Farkling the FJ 09 by rszk

Guest rszk

If you look closely they are mounted in different locations. We can also get those in Canada. Mine are mounted on the engine frame mount bolts.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well a few more items arrived today. Got my new Cardo G9x communicator, some 31mm cheek pads for the Shoei Neotec helmet, R & G racing rear hugger and fenda xtender.

Here are the fender photos:

EAF8936E-655F-4CD9-82EC-094A49180DF3_zpsketvgavq.jpg

18F48DFD-232B-4DE7-A6A2-8FB3E57B5B61_zpsdl7g2wrn.jpg

I mounted the Fenda xtender right on the bike. Just have to be real careful not to put the drill bit thru the tire!

Here is the R & G Racing hugger. There is still a bit of a gap where the hugger meets the swing arm, but I think it will prevent most of the road grime from hitting the shock and the top tail section.

C02A57F6-0CF5-4BF5-A614-22D33DACD339_zpstem7y7vj.jpg

6680CD82-2E35-48B4-BBBA-429FB7D4D69B_zpso5j9hfik.jpg

Sweet mods.  It was raining hard today, so...

I did the mirror extenders and fog lights today.  And put loctite on the wind screen adjusters!   :D
2015 Grey FJ09 with a few tweaks, 2007 HD Street Glide - Good Bike + Good Friends = Good Day.

Guest rszk
Hopefully get to burn the whole tire this season. Planning a multi-day ride with some friends to South Eastern BC in the Kootenays. Some world class riding roads there.

Fitted the same R&G hugger last week, im out on the bike tomorrow and the weather is turning rather moist apparently by mid afternoon, so I'll be able to test out its protective values !!  :-/

hotboot -  the chicken stripe's long gone on both tires.  Another weekend ride and I have a 600 mile service to do. The pics I used are in (Wessie's?) posts from the Cheap LED lights thread.  

Watch out for the little white plastic windshield adjuster spacers that drop free (unless the adjuster knobs are tightened down) when you pull the front cover behind the windshield to get at the wiring. Gravity will help you recover 'em.  :))  A little sticky grease on them will keep them in place when you put it back together.  Make sure to shrink tube the wiring to prevent rubbing damage and leave enough slack for the suspension to drop all the way and the bars to go lock to lock.

The internals are missing on the MT 090 2B connector. Install and use the original connector, or replace both sides and use the one in the posting.  Give yourself a couple of hours.  I did not install a separate switch; I used one of the accessory leads that went hot with the ignition on.
2015 Grey FJ09 with a few tweaks, 2007 HD Street Glide - Good Bike + Good Friends = Good Day.

Guest rszk
I have had the Ermax touring screen for approximately 900km now. For reference I am 5' 7" with 30 inch inseam. I am able to adjust the screen from low, mid to high height without issues and get full steering lock on it. I prefer the screen in high mode as this decreases wind noise the best compared to stock and also gives the best wind protection. I'm guessing that other owners of the Ermax screen that are having fitment issues with the handguards need to adjust either the handguard or most likely adjust the rotation of the handlebar so there is more clearance to the cut out on the side of the screen. The style of the screen was what initially drew me to the purchase of it.

Having said the positives, I do wish that the screen was even more quiet, as I still have to wear ear plugs when going out longer than 45 minute ride and especially at highway speeds over 60 mph or 100km/h. There is minor turbulence which at times causes helmet shake depending on wind direction. I'm wondering if the screen cut outs could be larger to deal with this issue?

I fully believe that a adjustable screen mounting system which gives more adjustability fore and aft and more height adjustability would give more riders the needed adjustment of the screen for different body structures, helmets, heights etc.

At this time it's a keeper until another solution presents itself as being superior in both style and function.

Guest rszk
Well I got my free 1000km service today and stayed with mineral oil until I get to 3000km, then I will switch to synthetic.  I also got the Yamaha Fog/driving lights in as well.  Here is the installation of the lights.
Bracket first, bolts are tucked in, but okay to access without removing anything:
FFA5325C-9E5E-4283-9967-DF2486018D0B_zpsuikkxzmv.jpg
helps with this funky screw driver to get the supports mounted a quarter turn at a time:
774EBA5D-F34A-472D-8FB1-61190874D175_zps8a0a6kge.jpg
Yamaha lights, but branded with SW-Motech!:
FF625E48-D1DA-47BD-AAAC-42512244BBA9_zpsoc0infis.jpg
Peeling off the layers to get to the wiring harness:
F3782CAE-334C-4D0B-B5C8-DE16337E0339_zps1uimh5on.jpg
14ADE6A6-1710-49A3-B6BE-060F6E25E81A_zpsdihbtszc.jpg
Installing the lights to the mount:
0F2F417C-02D0-4979-8EE7-AE95A2B7183A_zpss1jsnaao.jpg
D68477D6-EB65-4A12-A5FE-8A6EE3BFC202_zpsmbd29rlp.jpg
Wiring roughed in, test fire before heating up the supplied shrink tubing:
CA76A359-FB8F-4407-BF71-76B2F17C779F_zps304mtd91.jpg
Cleaning up and finalizing the wiring:
3152E3AD-2D2B-4A07-941D-DA1DE1D34F4F_zpszo897blv.jpg
F84A29A5-513B-47EB-9C03-3000612683B2_zpsgkul1q42.jpg
You can install the lights as per the manual like this, or you can put them closer together. I followed the manual.  On my Super Tenere they were closer together.
060231A9-E5CE-4F6E-89FD-9205F5D2F265_zpszhiimesn.jpg
C027CFC7-CD35-4116-BA17-D60CC4DA4644_zpsfvqlycnf.jpg
Cheers!

Guest lawrenceofsuburbia
Thanks a lot for this, rs - very helpful should I proceed!
Was [em]everything[/em] in the kit, including the h/bar switch?   Were full/ useful instructions also included?   It all looks very neat...
Thank you..
L of S

Guest rszk
Hi L of S! Yes everything is supplied, including heat shrink tubing and tie wraps. Excellent pictorial instructions too. Took me about 2.5 hours taking my time. Just need some basic tools.

Guest lawrenceofsuburbia
Thank you, rs! I may well proceed - have some Skenes on the way for the rear, and these would complement those and add to the conspicuity!
L of S

Re the vinyl wheel decals: the vendor website seems to say that one kit fits several wheel sizes. Can that be true? And, do they seem durable enough to still look good after tire changes, etc.?

Archived