Starting out again after 17 years

PowerMalc

1 hour ago, PowerMalc said:

Thanks to you all for your replies.

I appreciate the friendliness of the views and thoughts being offered, it certainly seems a friendly forum.

Will get my new bike on 12th October, can't wait !

Now busy looking to add some additions, Heed crash bars, rad guard, axle protectors

Waiting for a new bike is worse than waiting for Santa when you are young.  Cant wait to hear how much you enjoy your first week on it. Your wallet is about to take a pounding :)

On 9/23/2020 at 11:14 PM, PowerMalc said:

My mate who reignited my desire for another bike has just got a new BMW S1000XR, not sure I will be able to keep up with him. !!

Welcome Malcolm, I'm sure everyone on this site will say fantastic choice of bike for your return. Don't think too much about keeping up with your mate just ride your own ride. and check out the U-tube clip  "YAMAHA TRACER900 VS BMW S1000XR" to see how it can be done. Not sure how you embed the video clip but someone else posted it on the site.

• 1 month later...

This is my second time to get back into motorcycles  I bought a Tracer GT because I was looking for something lighter, but when I rode it my reaction was Holey Crap this thing is fun.  You read that right, in the US all the dealers that had one would only let you ride it after you had bought it.  Enjoy the ride.

• Premium Member
On 9/23/2020 at 6:14 PM, PowerMalc said:

My mate who reignited my desire for another bike has just got a new BMW S1000XR, not sure I will be able to keep up with him. 

Any inline 4 engine is heavier, hotter and wider than the Tracer Triple.  You'll have more smiles per mile and maybe $6k more in your pocket.  Wise choice.

I have both the tracer and its bigger brother the mt10,i had a go on the Bmw xr1000 the thinking being its high and upright riding position like the tracer and the bhp of my mt10,so i could go down to 1 bike BUT the xr1000 was horrible the engine sounded like a bag of spanners and the heat it kicked out was horrendous,so sticking with both my yams.

On 11/7/2020 at 1:03 PM, yamtracergaz said:

I have both the tracer and its bigger brother the mt10,i had a go on the Bmw xr1000 the thinking being its high and upright riding position like the tracer and the bhp of my mt10,so i could go down to 1 bike BUT the xr1000 was horrible the engine sounded like a bag of spanners and the heat it kicked out was horrendous,so sticking with both my yams.

Was that demo from Wollaston?  I'll ask my friend mentioned above if he suffers from heat output from the engine on his 2019 XR or his previous S1000R.

I lived in Northampton for 34 years

It's been too cold for me to notice any heat coming from the engine on the couple of times I've been

out on the Tracer 🥶

Hi Powermalc,Yes it was a demo from wollaston,what's really good on our bikes are the heated grips,never thought i would get any as good as oxfords but the yam ones have settings in the 3 options and i had to turn them Down whilst out the other day,i am well impressed with them.