Picking up a 2020 Tracer GT Tomorrow

Jayzonk

I haven't done anything to mine yet, but I have ordered the bag liners.  I think they also fit the FJR, and might actually say FJR on them, but that's fine with me.  I don't mind sharing components with that platform!

Did you have to take the side fairing off to install the rad cover?  

Did you install frame sliders too?  I think I am going to stay pretty much bone stock, other than the rad cover.  

As for the tail tidy, I had one on another bike and also removed it....there's nothing wrong with the stock pieces, and, in my opinion, they actually make the back of the bike look complete, and not abnormally truncated.  I think the aftermarket guys want to convince everyone that they are unsightly, but it just doesn't have to be my opinion.  On top of that, their tail "solutions" offer nothing for protection from water, mud, or other debris.  

Edited by Jayzonk

29 minutes ago, Jayzonk said:

I haven't done anything to mine yet, but I have ordered the bag liners.  I think they also fit the FJR, and might actually say FJR on them, but that's fine with me.  I don't mind sharing components with that platform!

Did you have to take the side fairing off to install the rad cover?  

Did you install frame sliders too?  I think I am going to stay pretty much bone stock, other than the rad cover.  

As for the tail tidy, I had one on another bike and also removed it....there's nothing wrong with the stock pieces, and, in my opinion, they actually make the back of the bike look complete, and not abnormally truncated.  I think the aftermarket guys want to convince everyone that they are unsightly, but it just doesn't have to be my opinion.  On top of that, their tail "solutions" offer nothing for protection from water, mud, or other debris.  

The liners are FJR liners and have FJR on them. They are bigger than the Tracer bags, but fit fine.

I removed the side covers when installing my EvoTech rad guard.

Also not a fan of tail tidy solutions.

I have a Pyramid Plastics rear hugger which keeps the rear end cleaner than the stock one.

Rob 

• Thumbsup 1

8 minutes ago, Jayzonk said:

There is no OEM Yamaha radiator guard on the Yamaha Canada website, but I know they make it for other markets.  I see there are some older FJ-09 ones, not sure they'd fit or not.

Not sure, but I've heard the Yamaha one attaches with zip ties (!)

The Evotech one is pricey but super well built and designed. 

• Thumbsup 1

I have the R+G rad guard, it uses the existing mounts and zip ties, I wish I had purchased the evotech and not  cheaped out which was a mistake I seem to have parts left over and the instructions are awful!  Had an evotech on my triumph and it was far superior. 
I haven’t added engine sliders yet but am adding extenda fenders front and back from pyramid.

I have the Yamaha Tom Tom mount for my 550, I ignored the warning not to use the front clamp bolts as the fitment  works better with a tank bag.

• Thumbsup 1

27 minutes ago, Jayzonk said:

Okay, so I suspect the EvoTech one slips under the bolts that hold the rad?  Sounds like a better fix. 

Correct. The installation docs are on their website (which you have probably already seen). Plus the rubber standoffs they supply really do the job of keeping the guard off the radiator. I've used other brands (R&G) on other bikes and they only send you pieces of foam that you have to cut to size. :-/ 

Lots of cheaper, rip-off versions on Ali Express and eBay - but honestly I'd rather support the folks who spend the time and money researching and designing things to protect our bikes. And their customer service is excellent. But that's just me. 🙂

Rob

Edited by rlambke19

As for other accessories, I ordered several pieces from a UK company (no names here), as well as some from a Californian company for an older R3 that I had, and I ended up removing them all. Things that seem well thought-out don't always end up that way...

I think my new mantra will be to stay bone stock unless there is a really compelling reason to change something.  

• Thumbsup 1

1 minute ago, Jayzonk said:

As for other accessories, I ordered several pieces from a UK company (no names here), as well as some from a Californian company for an older R3 that I had, and I ended up removing them all. Things that seem well thought-out don't always end up that way...

I think my new mantra will be to stay bone stock unless there is a really compelling reason to change something.  

Fair enough and 100% agree.

The only things I added/changed on my 2019 was:

-add the rad guard

-swap out the 90's pumpkin bulb turn signals for the OEM Yamaha LEDs (had them installed prior to delivery)

-added a Speedo Angel cover for the TFT dash 

-added rear hugger to reduce spray from rear wheel

I thought about a Scorpion slip-on, but the exchange rate discouraged me. 

Rob

A fender extender for the front might be nice to keep anything from spitting off the front wheel and onto the engine or pipes.  The existing fender looks adequate enough to protect the radiator guard, but not sure if it throws anything before that point?

18 hours ago, Jayzonk said:

A fender extender for the front might be nice to keep anything from spitting off the front wheel and onto the engine or pipes.  The existing fender looks adequate enough to protect the radiator guard, but not sure if it throws anything before that point?

I have the Pyramid front fender extender, but haven't installed it yet. It was reasonably priced and as I was ordering the rear hugger I had them throw it in the box.