Cracked side panel

Just did the spark plugs and added a backup clutch cable to my FJ. Saw that these plastics are cracked on my FJ, just like all of yours. I was disappointed to see them cracked, but kinda used to seeing random plastics just breaking on bikes. Didn't think to try to get put in a warranty claim

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
I had both sides changed last year under warranty, but noticed last week that the left side has cracked again and my dealer is going to look at it again tomorrow, the seat is on the lower setting I think is a bad design,
It is a bad design but the seat position doesn't matter. I believe squeezing the bike with your legs/knees causes the panel to flex against the mounting bolt, which over time causes the fracture. 

• Premium Member
With time on my hands now that it's miserable outside, checked again and indeed both sides are cracked. I have my seat in the lower setting BTW. Traced the pressure point on the underside of the seat (photo 1) to a polished piece of skirting on the panel (photo 2). From an earlier post I see that the replacement panel has that part of the skirting notched out. I will then fix the hairline cracks (can hardly tell unless flexed) with epoxy and notch out the skirting. For those who haven't experienced this yet, and plan on riding with the seat lowered... this is an easy fix. 

I suspect it occurs more in the low setting and my side panels appear to have been molding with relief (low) spots to preclude it from occurring.  Is that possible as mine is a 2016 (I'll double check)?  I always have it in the upper position.  BTW, To repair the crackbuy some IPS Weld-On 2354 (an ABS plastic coehisive solvent that "melts" the plastic so it bonds back to itself, welding it back together stronger than the original; rather than use epoxy which is an adhesive). 

I also hated how the front saddle rocked up and down in the back because it is substantially unsupported there except for the small area around the little peg that indexes in either the upper or lower position holes.  My Sargent saddle, given the pan is molded almost identically to OEM has the same issue.  So the other night I installed 90 durometer solid neoprene rubber blocks I cut, stacked and bonded in place with double-sided polyurethane foam tape to the needed heights and sizes.  So far, no more front saddle hobby-horsing.

20161120_190843.jpg20161120_190931.jpg20161120_190954.jpg20161120_191000.jpg20161120_191101.jpg

• Premium Member
I'll triple-check tomorrow but at least the Sargent saddle does not appear to impinge on the side panels in the upper position... 
20160812_190913.jpg

Grab your Dremel and grind out these spots. Never worry again. 

IMG_1393.jpg

Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

I'll triple-check tomorrow but at least the Sargent saddle does not appear to impinge on the side panels in the upper position... 

I just checked on my bike and the Sargent seat in the low position doesn't put pressure on the body panel. 

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

And if your local stores aren't quite sure about the term "cohesive solvent" you can always go ABS pipe cement mixed with dremel shavings from the notches :)
Not all the plastic is ABS.  The plastic is marked on the back side with letters.  If it is ABS, it will be noted so. 

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest autobiker
Mine were cracked on both sides. I fixed them with good 'ol cyanoacrylate glue but didn't have a dremel tool at that time. The panels cracked again after a month. I cleaned up the old glue, use the same CA glue to fix the crack, and most importantly borrowed a dremel to make the notches. The panels haven't cracked since the second fix, and it's been a few months and thousands of miles. My seat has always been in the low position.

• 2 weeks later...
Both sides cracked on mine as well, thought the tech at the last major service may have done it but it appears that it may be a design flaw. Looks like some 30 minute epoxy and carbon fiber tape are desperately needed. I have always ridden with the seat in the high position since it was new.

Archived