Crash bars

• Premium Member

bowlin01 - how difficult is it to remove the side panels with the  crash bars in front of the panels? (or do you have to take the crash bars off to remove these panels?)

And if you can tell, what would be the first part of the bike to touch ground if the bike falls to the side? It's hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like the side panels up front would hit first, and then maybe the engine cover just behind the crash bar. Or does the crash bar protect the engine cover. - thx

I went with a set that just covers the lower part of the bike around the engine, I wasn't very keen on the look of the full set of GIVI bars. Looking at the angle between the crash bars and the end of the handle bars it should keep all of the upper body work and tank clear of the ground. I got mine second hand and I believe they are Fehling bars but not 100% sure. I think there are other types out their that look very similar.

PC2.JPG

DSCN0091.JPG

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

I have the Hepco-Becker guards and would recommend against them. I haven't crashed so I don't know about protection. They seem very stout and should protect the bodywork, but I think the lower engine cases will still hit the ground. What I don't like:

• Removing and installing the side panel is difficult with these in place. 
  • The piece of flat steel with hexagonal holes serves no obvious purpose, and it blocks you from attaching accessories to the crash bars such as aux lights or highway pegs. Total form over function. Dumb.  

hepco-becker-engine-guard-yamaha-tracer-900_1.jpg

• Supporting Member

Here is another option.  I bought these for lower engine crash protection and like them alot, as a bonus I can stretch out my legs a bit and rest my feet flat on the bar going forward like a floor board, there is even enough room on the forward bobbin to extend my legs and rest my heels.

s-l400.jpg

They are simple to install and rely largely upon the existing mounting points...

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, betoney said:

Here is another option.  I bought these for lower engine crash protection and like them alot, as a bonus I can stretch out my legs a bit and rest my feet flat on the bar going forward like a floor board, there is even enough room on the forward bobbin to extend my legs and rest my heels.

s-l400.jpg

They are simple to install and rely largely upon the existing mounting points...

I like that. Is that dumb sticker easily removed? 

• Supporting Member
Just now, keithu said:

I like that. Is that dumb sticker easily removed? 

That is for their photo only, mine didn't come with stickers. 👍

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

17 hours ago, DavidS said:

bowlin01 - how difficult is it to remove the side panels with the  crash bars in front of the panels? (or do you have to take the crash bars off to remove these panels?)

And if you can tell, what would be the first part of the bike to touch ground if the bike falls to the side? It's hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like the side panels up front would hit first, and then maybe the engine cover just behind the crash bar. Or does the crash bar protect the engine cover. - thx

@DavidS I haven't had to remove the side [panels since I fitted the bars, so I can't answer the question.

I have unfortunatley #tested' the crash bars (low speed drop on the right hand side. No damage to the bike only grazed the crash bars and he rear number plate. So they work fine.

• Thumbsup 1

17 hours ago, betoney said:

s-l400.jpg

Now why I did not think of that, minimalist crash bar and used back my r&g slider... tks Betoney for sharing, will visit my custom made bar one of these days. 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hello All,

Going to get crash bars. Still undecided on which ones. I like the swmotech ones but they seem a bit costly. 

question: do these types of engine crash  bars protect our plastic stick side cases?

ty

• Premium Member

The Heed case guards (CG) are supposed to be higher quality than the Givi but driving lights don't appear to mount to them as well as the Givi.  More important than if the CG make it difficult to remove the front fairing side panels (which the Givi do NOT once you relax), is whether the left CG makes it difficult to remove the access plug opposite the crankshaft bolt, and ultimately turning the crankshaft during valve lash check / adjust!!!  The Givi does make it a bit of a PITA but a 14 mm ball end hex bit (with the end of the ball ground flat about 4 mm or so) the crank bolt access plug can be readily removed and threaded back in (use copper anti-seize paste on the threads), and a 3/8" drive ratchet and socket can rotate the crank readily.

When I evaluated the Givi CG before purchasing them, someone had posted pics of them damaged in a significant incident and the faired pretty well.  I also installed LED driving lights and highway pegs on mine that work very well.

PS, the Givi also permit accessing the clutch cover & assy and cam timing chain cover. 

20200815_132726.jpg

20200815_132813.jpg

20200815_132444.jpg

20200815_132829.jpg

20200815_132846.jpg

20210330_174744.jpg

20211031_124810.jpg

20211107_161750.jpg

20211107_162412.jpg