Where to source new sprockets and recommendations

• Supporting Member

Considering changing out the chain and sprockets on my 2015 Tracer.

Think I'll go for the DID 525 VX3 chain but was wondering if anyone had advice experience on sprocket selection and source here in AU.

I'm thinking keeping with the 16 tooth front sproket - (but dampened or undampened??) and changing to a 47 tooth rear sprocket (+2).

Any advice appreciated.

TIA

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

Considering changing out the chain and sprockets on my 2015 Tracer.

Think I'll go for the DID 525 VX3 chain but was wondering if anyone had advice experience on sprocket selection and source here in AU.

I'm thinking keeping with the 16 tooth front sproket - (but dampened or undampened??) and changing to a 47 tooth rear sprocket (+2).

Any advice appreciated.

TIA

I always use sprocket center for chain and sprockets.  They have a wide variety of sprocket sizes and will always send you the correct length chain for your sprocket selection.  Their Superlite sprockets are almost indestructible.  Except for the stock sprocket, I have never againused a dampened sprocket.

I use the same gearing that you mentioned, for my riding style the 16/47 brings the rpms into the optimum range.  I use it for twisty mountain and canyon roads as well as highway road trips, 5k rpms is right around 70mph 6k rpm's is about 85mph, which I am fine with.  I ride a lot of mountain passes with some steep grades and the quicker acceleration of the +2 rear sprocket makes switchbacks and steep climbs much easier and efficient.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
Just now, betoney said:

I always use sprocket center for chain and sprockets.  They have a wide variety of sprocket sizes and will always send you the correct length chain for your sprocket selection.  Their Superlite sprockets are almost indestructible.  Except for the stock sprocket, I have never again used a dampened sprocket.

I use the same gearing that you mentioned, for my riding style the 16/47 brings the rpm's into the optimum range.  I use it for twisty mountain and canyon roads as well as highway road trips, 5k rpm's is right around 70mph 6k rpm's is about 85mph, which I am fine with.  I ride a lot of mountain passes with some steep grades and the quicker acceleration of the +2 rear sprocket makes switchbacks and steep climbs much easier and efficient.

• Supporting Member
24 minutes ago, betoney said:

I always use sprocket center for chain and sprockets.  They have a wide variety of sprocket sizes and will always send you the correct length chain for your sprocket selection.  Their Superlite sprockets are almost indestructible.  Except for the stock sprocket, I have never againused a dampened sprocket.

I use the same gearing that you mentioned, for my riding style the 16/47 brings the rpms into the optimum range.  I use it for twisty mountain and canyon roads as well as highway road trips, 5k rpms is right around 70mph 6k rpm's is about 85mph, which I am fine with.  I ride a lot of mountain passes with some steep grades and the quicker acceleration of the +2 rear sprocket makes switchbacks and steep climbs much easier and efficient.

Thanks for that info.

I've had a look around at some sprockets available here and am having real trouble finding a 47 tooth compatible one for some reason.  JT sprockets have a range for the Tracer between 43 to 46 only and I didn't want to go down one tooth at the front.  46 might be OK I guess as a compromise but might have to source from O/S after all if I want a 47?

Cheers.

JT.thumb.JPG.f56befb59c551d219fcd3ddef111aeca.JPG

• Supporting Member
26 minutes ago, dazzler24 said:

Thanks for that info.

I've had a look around at some sprockets available here and am having real trouble finding a 47 tooth compatible one for some reason.  JT sprockets have a range for the Tracer between 43 to 46 only and I didn't want to go down one tooth at the front.  46 might be OK I guess as a compromise but might have to source from O/S after all if I want a 47?

Cheers.

These are available in 47.  The Superlite sprockets are AWESOME.

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, betoney said:

These are available in 47.  The Superlite sprockets are AWESOME.

Yes agreed.  The only caveat for me here in the land downunder is the cost of shipping which is why I was trying to find something locally (if possible!).  Cost of front and back sprocket from the sprocket center in the USA is US$78 and shipping is US$79 which all converts to a not so tasty AU$220 - so paying double the price but hey... maybe that's my options!

There is my address in Oregon that I could investigate as an alternative half way house for shipping fees I guess...... hmmm.

• Supporting Member
5 hours ago, jdavis said:

Thanks for the links John.

The 46 is fine and is in the pitch (525) I'm seeking as that's the chain that I've got coming.

The 47 is unfortunately in 520 pitch so won't work for me.

I've sent off an enquiry to Metal Gear to see if there is an option for a 47 in 525 so will let you know.

If not I think I'll opt for the 46.

I hadn't heard of Metal Gear before this so thanks for that info.  Just down the road too.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

@jdavis - looks like there is a 47 tooth available from ESJOT which is the brand Metal gear sells - but it's only in Aluminium!

Didn't think this would be so hard - to get locally.

image.thumb.png.b8c835042568c54ad2f1cf23ab6c3438.png

• Supporting Member

@jdavis - Metal Gear just got back to me and said that they can get it (47T) in the Aluminium only as per the ESJOT site and it would take "several months" to get in so looks like I'm getting a 46 toother in steel as it's a whole lot cheaper than buying in from O/S.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
10 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

@jdavis - looks like there is a 47 tooth available from ESJOT which is the brand Metal gear sells - but it's only in Aluminium!

I wouldn't use aluminum sprockets and expect decent longevity. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
8 minutes ago, betoney said:

I wouldn't use aluminum sprockets and expect decent longevity. 

I agree and I'm not.  I've got a 46 steel toother coming paired with a 16T front so should see at least some small change in the 'right' direction.

• Thumbsup 1