New BMWs, OMG!

I went to a BMW demo day today and was shocked!

The Germans have become the EU Harley maker!  There were giant 1800cc cruisers in the line up with seats a mere 20 inches off the ground.  Another new model looked like a knock off of Honda's Harley knock off, the FB6.  What is going on here?  Don't they know Harley is in a death spiral?

I wanted to ride the F900 there was only one in the truck and it was spoken for.  By the way, it is knock off of wonderful FJ / Tracer 900.

The huge finned heads on that 1800cc monster will touch down well before the foot pegs!

Motorad?  Motorbad!

1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

I think BMW knows VERY well that HD is in a death spiral, which means there is about to be a huge new market segment for the taking. All of the motorcycle manufacturers are going after new ground. That's why Honda chose to market the new wings to the younger crowd.

Not that my butt will ever be sitting on a BMW. No way, no how.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, nhchris said:

The Germans have become the EU Harley maker!  There were giant 1800cc cruisers in the line up with seats a mere 20 inches off the ground.  Another new model looked like a knock off of Honda's Harley knock off, the FB6.  What is going on here?  Don't they know Harley is in a death spiral?

I wanted to ride the F900 there was only one in the truck and it was spoken for.  By the way, it is knock off of wonderful FJ / Tracer 900.

The huge finned heads on that 1800cc monster will touch down well before the foot pegs!

Motorad?  Motorbad!

Agree, seems like sometimes they just don't get it. I was a Honda owner my whole life and when looking at the new models and the only one I was interested in was the NX 750 and came darn close to getting one  but spied the Tracer 900 GT. and I was hooked . Double the HP and all the Options got me on board with Yamaha. Honda lost a lifetime owner because their models just lost me 

MIKE

• Thumbsup 4

• Supporting Member
18 minutes ago, GTO MIKE said:

Honda lost a lifetime owner because their models just lost me

Don't give up on Honda just because they don't have anything the catches your eye TODAY, they build some excellent bikes and have some new stuff on the distant horizon...

L5GSWRNDNJBTLB5DJMZ6FVRVQY.jpg

New patents show Honda working on a dual-injected, supercharged Africa...

There is also rumor of a possible 850cc parallel twin and who knows what else they have up their sleeves?

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

17 minutes ago, betoney said:

Don't give up on Honda just because they don't have anything the catches your eye TODAY, they build some excellent bikes and have some new stuff on the distant horizon...

L5GSWRNDNJBTLB5DJMZ6FVRVQY.jpg

New patents show Honda working on a dual-injected, supercharged Africa...

There is also rumor of a possible 850cc parallel twin and who knows what else they have up their sleeves?

OH I agree Honda makes excellent bikes ,I have owned many of them over the last 50 years. As far as the Africa twin ,just doesn't do it for me .

MIKE

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
20 hours ago, nhchris said:

The Germans have become the EU Harley maker!  There were giant 1800cc cruisers in the line up with seats a mere 20 inches off the ground. 

I found this MCN review of the new R18, which seems to be fairly honest and unbiased.   I was astounded to hear that it weighs 750+ pounds.  

To each his own, but I don’t understand what market segment this is targeting.  

• Thumbsup 1

It is a bruiser for sure.  I wonder how much of that 750 lbs the head assemblies account for.  They are MASSIVE!

Upside... low center of gravity!  (as long as they don't touchdown before the foot pegs. :)

head.JPG

Edited by nhchris
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• Supporting Member
7 minutes ago, nhchris said:

It is a bruiser for sure.  I wonder how much of that 750 lbs the head assemblies account for.  They are MASSIVE!

Upside... low center of gravity!  (as long as they don't touchdown before the foot pegs. :)

If I EVER need a motor with that much displacement, I'm choosing the Triumph Rocket III.

• Thumbsup 3

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

38 minutes ago, nhchris said:

BMW saves weight by getting dual functionality out of those engine head assemblies.  They also double as frame sliders.

Chris

• Thumbsup 3
  • Haha 4

• Supporting Member
23 minutes ago, daboo said:

BMW saves weight by getting dual functionality out of those engine head assemblies.  They also double as frame sliders.

Chris

That looks like they could almost double as a kickstand...  

• Thumbsup 1

On 10/10/2020 at 1:16 AM, nhchris said:

Motorad?  Motorbad!

I think BMW isn't copying HD. They don't have to as they have enough heritage of their own.

Just look at the BMW R5 from 1935 and you'll see where the R18 inspiration is coming from.

• Thumbsup 2