Cupholders on bike?

maximNikenGT

• Supporting Member

Has anyone installed a cupholder on their bike? Am trying to figure out where and how to mount a bottle holder to my bike to hold my Zojirushi thermal mug: 

105.2.jpg

The Stainless Mug keeps beverages hot or cold for hours with its high...

2019 Niken GT
"Motorcycles - the brand is not important, the fact that you ride is."

I use a similar approach to @betoney, as in nothing permanently attached. I use this pack, which has its own straps that quickly attach to the rear grab rails. I can fit a small gas stove and pot in there if I fancy a hot lunch or fresh coffee, or anything that fits in there. There are lots of good packs and gizmos from the bikepacking community that can be repurposed.

Acepac ▶ Compact solution for transporting your cooking equipment...

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• 2 weeks later...

Plus one on the RAM cupholder.  Put one on my BMW F800GT in late May for a long trip when food was drive thru only.  When you pull up to the drive thru and they hand you your large coke where do you put it?  In the cup holder of course, stash the burger between you abdomen and the tank bag and ride the 20 to 30 feet to a sparking space and eat lunch.  Started off keeping the cupholder in the tank bag but left it on after a day or two.  It saw rain, interstate speeds, back road speeds in empty western states and wind.  Don't normally have it mounted for short trips.  Many more opportunities for food now but still somewhat limited - LOL while waiting for my Tracer GT to have its 600 mile service in Sioux Falls I walked thru the drive thru at the nearby Burger King.  Felt odd standing between a van and a pickup truck but got my lunch.  Was disappointed they didn't comment about my In n Out Hamburgers California T-shirt.  A regular or large drink fits fine and is stable at speed although need a certain amount in the cup for stability and to keep it from blowing out.  In lower speed areas it is great, my AGV K6 shield opening is large enough I can bring out of a straw with just lifting the visor.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, PhotoAl said:

Plus one on the RAM cupholder.  Put one on my BMW F800GT in late May for a long trip when food was drive thru only.  When you pull up to the drive thru and they hand you your large coke where do you put it?  In the cup holder of course, stash the burger between you abdomen and the tank bag and ride the 20 to 30 feet to a sparking space and eat lunch.  Started off keeping the cupholder in the tank bag but left it on after a day or two.  It saw rain, interstate speeds, back road speeds in empty western states and wind.  Don't normally have it mounted for short trips.  Many more opportunities for food now but still somewhat limited - LOL while waiting for my Tracer GT to have its 600 mile service in Sioux Falls I walked thru the drive thru at the nearby Burger King.  Felt odd standing between a van and a pickup truck but got my lunch.  Was disappointed they didn't comment about my In n Out Hamburgers California T-shirt.  A regular or large drink fits fine and is stable at speed although need a certain amount in the cup for stability and to keep it from blowing out.  In lower speed areas it is great, my AGV K6 shield opening is large enough I can bring out of a straw with just lifting the visor.

Oddly in all my years of riding I've never gone through drive through on a motorcycle before until you just mentioned it. Not sure why the thought never occurred to me to attempt it. Ordering me a RAM cup holder to tick that one off the bucket list. 

2019 Niken GT

• Supporting Member

I didn't know RAM makes two sizes of cupholders - 16 and 32 oz. What size do you recommend? Will the 32 oz accommodate 16 oz cups?

2019 Niken GT

You absolutely, positively, want to go with the larger model if you're planning on carrying anything other than a 12oz soda can. The small one is too prone to tipping over when the center of gravity gets too high.

8 hours ago, maximNikenGT said:

I didn't know RAM makes two sizes of cupholders - 16 and 32 oz. What size do you recommend? Will the 32 oz accommodate 16 oz cups?

• Thumbsup 1