• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 33 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Wrapping Saddlebag lids Silver ?

mellow

One thing I think Yamaha could have done is paint the GT saddlebag lids on the 2019 Silver to match some of the body panels.  Or even just the inside portion to just make it match better.... I've see someone paint a red one from AUS which looked good...

I may get some wrap and see what I can do...

• Thumbsup 1

Joe,

Let us know how the wrap works out.  I have been struggling to find either stripping  tape or vinyl wrap to try on my lids, but the copper-red is near impossible to match. The other concern I have is how well wrap will adhere to plastic.   I experimented a bit some 1/4” strips I cut from vinyl wrap just to see if I could shape it to follow the contours of the lid, but was not very successful.  I did not apply heat (the final required step) so still not sure about adhesion.  

8 minutes ago, colorider said:

Joe,

Let us know how the wrap works out.  I have been struggling to find either stripping  tape or vinyl wrap to try on my lids, but the copper-red is near impossible to match. The other concern I have is how well wrap will adhere to plastic.   I experimented a bit some 1/4” strips I cut from vinyl wrap just to see if I could shape it to follow the contours of the lid, but was not very successful.  I did not apply heat (the final required step) so still not sure about adhesion.  

I don't think I'll wrap the entire lid, I think I'll just do the 'swoosh' part of it, the center part as that will be pretty flat and should match the rest of the bike.

When I bought mine one of the lids had scratches on it - almost looks like it was dropped but only other mark on the bike was on the very end of the front turn signal.  I swapped that out for the cost of the first service.  SprayMax makes a 2K satin clear which I think would be perfect.  So plan is to sand scratches out and spray with black or some color and then satin finish clear on top.  Few years ago did the plastic tank cover for my CBR with SprayMax 2K clear and it turned out super nice.  They have Yamaha colors but trying to match the black with the speckles in it.  If I had confidence in a copper-red color I would do that - not sure what the paint code for it is.  SprayMax 2K is a 2 part polyurethane that is very hard and should hold up well.  The non lid portions of my side cases, not painted, have some scuff marks from boots and duffle bag.

I had my bike for three days when a car side swiped my left bag and put some nice deep scratches in it. I had thought about trying to paint it with the DYRC4 cocktail, but I'm terrible at painting, and the local paint shops wanted over $200 to paint both bag lids, with ME providing the paint. Freakin 'eh! So I just filled in the scratches with bondo, and dipped them in a satin black. Looks good enough to me!

• Thumbsup 1

1 hour ago, Heli ATP said:

Here is the Copper paint code ......  DYRC4. Yamaha says it's Dull Yellowish Red Cocktail.

Click the link to purchase.

Yamaha 1232 Dull Yellowish Red Cocktail 4 (DYRC4)

Yes, I came on that color a few days ago.  It was used on several models from several years ago.  I’m yet to find an actual color code sticker on my Tracer to confirm it is the same paint color.   It’s pricey and I believe requires a special undercoat as well.   

1 hour ago, mellow said:

Is the copper red similar to my Miata which is Copper Red Mica?

If so.... I painted my engine cover with this and it's pretty darn close.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00407YP8W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

IMG_20200815_113324.jpg

engine_bay.jpg

My sister-in-law has a 2006 in the mica color and I don’t think it’s quite close enough to our copper-red.  

6 minutes ago, colorider said:

Yes, I came on that color a few days ago.  It was used on several models from several years ago.  I’m yet to find an actual color code sticker on my Tracer to confirm it is the same paint color.   It’s pricey and I believe requires a special undercoat as well.   

Indeed, it does. ColorRite can hook you up with everything. But 1.)It ain't cheap. 2.)It ain't easy to apply. I can confirm that DYRC4 *IS* the color code for the 2020 GT. It's listed as such in the global parts catalog.

I have a 2015 model and just picked up GT bags in the Gloss Black at 1/3rd price of new. Problem for me is my bike doesn't have a spec of gloss black on it. My plan is to give PlastiDip a whirl to put them to a similar Flat Black found on the "City Bags" that they sold for my particular MY. Also wouldn't fear knocks/bumps that way. 🤷

Thanks for the paint code!

My experience in motorcycle painting is frustration!  LOL tried to paint a fairing for my CBR600RR and gave up and bought a new one.  New one came with decals that alone were almost the price of the new one!  Had a couple of spots on the tank (really a plastic cover) where the tank bag rubbed thru the paint.  Spent many hours trying to get it perfect - primer, base and red!  Small spots.  Finally gave up and said close enough and put clear coat on top.  Rattle can clear coat rubbed right off when I tried to rub it out smooth.  More frustration!  Finally bought a can of SprayMax 2K gloss clear coat.  After that the tank looked fantastic and the gloss matched the rest of the bike and the two spots I worked so hard on - almost impossible to see.   I sprayed 3 coats with about 15 minutes between.  First way just a fog, second was thicker and the 3rd was a thick coat that flowed and glossed.  

Long explanation but that's why I'm not too worried about painting the lids.  If its your first time, practice first even if you waste a $25 can of paint the finally result will be good.  Biggest problem with the 2 part urethane is the hardener is a dangerous chemical (I have an engineering degree and therefore am not going to even attempt to spell it).  Something to be careful with and follow the precautions carefully.

Edited by PhotoAl

I tried some test wrapping.  sloppy but just for testing out some different designs.  I have some cutting tape on the way which should make the final option look better but this is what I'm thinking about... maybe even adding the 3d Tracer emblem on the bags as well to break up the silver.

IMG_20201013_122345.jpg

IMG_20201013_122405.jpg

IMG_20201013_122422.jpg

• Thumbsup 1