Oil Filter

edgarjessop12

Hi Guys,

Just a heads up, do you all use Yamaha Genuine Oil Filters which are twice as much money as other makes.

After working for 25 years in a motorcycle shop I have always used genuine parts and told others to do so,

have I brainwashed myself. Looked at some of my Honda and Yamaha oil filters and in very small writing says Made in China !!!!!!!

Also have heard bad reports about K & N filters which I have also used.

I am in the UK and have been told just lately that Hi-Flow filters are as good as genuine.

Just hard to brake old habits  using genuine parts, but at 74 years old and doing more biking  miles as a pensioner , money is now always a bit tight.

Cheers  Edgar Jessop.

1 hour ago, Stew said:

Hiya @edgarjessop12  I've used hiflo oil filters loads of times over the years. Never had an issue with them. Multiple motorcycles , different configurations.
A good reliable brand.

Also used the Hi Flo filters . Like the welded on Nut like the K&N for easy removal . Had to have that on my ST 1300 Honda that had the filter hidden underneath and needed that nut to take off the filter and by chance the tracer takes the exact same filter. Nice !

MIKE

• Thumbsup 2

Have used lots of different filters over the years including K&N.  Never had a problem but more recently have been using OEM filters.  LOL bought three O&M filters and oil for my ZX6R, changed the oil once and then traded it!  Currently have two Yamaha filters for my Tracer GT, both made in Tailand.  One was $11.99 from the dealer I bought it from in South Dakota and the other was $14.99 from a local dealer!  Going to change oil soon and like to have a spare on hand.  Guess the difference is the local dealer doesn't have any snowmobiles to make money on so has to make it selling parts :-)  Will have to try some HiFlo's.  Interesting thing when talking about oil and filters my BMW F800GT had all the service done by the dealer - had a service contract.  Always changed the oil and filter at 6,000 miles and at the end of 26 months it had 31,000 miles on it and no problems.  Pretty sure it they used semi synthetic oil.  It ran good when I traded it so no lubrication related problems.  I usually change my oil sooner than recommended - it was always a pain with that bike I had to take it in and get it service before a long trip which sometimes meant had to take some quick long rides to get the milage up!  Doing my own service will just service when it needs it.  If going to be on a long trip will do it before I leave even if it's early.

• Thumbsup 1

Cheers everyone,

Getting a Hi-Flow filter, been in the trade so long and always used factory filters. Times do change.

And I have always been over the top with oil and filters. But still going to use Fully Synthetic Race Oil, have done for years, and No the clutch does not slip, all top racing teams use fully. Thanks again guys brilliant forum.  

Cheers Edgar Jessop.

• Thumbsup 1

• 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, whisperquiet said:

i always run OEM filters on a new motorcycle while still under warranty.  I will use OEM or HiFloFiltro filters when the motorcycle is out of warranty.

Not meaning to sound like a smart ass, but do you also run Yamaha oil in your GT or whatever other OEM oil for the particular bike you own at the time? 

Yes, I am running Yamalube 10-40 currently in my Tenere 700 that is currently under warranty.  I have never had a warranty claim on a new bike related to an oil or filter failure but figure the use of OEM will eliminate any questions if I do.

My Tracer GT and Super Tenere were both purchased used and are sporting HiFloFiltro oil filters and whatever brand spec oil I have on hand.

Edited by whisperquiet

• Premium Member

In the past I've used the Purolator PL14610 PureOne filter. It's a nearly ubiquitous filter used by about half of all motorcycles and many cars as well. It's $6 at many big box stores.

The only reason I don't use it on my FJ-09 is pure vanity; the Purolator is blue, and with the filter so exposed on the FJ I think it might looks silly. So I've been using OEM or HiFlow just because they're black. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

I just went out to the garage and looked at my motorcycle. With all the ridiculous crap I've installed - barn door windshield, huge lights, big red fuel tank, a cupholder - I can't believe I'm worried that a blue oil filter will make my bike look silly. 

So that's it, I'm switching to the Purolator filter at the next oil change. 

2020_0813_05550900.jpg

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2