12:31 AM, betoney said:

Common issue even as far back as the first year FJ, the 12v socket routinely lost connection with my GPS.  Its really easy to hardwire the GPS to the key-on auxiliary circuit and never have to worry about it again.  I ended up disconnecting the power from my 12v socket and using it for something else.

Rated 4.6/5. Low prices, reviews, videos and more for the Garmin USB...

Does your bike have two 12v sockets? The Niken GT does. Am trying to figure out what to do with them since I don't trust them enough to keep a strong connection with 12v connectors while in motion. 

2019 Niken GT

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, maximNikenGT said:

Does your bike have two 12v sockets? The Niken GT does. Am trying to figure out what to do with them since I don't trust them enough to keep a strong connection with 12v connectors while in motion. 

The FJ's and Tracers come with one 12v socket on the left and a blank cap on the right where a 2nd one can be added.  I don't use mine anymore, I cut the wiring off the back and spliced it into a USB charger mounted on the handlebar.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supporting Member
On 9/22/2020 at 1:09 PM, BBB said:

@maximNikenGT, lots of info in here about the spare connectors under the windshield. I’m guessing they are there on the Niken too.

I replaced the cigarette lighter adaptor completely, with a dual USB outlet that had a volt meter display in between the two outlets. There are a myriad of these on ebay.

Super helpful link here. Thank you!

2019 Niken GT

• 2 years later...
  • Supporting Member

Anyone attempted using LED cornering lights from a FJ1300 or Tracer 9 GT into the Niken? I know Yamaha has the tech - just not sure how hard it would be to make it work with the Niken or if the front end cowling will even fit the new cornering lights or if the IMU will even work correctly with an LED from another Yamaha model

2019 Niken GT