Washing this bike stinks!

I just need to gripe-

Just washed my red FJ 09. I have to say, this bike is a pain in the butt to wash! Lots of nooks and crannies where bugs get stuck and so does the water when you're trying to dry it off! The wash mitt doesn't glide smoothly over large portions of the bike, really need to get in there with the fingertips and scrub.

Of course I'm now also aware of where all the fine scratches are starting to show up. Sigh. I guess it's not perfectly new anymore.

Thanks for listening.

-skip

S100, light rub where you can reach with a rag and a high pressure rinse gets mine clean as a whistle. I use compressed air to remove the water when done and shine everything with yamaha spray polish. Worse part is cleaning the chain. Maxima chain cleaner, grunge brush from my old MX days and more water clean that up as well. Yeah it's got a lot of funky angles and holes but I don't find it difficult to get clean at all. Years of cleaning dirt bikes that you could eat off of when done broke me on good cleaning habits and what products to use.

• Premium Member
Grey one is easy to clean, and no swirl marks. Just sayin...
If it doesn't show some dirt, you might as well not have even ridden it. 

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

I just need to gripe- 
Just washed my red FJ 09. I have to say, this bike is a pain in the butt to wash! Lots of nooks and crannies where bugs get stuck and so does the water when you're trying to dry it off!

The forward facing honeycomb panel recessed between and under the headlights is one of the most stupid styling accents I've ever seen. It's a single panel, I'll figure out a way to cover it next winter when I'm not riding. I'm not impressed with the honeycomb fake inlets on the sides on the fairing-to-gas-tank-liason panels either, but they won't fill up with as much bug guts and should be easier to clean.

That honeycomb crap is really my only complaint about this bike. I whine about that, but I still bought the bike.  8-)  I like the functional styling of the rest of the bike, especially the exhaust placement.

FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

• Premium Member
Those that met me and my bike yesterday won't be surprised by this comment, but bikes? You wash them? That's just weird.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Those that met me and my bike yesterday won't be surprised by this comment, but bikes? You wash them? That's just weird.

Lol. You guys offer some good and fun advice.

So S100 is the ticket eh?

I used the Honda bike wash. It's all the little crap that I feel should be easy to scrub off, and doesn't come off without a LOT of rubbing. That's what I find bothersome.

Oh and Wessie- I concur. Who's got time to wash when you're busy riding?

-s

Hondawash/hondabrite is just relabeled s100. I use it straight. Just don't let it sit for more then a couple minutes undiluted. And never let it sit long in direct sunlight. S100 products are really good and meant for bikes. 

I hardly ever use soap and water any more except after a long trip and I'll never use a power washer after blowing out all the grease in too many places. I use Yamaha's Spray polish and Instant detailer for the rear wheels and really dirty areas and Honda's Spray Cleaner & Polish for the everywhere else. There's newer stuff out there, when I run out I'll try it.
Yamadog
XS650H
XVZ1200
FJ1200

A buddy was telling me about Sinple Green for removing bug remains safely from the windscreen. Thoughts? 
S

Easiest way to clean a windshield. Get a nice heavyweight towel. A pot of HOT, nearly boiling water. Place towel in HOT water, get it soaking wet, then place onto windshield. Let sit 2 or 3 minutes. The bugs will literally hose off. Once windshield is dry apply a good plastic polish. (Makes it easier to clean next time). The hot water will allow you to get the bugs off without scrubbing and scratching your windscreen.

Archived