Cracked side panel

Both sides cracked on mine as well, thought the tech at the last major service may have done it but it appears that it may be a design flaw. Looks like some 30 minute epoxy and carbon fiber tape are desperately needed..."
Shrug. Mine have been cracked for many thousands of miles. You can't tell unless you press on them purposely to try to find the crack. The crack hasn't changed in size, and since you can't see it, what's the big deal?
Keep Asheville weird!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I will probably fix mine one day, but I have to agree with you @bentaero... The crack has not changed and I rarely have the front seat off to remind myself that they are indeed cracked.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Thanks to Voodoo for raising this thread.  I went out to check my bike  - no issues, but I reshaped just in case...suppose I should it add it to my blog actually...

done.
Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

• 4 weeks later...
I saw a video that stated this was a recal in Europe. The new panels have a notch cut in them. It must be only when the seat is in the low position that causes the cracking. I've had no issues. The videos on you tube under channel - critical rider. Apparently they had a shock recall as well.

I saw a video that stated this was a recal in Europe. The new panels have a notch cut in them. It must be only when the seat is in the low position that causes the cracking. I've had no issues. The videos on you tube under channel - critical rider. Apparently they had a shock recall as well.
I've not had a recall for either...should I investigate?  Anyone know anymore? 
Edit... Just checked the government VOSA website. Only one recall for tracer for detaching side cases

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/searches/expand.asp?uniqueID=09AAD6071352FC1980257E83003759B1&freeText=Blank&tx=0.7481588
Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

There is no recall as neither is a safety issue. However I suffered from both issues and Yamaha will replace under warranty if you speak to your dealer.

My bike is booked to go in Tomorrow to have the side panels and shock replaced under warranty. You are correct that the side panels only have the pressure applied on them that causes the crack when the seat is in the low position. If you intend to sell the bike on then it would be the decent thing to get them replaced now, in case the next owner is a short-arse (like me) who needs the seat in the low position. :)

Funnily enough - when I contacted my dealer and they booked it in, they also let me know that it was due the shift-shaft recall, so that's getting done too. I'd bought the bike 2nd-hand which is perhaps why Yamaha UK didn't contact me directly.

• Premium Member
There is no recall as neither is a safety issue. However I suffered from both issues and Yamaha will replace under warranty if you speak to your dealer. 
My bike is booked to go in Tomorrow to have the side panels and shock replaced under warranty. You are correct that the side panels only have the pressure applied on them that causes the crack when the seat is in the low position. If you intend to sell the bike on then it would be the decent thing to get them replaced now, in case the next owner is a short-arse (like me) who needs the seat in the low position. :)

Funnily enough - when I contacted my dealer and they booked it in, they also let me know that it was due the shift-shaft recall, so that's getting done too. I'd bought the bike 2nd-hand which is perhaps why Yamaha UK didn't contact me directly.

Yamaha USA will not replace them. They flat out deny there's a problem, despite the new style parts. My dealer did on their dime. Funny thing is that my right panel is the old style and the left is the new.

Let’s go Brandon

Yamaha USA will not replace them. They flat out deny there's a problem, despite the new style parts. My dealer did on their dime. Funny thing is that my right panel is the old style and the left is the new.
That sucks, I find it hard to believe they can deny there is a problem when they've obviously changed the design to address the problem. Is it perhaps worth contacting Yamaha USA directly rather than through the dealer to point that out?

• 2 months later...
Got both my cracked side panels replaced and installed today at my Yamaha dealer with updated version with cut out (thanks GA checkpoint in Port Moody) at No charge to me. It was a bit of work to finally get Yamaha to say yes to replacing, but easier now that they redesigned the part so they cant say they didn't know about it.

Archived