600 mile service cost

PowerMalc

Thanks for the replies and advice.

If you do your own 600 miles service does it invalidate warranty.

If not how will a prospective future buyer of your bike might possibly be turned off because it does not 

have an official Yamaha dealer stamp in the service book.

28 minutes ago, PowerMalc said:

Thanks for the replies and advice.

If you do your own 600 miles service does it invalidate warranty.

If not how will a prospective future buyer of your bike might possibly be turned off because it does not 

have an official Yamaha dealer stamp in the service book.

For a recent example of one instance in the US,, I recently traded in my ‘15 FJR A w/25k miles to a local long-time dealership. I had just completed its 2nd big service/checked valve clearances. The only thing I hadn’t done according to MamaYamas recommendations was to change the brake/clutch hoses.

They had performed the 600mile service (had 300 miles on it when I bought it), the rest was done by me/documented by a printed black&white photo of the odometer/accompanied by receipts for parts used, written description of service performed.

Only thing the service guys squawked was the Angel GTs that were about 40% worn.

They told me if I did the same w/my Tracer, warranty claims would never be an issue...

Bottom line is-either way really doesn’t affect market value, you could maybe make an argument with regard to making it harder/easier to actually “sell”...

Generally speaking in the US they are not allowed to invalidate a warranty d/t you doing your own work...  Catch is you need to document it.  IE keep your receipts on the materials and keep a log of when you did what.    *This is not legal advice, I am most certainly NOT a lawyer, etc. etc.*

Had the local shop do mine,  Est price was $280 US without the throttle sync, $430 ish with it.   Labor rate around here post covid at 125 an hr.  Found one place under that by a little, but they are scheduled 3 weeks to 2 mo out.

Edited by Danielblue
  • Thumbsup 1

Had the dealer do the 600 mile service 3 days after I bought the bike - had 620 miles on it.  They didn't stamp the manual as I don't have one yet - they are sending one.  I do have the receipt from the dealer describing what was done which is as good as a stamp.  Good advice on documenting the work.

Some bikes having the service done at the dealer matters more to a prospective buyer than others.  Think BMW buyers are much more sensitive to it than most.  I sent the dealer the service records for the BMW I traded in.  If you have a great dealer with a good service shop and don't mind spending the money then having the dealer do the service is good.  I don't know of a dealership in my area that I really trust.  Around here the good techs are at independent shops, dealers don't pay enough to keep good folks is what I hear.

Edited by PhotoAl

5 hours ago, Shizzle said:

I'm not sure I would do Full Synthetic at 600 miles. I did my first oil change with Yamalube at 200 miles and will probably wait until at least 1k miles to go full synthetic. I know, I know, another oil discussion.

Meh that's a very old wives tale......Ducati's, Aprilia, and BMW's come from the factory with synthetic as do many cars now. Your engine is most certainly broken in before 600 miles, and your bike was also "very likely" redlined at the factory on a dyno too. ;) The reason most Japanese bikes don't come with full synthetic comes down to cost, that and why dump out perfectly good expensive synthetic oil at 600 miles? :) 

18 minutes ago, Ride365 said:

Meh that's a very old wives tale......Ducati's, Aprilia, and BMW's come from the factory with synthetic as do many cars now. Your engine is most certainly broken in before 600 miles, and your bike was also "very likely" redlined at the factory on a dyno too. ;) The reason most Japanese bikes don't come with full synthetic comes down to cost, that and why dump out perfectly good expensive synthetic oil at 600 miles? :) 

I guess I'm an Old wife. Do what works for you

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Shizzle said:

I guess I'm an Old wife. Do what works for you

LOL wasn't referring to you by any means, but the good thing is that it will work for "everyone". So many myths and bad information/assumptions out there still about synthetic oil, the truth is that it has longer intervals, protects better at start up, longer/better film retention......and NO it's not more slippery. :) But yes sir do what works for you, but there is honestly zero reason to not switch to synthetic the day you bring your bike home. Some of the very worst advice we can be given is by a service person at a dealership, I do most of my wrenching but have a fantastic local independent shop as well. Hope you are enjoying your new steed as much as I am mine, have a feeling this is a keeper for a good long while.

My last bike (BMW F800GT) was maintained by the book by the dealership.  I think they used semisynthetic with 6,000 mile intervals.  Oil seemed to hold up and I never worried about it.  IMO best reason for 600 mile service is to get rid of any stuff in the oil, engine has bee run in at factory maybe, not sure about gearbox but over the first 600 miles (and longer as well) parts are wearing to fit each other.  Tolerances are much tighter, processes are better but not perfect.  In addition a good 600 mile service will catch other potential problems.   I run full synthetic and plan the have the second oil change soon (currently at 2,600 miles).  Synthetic oil has better high temperature tolerance and that is the big reason I use it.  I have done a lot of riding in temperatures above 90F.  On my way home rode 500 miles in one day with mostly interstate speeds and the temperature at 96F on a fully loaded bike.  IMO high quality synthetic oil is a precaution and I'm willing to spend the little bit extra for it.

• Thumbsup 1

• 4 weeks later...

The dealer quoted me $149 for 600 mile service.  I thought this was a little high until I saw some of the other quotes on here.  After this first service, I don't plan on bringing it back unless it's for warranty work.  For me, it's much less of a hassle to do the service myself than bringing it the 20 miles to my closest dealer and either waiting there or arranging a ride. The laws are such here that if you can document service (maintaining a log and saving receipts for parts), the manufacturer must honor the warranty or it must prove that service was not completed.  As an aside, I found a service manual on ebay for $13.  I think Yamaha wanted $89 for print or $79 1-year access to a digital manual.

• 5 months later...

My quote is $541 for first service with TBS done. My mechanic wanted $290 w/o TBS....jeezus, what did I get myself into???. I definitely have buyers remorse now but it's too late to dump it.

Edited by jamespz03

12 minutes ago, jamespz03 said:

My quote is $541 for first service with TBS done. My mechanic wanted $290 w/o TBS....jeezus, what did I get myself into???. I definitely have buyers remorse now but it's too late to dump it.

That is insane…..change the oil and filter—then ride it—- a lot. This is an easy bike to change oil……exposed, accessible filter and drain plug.  $12.00 oil filter and your choice of oil + 20 minutes of your time.  Ride 4000-6000 miles and repeat.

BTW, I have not synced the throttle bodies at 11,550 miles and it runs great.  I will sync them at some point.  I’ve checked the sync on my Super Tenere three times in 47,000 miles and they were spot on all three times.

Edited by whisperquiet
  • Thumbsup 2