Wrapping Saddlebag lids Silver ?

mellow

34 minutes ago, Yamajank said:

Looks nice but I think I'd like to see what the blue rim color would look like on the bags 

Tough to match that color without buying several.

Edited by mellow
  • Thumbsup 1

4 hours ago, mellow said:

I tried some test wrapping.  sloppy but just for testing out some different designs.  I have some cutting tape on the way which should make the final option look better but this is what I'm thinking about... maybe even adding the 3d Tracer emblem on the bags as well to break up the silver.

IMG_20201013_122345.jpg

IMG_20201013_122405.jpg

Looks nice, can you explain what cutting tape will do?  Did you make a template to cut out the shape?  

3 minutes ago, PhotoAl said:

Looks nice, can you explain what cutting tape will do?  Did you make a template to cut out the shape?  

I did a quick template for this but the lines are off, you'd notice it in person.  Knifeless tape should work much better.

• Thumbsup 1

I got the knifeless tape and it works pretty good once you get the hang of it... definitely better than me trying to cut a template.

So, 2 options... the center part of the bags silver which in my opinion doesn't really follow the other silver parts of the bike... or, just the top and bottom sections which to me looks more like it belongs.

I'm not done as I've ordered both black and silver reflective yamaha emblems/text to either go on the silver panel or black section.  Will post when I figure out which one I like best.  please feel free to comment good/bad/are you nuts...

Funny thing, the center panel looks grey in some light but all the wrap sections are the same color.

IMG_20201020_190032.jpg

IMG_20201020_190111.jpg

IMG_20201020_190251.jpg

I've been contemplating wrapping my lids for almost 2 years now (bought my Tracer GT Nov 2018, 2 weeks old did a parking lot drop lol) Sanded out the deep scratches (not thinking about the primer being white) Just never got around to it. Life is settling a bit though so reconsidering the project. My vision though was carbon fiber or metallic black with blurple top/bottom. 

My immediate thought was also to use the lines of the lid. With the wrap going on partially like you did, does it seem like the wrap may peel? I've never worked with wrap before so just wondering.  

When I initially planned out the project I was planning on keeping all the endpoints inside the lid seal to reduce chance of peeling, but I'm wondering if its even necessary. 

Edited by Bimbim18

2 hours ago, Bimbim18 said:

I've been contemplating wrapping my lids for almost 2 years now (bought my Tracer GT Nov 2018, 2 weeks old did a parking lot drop lol) Sanded out the deep scratches (not thinking about the primer being white) Just never got around to it. Life is settling a bit though so reconsidering the project. My vision though was carbon fiber or metallic black with blurple top/bottom. 

My immediate thought was also to use the lines of the lid. With the wrap going on partially like you did, does it seem like the wrap may peel? I've never worked with wrap before so just wondering.  

When I initially planned out the project I was planning on keeping all the endpoints inside the lid seal to reduce chance of peeling, but I'm wondering if its even necessary. 

Most wrap is pressure and heat applied... apply with pressure and the little card they come with then finish with a hair dryer/head gun as that will heat up and expose any air bubbles but also allow the adhesive to stick better.  I don't think it's going to peel.  With wrap, you want it to lay down and you don't want to stretch it if you can help it as that stores that energy.. that's one reason why I didn't do the whole bag or any complicated edges, just makes it easier and it's more like a decal at that point.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1