Cracked side panel

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
Discovered mine are cracked too, both sides. I have a grey Tracer.
Contacted a mate who has a blue Tracer and his are cracked too!!
Both bought at same dealer and expect warranty replacement of course
I have done less than 4000 miles, mate has done 12000 in a year.
Other than this no problems

• Premium Member
Checked mine today. Both cracked. 3800 miles on the bike. I got it March 1st. I'll get them replaced when I go in for the 4000 mile service sometime next week.

Let’s go Brandon

• 2 weeks later...
I wonder if the seat, when in the low position, is coming in contact with the panels and flexing them too much.

I think that is exactly what it is. I have since moved mine to the high position but both my panels are cracked too...
Might have to bug the dealer soon if I can be assed.

Hi,

We have a long thread on a french forum. And we "found" a solution. Some official dealer are also doing this modification.

The panel breaks because of the seat. So we remove some platic from both panels

image13.jpg

The thread is here. You may find more picture of the modification done by different people.

http://www.mt09.net/t5521-maladie-tracer-fissure-carenage

• Premium Member
As I said earlier I got my bike March 1st and both sides were cracked before I had 4000miles on it. I took it to my dealer and last week and they submitted my claim to Yamaha and Yamaha rejected it. From pictures emailed by my dealer Yamah has said that the cracks were caused by installing the pieces incorrectly. I pointed out that my bike is only 3 months old and that they (Yamaha) are the ones that installed the pieces when they manufactured the bike. The rep said that she would speek to the tech again and see what they can do. As of now they are denying my claim.

Let’s go Brandon

• Premium Member
Mine were not cracked yet, but only 500 miles on it so far. The seat pan definitely touches those parts through the seat covering. Here is a photo showing the wear mark over a rib in the pan:

Seat%20underside%20showing%20wear%20point.jpg

This photo shows how I filed a half-round notch in the fairing part, in order to prevent any possible future cracks:

Side%20fairing%20piece%20cut%20to%20clear%20seat.jpg

The notch is probably much deeper than it needs to be. As you can see it starts about 3/8" from the rear edge of the wall, and is about 5/8" wide. To be sure of where to file, you can mark the side of the seat with a piece of chalk, showing exactly where the wear mark is underneath, then put the seat in place and transfer the mark to the black plastic panel. Basically I've copied what was discovered on the French FJ-09 forum.

Pete

• Premium Member
After several calls back and forth Yamaha isn't going to replace my panels. Despite the fact that the panels haven't been removed they insist that they were cracked because they've been removed improperly. Their theory is that someone tried to take the panel off without removing the clearly visible bolt that holds the rear of the panel on....... which caused the panel to crack......someone forgot to remove the bolt and cracked the panel........ then went and did the same exact thing on the opposite side....,

Let’s go Brandon

• Premium Member
Just a heads up, Yamaha in the USA will not cover these problem pieces. My dealership is going to. With that being said and being a life long "Yamaha" guy I am extremely disappointed with Yamaha right now.

Let’s go Brandon

• 2 weeks later...
Does this tab on the cracked side panel serve a purpose? Is it just a space filler to cut down on water getting underneath? thinking about shaving a 1/4-3/8 off in a straight line across the top of the tab instead of 2 circular cuts.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Archived