Flashed ECU Check Engine Light

Vacant Planets

Hello! I recently had my 2019 Tracer 900 ecu reflashed by 2wheeldynoworks. I received my ecu and reinstalled it into my bike. I reassembled all the fairings and started her up. I immediately noticed that the check engine light was on and it did not go away after riding the bike for a short while. I have a Black Widow full exhaust system and a K&N performance air filter installed. I told them about those modifications when I sent in my ecu. I also noticed an extreme amount of popping/backfiring even after installing the reflashed ecu.

I’m not exactly sure how to troubleshoot this issue without taking the bike apart again. Any advice would be appreciated. 

I’m not an expert, but my understanding is that it is common for an ECU flash to turn off the AIS system. Air Induction System allows extra air into the mix when you decelerate, to dilute the otherwise unburnt fuel. If AIS  is switched off, the the unburnt fuel can cause backfires in aftermarket exhausts.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

24 minutes ago, Vacant Planets said:

Would turning off the AIS system turn the check engine light on? That’s my biggest concern. 

Not to my knowledge. I unplugged mine before I had the flash installed, using this kit.

s-l400.jpg

<p> The AIS Valve Removal kit by SmartMoto will let you remove the AIS...

You’ll see that it has a wiring plug adapter, but I thought it was just to cover up the empty socket. 

The only things I can suggest are:

- remove and refit the ECU in case you didn’t quite get the wirings connectors seated properly

- ask your ECU flash  vendor to confirm AIS is off and that it shouldn’t throw an engine check light.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

I've just had my bike flashed.

When you first turn the ignition on after reinstalling the ecu the engine light comes on. You then need to clear the fault code with a code reader. The engine light shouldn't reappear again. 

I had mine flashed with the AIS turned off so less popping on overrun.

Edited by CountP
Typo
  • Thumbsup 1

7 minutes ago, CountP said:

And this helps the OP how?

My first attempt would be to get the error code cleared and see if it reappears.

My first attempt would be a phone call to the tuner as to why it threw a code since it is not normal.
This is how it helps the OP, because it's not standard.
You will fit in well here, welcome to the internet.

I recently had my 2019 XSR900 flashed by a vendor on the FZ-09.org forum called Vcyclenut. My flash included disabling the AIS system and i also installed the block off plates to insure absolutely NO AIR enters the system. Apparently this is still possible even after the AIS is disabled. He was very thorough and told me that the check engine light will come on at first startup and also told me how to clear it with a simple automotive type OBD2 code reader. You will need to purchase an adapter plug to connect the code reader to the 4 terminal square plug under your seat. I purchased mine from Amazon for like $25. Very simple to do and it worked for me just like he said it would. Here is the link to the adapter cable that i purchased.

• Thumbsup 1

2019 Tracer 900 GT. 2022 MT-09SP. 2002 Buell S3T Thunderbolt. 2016 FJ-09 SOLD. 2019 XSR900 SOLD.

2 hours ago, metallion said:

I recently had my 2019 XSR900 flashed by a vendor on the FZ-09.org forum called Vcyclenut. My flash included disabling the AIS system and i also installed the block off plates to insure absolutely NO AIR enters the system. Apparently this is still possible even after the AIS is disabled. He was very thorough and told me that the check engine light will come on at first startup and also told me how to clear it with a simple automotive type OBD2 code reader. You will need to purchase an adapter plug to connect the code reader to the 4 terminal square plug under your seat. I purchased mine from Amazon for like $25. Very simple to do and it worked for me just like he said it would. Here is the link to the adapter cable that i purchased.

Okay I’ll look into that. Thank you. 

After receiving and installing my flashed ECU from 2WDW, the engine light came on. After having my local shop clear the codes it hasn't been on since. My local shop guy says it's normal for that to throw codes (unless the flash is done while on the bike). You can take to a shop or dealer for them to remove the codes, or as suggested above getting your own code reader so you can clear the codes yourself. Unplugging and plugging back in wont clear the fault codes.

• Thumbsup 1